Liquid Water Maintaining Ball Form in Middle of Vacuum?

• 8 Replies
« on: May 14, 2006, 02:51:21 AM »
A Venezuelan flat earther recently summed up his mathematical study rather nicely by asking why would liquid water maintain the form of a ball that exists in the middle of a vaccum?

http://www.geocities.com/levelwater/flatearth.html

- Dionysios

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:03:21 AM »
Due to gravity.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 04:01:08 AM »
anything on geocities is bs
The world revolves due to precisely 61,427 penguins running continuously around the South Pole. If more than 3 of those penguins die simultaneously, our day will be increased by 7 hours.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 05:03:17 AM »
i must say due to gravity as well
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:59:49 AM »
I'm must respectfully disagree with my colleagues and suggest: because of surface tension, a force that tends to accelerate liquid molecules at a gas-liquid interface closer together; equivalently, an energy that is proportional to surface area.  For a given volume of fluid, the minimum surface area of that volume is a sphere of the given volume.  In other words the sphere minimizes the average distance between surface points; equivalently, the sphere minimizes an energy function.

Note that at the relevant scales, surface tension (an electromagnetic phenomenon) overpowers gravitation by a factor of 10^41.

As for this site you've linked, Dionysios, I must say his experimental methods are simply deplorable.  I won't go into my complaints about most of his measurements in this post, but simply focus on his "level water" conclusion from Columbus' notes.

For those of you who have not read the site, I will give a brief summary.  According to the logs -- btw, not the original logs, but an abstract made by a follower of Columbus who was not on the first voyage -- the fleet sailed at 12 mph for some time, then noticed lights on the horizon, then sailed for four hours and sighted land at 8 miles.  The author of Dionysios' website argues that at a distance of 56 miles (4 hours * 12 mph + 8 miles), if the Earth were round, the curvature of the Earth would have prevented Columbus from seeing the land, which he later reported to be quite flat.  Indeed, even assuming the lights seen were at the tops of trees 10 meters in height, then even from the maintop of the Pinta (a caravel), a lookout would have a visible horizon less than 16 miles distant, assuming a calm sea (in fact, the sea had been quite rough that day, so from the waves' crests, a more distant horizon would be visible).

However, the author makes assumptions that are not justified by the passage he quotes.  For one, he assumes that the ship continues sailing at 12 mph for four hours.  Considering the ship was sailing at the darkest hour of night through uncharted waters towards what they thought might be land, I highly doubt that they would continue at such a speed, which would be very dangerous for their ship.  It is much more likely that they slowed down, and therefore -- also taking into account the likelihood that their route was not perfectly straight from then on -- their original sighting would not have been as distant from land as the author calculates.

The other major problem is that there is no evidence that lights seen by Columbus' crew were actually on the island they discovered the following morning.

As is so common on the author's site, many unjustified assumptions are made and inferences drawn.

There seems to be more on this page about water levels but the site is overloaded (probably our fault), so I can't view it anymore.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »
I must agree with Erasmus in that the water forms a sphere due to surface tension, not gravity.
ffiliation:  undecided

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 02:32:21 AM »
Dion is linking to geocites websites for "proof" lol.

?

Hitch

Re: Liquid Water Maintaining Ball Form in Middle of Vacuum?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 04:57:23 AM »
Quote from: "Dionysios"
why would liquid water maintain the form of a ball that exists in the middle of a vaccum?

And who says Earth is a ball of water? 75% of Earth's surface is water and not Earth itself. Last, I remembered Earth had a core and a mantle.

(Do I really need to show proof for this? ;) )

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 09:48:40 AM »
Irrelevant, irellevant, irelevantt. There is indeed a gravitational force at work between nuclear particles and atoms and such, but this is not what holds the water bubble together, it is the surface tension as it is much greater than the gravity forces at work so tehy are basically rendered negligible compared. The effect can however be seen in wigthlessness on board the space shuttle for instance. But this would of course be impossible as the space program is a hoax. As we all know a metal craft is far to heavy to fly unless it is made of wood or something but then it wouldnt be strong enough and catch fire or something if it didnt break first. Also it wouldnt be able to carry enough fuel. Only small rockets can fly high. This is because when you scale something up the volume/area ratio of the object changes. A 10x size rocket has a nozzle with 100x area (ie. 100x the power of the ten times smaller rocket) but it weighs 1000 times as much as the smaller rocket thus making the power to weight ratio smaller!!! 10 times smaller to be exact. This means it can only fly 1/10 the height of what the small rocket can. To make it all teh way up into space you'd need a rocket as small as an atom and no astronauts are that small!!!! Atoms are so small they can't even be seen even with a very very powerful microscope.

But if space flight was possible one could observe freefloating particles clump together as seen in the fake NASA video. The earth on the otherhand is not held together by gravity OR surface tension. It's a whole different thing. When an object comes in contact with the ground or any other object in contact with the ground it will grow these tiny velcro-like hooks on the top and the bottom of the atom, and top hooks hooks into the hooks on the botom making them hook together (this you can actually see but you need a very very powerful microscope). When hooked these hooks will not unhook very easily. They will strech like invisible infinitly thin rubberbands. This is why an object seem to be pulled towards the ground when you lift something, and this is essentially what holds the earth together and gives it the sphere like shape. The only way to get the hooks to unhook is to travel so fast that you go into orbit around the earth cause the rubberband hooks can't take this kind of speed and snaps. This is how the spaceshuttle is able to orbit the earth.
t's not about being the rightest, it's about being the stupidest without being the smartest.