How do you deny private spacecraft?

• 65 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: How do you deny private spacecraft?
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
Look - this is really easy to settle.

Send a polite letter to NASA saying that you want to launch your own spacecraft which will go into a high orbit and ask for the necessary permissions.

If they have nothing to hide, then they'll give you their blessing.

If they bog you down with complicated paperwork and keep delaying you, and you suddenly start getting a lot of attention from the local authorities, then you know there's something else going on, and the FE conspiracy is the likeliest explanation.

All this will cost is the time of writing a letter and a stamp, so why not try it?

Actually, you would have to apply to the FAA for the necessary permits, not NASA: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/commercial_space_transportation/
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
Look - this is really easy to settle.

Send a polite letter to NASA saying that you want to launch your own spacecraft which will go into a high orbit and ask for the necessary permissions.

If they have nothing to hide, then they'll give you their blessing.

If they bog you down with complicated paperwork and keep delaying you, and you suddenly start getting a lot of attention from the local authorities, then you know there's something else going on, and the FE conspiracy is the likeliest explanation.

All this will cost is the time of writing a letter and a stamp, so why not try it?

LOL! What makes you think that paperwork, regulations, international treaties, etc wouldn't be a hassle on RE?

Why would they care? A vertical launch is going to interfere with air traffic a lot less than flying from St. Louis to Chicago. The FAA can easily let pilots know to avoid the area while you're launching your spacecraft.

On the other hand, maybe they WANT you to believe that it's very complicated, thus dissuading you from the attempt.

I notice that the FAA makes it easy to do "suborbital" launches, but has a whole different procedure for high orbit launches. Wouldn't logic dictate that the paperwork is about the same?

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 02:19:47 PM »
Problem is, sending something into space will always involve paperwork. can we answer the questions on the last page?
Just noticed my name is actually pretty insulting. Apologies.

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »
Problem is, sending something into space will always involve paperwork. can we answer the questions on the last page?

Well, wouldn't it be informational to at least say what NASA says? If I wrote them and said I was building a rocket to take me into a high Earth orbit, would they offer suggestions and kind words of encouragement? Or would they be discouraging and tell me about all the obstacles I would run into?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
Well, wouldn't it be informational to at least say what NASA says? If I wrote them and said I was building a rocket to take me into a high Earth orbit, would they offer suggestions and kind words of encouragement? Or would they be discouraging and tell me about all the obstacles I would run into?
I suspect they would be honest, and advise you of all the obstacles. Go ahead and write them.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
It was taken by a fisheye, you can tell by the warping on the letters.
That "Warping" is called a curve. There are curves on things that are Spherical, like the EARTH. There are also curves on other things, like space ships and pop cans.

The spaceship is not a rectangular prism, therefore the words curve along with the craft. Also...the wings are not at all affected by the fisheye lens. That's a little fishy.