The Definitive Star Trails Thread

• 39 Replies
Re: The Definitive Star Trails Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
Consequently I do not believe there is any serious FE-er here.

Oh there are some, believe me. You won't get any answers from them right now - it's way past their bedtime, and the thorazine has been administered and lock down happened hours ago.
I believe the earth is flat because I have a brain the size of a peanut.

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
I submit this lol generating image, showing the direction that celestial north and multiple celestial souths appear at the equator.  So on Flat Earth, north and south are only opposite each other on 3 lines of longitude.  lol. 

There is an explanation as to why noone has noticed it before:  Wizards.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Video proof that the Earth is flat!

Run run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me cos I'm in the lollipop forest and you can't get there!

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 11:45:26 PM »
I submit this lol generating image, showing the direction that celestial north and multiple celestial souths appear at the equator.  So on Flat Earth, north and south are only opposite each other on 3 lines of longitude.  lol. 

That is rather inconvenient for the gear theory.

There is an explanation as to why noone has noticed it before:  Wizards.

I don't know if that is really better than non-existence as an explanation. ;)

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »
You just don't see these variances in real life.

And you have some observations of your own to say otherwise?  ???

What observations or accounts do you have to us proving that the southern systems are always directly south of the observer and never south-east or south-west?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:56:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »

Well yes I do.

What observations or accounts do you have to us proving that the southern systems are always directly south of the observer and never south-east or south-west?

Observations of the direction of stars is very important for navigation.  We do it every six hours, on clear days, using the Sun, Moon, stars or planets.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 02:27:42 AM »
Observations of the direction of stars is very important for navigation.  We do it every six hours, on clear days, using the Sun, Moon, stars or planets.

I've looked into how navigators have historically used the stars for Navigation. They base everything off the direction of the North Star. East is in relation to the North Star. West is in relation to the North Star. South is in relation to the North Star. The navigator must use the North Star with his sextant to find his latitude. The North Star in the Flat Earth model acts the same in the Round Earth model - it points North.

The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

The Southern Cross always points Southward towards Antarctica as it rotates around the outskirts of the Northern hub.

Navigation by celestial bodies is identical to the Round World model.

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 03:13:20 AM »
Identical huh?

Did you find any references on how to navigate in the big patches in the ocean where the stars disappear, or what to do when you see the southern stars both due east, and due west? I'd be interested in seeing those.
Reality becomes apparent to the patient observer. Or you can learn a thing or two if you're in a hurry.

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 03:41:27 AM »

You just don't see these variances in real life.

I've only lived in areas that by my own map would be in the red strip areas, so unfortunately no...

That is unrelated to my assertion though. This anim is a direct extrapolation of your own theory as stated. Your theory would show notable variance in the distance between rim stars on the north and south disks in locations outside the red stripe.

Can you show this? It's your theory, so it's not untoward to ask you to do a little legwork to prove it's veracity.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:43:13 AM by AmatureAstronomer »
Reality becomes apparent to the patient observer. Or you can learn a thing or two if you're in a hurry.

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 04:24:21 AM »
I've looked into how navigators have historically used the stars for Navigation. They base everything off the direction of the North Star. East is in relation to the North Star. West is in relation to the North Star. South is in relation to the North Star. The navigator must use the North Star with his sextant to find his latitude. The North Star in the Flat Earth model acts the same in the Round Earth model - it points North.

No, you are wrong.

Your position can be determined using observations of three or more stars.  The lines of position from those stars will give a position that consists of both latitude and longitude.  These positions are accurate to within tenths of a nautical mile.  Very often, fixes will be made using five stars, none of which are Polaris (North Star).  At the moment, we have been using Arcturus, Antares, Fomalhaut, Dubhe and Jupiter.  The remnants of Gustav have been creating clouds along the northern horizon.

The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

Not always.  Some days it rises in an east-northeasterly direction and sometimes in the east-southeasterly direction depending on the time of the year.  But generally, your statement is true.

The Southern Cross always points Southward towards Antarctica as it rotates around the outskirts of the Northern hub.

And the observed point that it rotates around that is visible to all observers in the southern hemisphere is???

Navigation by celestial bodies is identical to the Round World model.

No, the math doesn't work out the same.  The observed angles to objects less than 6000 miles (since no one can appear to give a good value for this) would be significantly different than the angles to objects that are at a distance of billions of miles.

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »
looks like round earth wins again. 
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Video proof that the Earth is flat!

Run run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me cos I'm in the lollipop forest and you can't get there!