Simple experiment

• 17 Replies
?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
Simple experiment
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:08:35 PM »
Heres a simple experiment I just thought of. Using surveying equipment, point a laser in any direction and make sure it is dead level. Then place a reflector as far away as the laser beam allows, angled 90 degrees from dead center. If the earth is flat, the beam should return its origin. If the earth is round, the curve would make the laser bounce back and return higher than its origin, or miss the reflector completely. Do you reckon that would work?
Just noticed my name is actually pretty insulting. Apologies.

Re: Simple experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
Search for "electromagnetic accelerator". If it exists it would explain the results of this test.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »
The light could be scattered, and I think there is little way to find an area long enough, and stable enough to do this. And how could you  make sure the laser and the reflector are standing straight up?
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »
Heres a simple experiment I just thought of. Using surveying equipment, point a laser in any direction and make sure it is dead level. Then place a reflector as far away as the laser beam allows, angled 90 degrees from dead center. If the earth is flat, the beam should return its origin. If the earth is round, the curve would make the laser bounce back and return higher than its origin, or miss the reflector completely. Do you reckon that would work?
The Earth is locally neither flat nor round, but the sum of hills and valleys, no matter what model you believe in. That will not work 99% of the time whether the earth is flat or round.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »
Sorry I forgot to mention this first time. The laser and reflector need to be at the same height above sea level. I dont know how surveying equipment works but it does work. As to light scatter, in RE lasers have been bounced off the moon (admittedly we have a much lower budget but are working with a much smaller distance) and in FE they been bounced off fake satellites at a considerable height. Location should not be a problem, all you need is two hills within view of each other.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:03 AM »
Maybe if you included that the lasers had to be calibrated using gravity instead of the ground itself it might work.....

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »
Problem is, FE'ers don't accept gravity.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
Problem is, FE'ers don't accept gravity.

Real problem is, neither does RE.
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 09:56:59 AM »
? It's not well understood but it is currently considered the most likely theory.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »
? It's not well understood but it is currently considered the most likely theory.

No, it isnt.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »
I'm 14 so I'm not exactly an expert but thats what I thought it was. What do RE'rs think is the most likely theory?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »
General Relativity.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
Which (I think) involves a form of gravity.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »
You would be incorrect.  It destroys gravity.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »
then why is raist suggesting calibrating the lasers for gravity if it does not exist? not that im saying it does

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »
then why is raist suggesting calibrating the lasers for gravity if it does not exist? not that im saying it does
I was using the term interchangeably with gravitation. Someone else specified that we don't believe in gravity.

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
Sorry I forgot to mention this first time. The laser and reflector need to be at the same height above sea level. I dont know how surveying equipment works but it does work.

Not that well. To pull this off you'd have to measure your height above sea level down to the millimeter level, otherwise the margin of error would be too great even with a long distance. Not to mention the problem of making sure your laser is level, a few millionths of a degree off and your results are useless.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
Sorry I forgot to mention this first time. The laser and reflector need to be at the same height above sea level. I dont know how surveying equipment works but it does work.

Not that well. To pull this off you'd have to measure your height above sea level down to the millimeter level, otherwise the margin of error would be too great even with a long distance. Not to mention the problem of making sure your laser is level, a few millionths of a degree off and your results are useless.

Thank you.