How do you deny private spacecraft?

• 65 Replies
?

0wnd1zzl3d

Re: How do you deny private spacecraft?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »
It was taken by a fisheye, you can tell by the warping on the letters.

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 01:50:01 AM »
According to spaceship 1 homepage, the craft gained an altitude of 328,000 feet.  The wing was rotating at that point, (it swivels 90 degrees), so the pic was most likely in the 300,000 foot range.

Oh, BTW...Tom has a point.  Scaled composites IS a government contractor...But Spaceship 1 was contracted by Virgin Group of Companies, which is civilian.  After all,  I don't think Sir Richard Branson is making CD's for the government.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 02:18:26 AM »
The "photo" was
Quote from: the left of that picture
COURTESY OF SCALED COMPOSITES
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 02:58:53 AM »
Terminal altitude of spaceship 1 was 382,000 feet.  Thats 72 miles, 613.3 yards

?

Tim Bishop

• Tom's Brother
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
Terminal altitude of spaceship 1 was 382,000 feet.  Thats 72 miles, 613.3 yards

Kilometers, please.
Yes, it is a birthmark.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
We speak in metric here, you imperialistic pig-dog.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »
Oh, BTW...Tom has a point.  Scaled composites IS a government contractor...But Spaceship 1 was contracted by Virgin Group of Companies, which is civilian.  After all,  I don't think Sir Richard Branson is making CD's for the government.

Umm... No.  Spaceship One was a joint venture by Paul Allen (one of the founders of Microsoft) and Scaled Composites (Burt Rutan) strictly to win the Ansari X prize.

Spaceship Two (still under construction) was contracted by Virgin Galactic.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
Honestly, was that necessary? Most of this thread and most threads like this, I see people
(mostly moderators, of all people ::)) posting just for the sake of posting with no real content to their posts. Take the number of miles and multiply it by 1.6 and you basically get what you want; it's really not that difficult. If someone where to post something in kilometers and I'm used to miles, I'm not going to be an asshole and say "IMPERIAL UNITS PL0X GTFO."

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out if this site's a joke and people are just getting a kick out of people taking it seriously, or if there are people in this world really that pathetic.

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »
Personally, I'm still trying to figure out if this site's a joke and people are just getting a kick out of people taking it seriously, or if there are people in this world really that pathetic.
LOL! You hit it on the nail, people really are that pothetic. xD

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
The earth is flat.
How is that funny?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »

At least they aren't so pathetic that they misspell pathetic.   ::)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »
382,000 feet = 116.433 kilometers.  But until the FAQ gives metric measurements for the moon/sun as well as distances, I'll continue to be an Imperialistic dog.

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
At least they aren't so pathetic that they misspell pathetic.   ::)

*sigh* just a couple posts ago...

Honestly, was that necessary? Most of this thread and most threads like this, I see people
(mostly moderators, of all people ::)) posting just for the sake of posting with no real content to their posts. Take the number of miles and multiply it by 1.6 and you basically get what you want; it's really not that difficult. If someone where to post something in kilometers and I'm used to miles, I'm not going to be an asshole and say "IMPERIAL UNITS PL0X GTFO."

Honestly, what is it with the posters of this site? In this case, I don't care what you're beliefs are, I don't care about this whole "FEers vs. REers," and I don't care about evidence or conspiracies. The purpose of any forum is to discuss and/or intelligently argue with one another about whatever the forum topics are. As I said a little while ago, most of the posts I've seen so far on this site have been, one-word answers (that hardly qualify as answers at all), opinions stated with no evidence what-so-ever, and, my personal favorites, posts that contain absolutely no relative information to the topic at hand and are just posted to give the poster +1 on their post count (honestly, a simple grammer or spelling mistake and everyone has to let the guy know :-\). After all the time I spent on forums, the best advice I can give on posting is "Post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something." Follow that rule and you'll become a more intelligent poster.

Now if only their were some people on this site that could keep these forums under control and keep these rediculous posts off the forums. Oh wait, that's right. Moderators. Surly the moderators can do their jobs and keep these forums clean. That's the case on most forums, but here, the moderators are the worst offenders of this. Here are just a couple I found after two minutes of searching.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=22856.msg471236#msg471236

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=22566.msg465950#msg465950

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=22253.msg471766#msg471766

Those are just a couple quick examples since I don't feel like doing this for more than a couple of minutes.

Now, their are countless posts of FEers, as they're called here, just stating that the earth is flat with no proof to back it up. HOWEVER, I just happened to come across this post...
Um, I hope for your sake that this is a joke. But if not, let me let you in on something. Um, the earth is...ROUND!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Now what did this poster do? He stated that the earth is round with no proof to back up his statement, yet he was banned for it. ::) Their was no foul language, no flaming, what did he do? He went against what you believed in and you didn't like it, so you got rid of him. That is not how a forum should work. Ever. The same rules should apply for everyone, not just those who share the same beliefs as the staff of the forum. Until you realize this, you will never be able to run a somewhat decent forum.

Speaking of which, I just got a message a little while ago in my message box...
The earth is flat.
This is even worse than what TheEarthIsRoundForever wrote, so I'm sure he'll be banned in no time, correct?

This entire post thus far was meant to help this site, so please take my advice. I've been around the internet long enough to know how things are best run, and this site is no different.

As for the beliefs of people on this site, I'm not going to convince anyone of what I believe. Whatever proof I come up with, you'll tell me it's a conspiracy, or an illusion, or is photoshopped, or "it looks flat, therefore it is flat," or that the hundreds of billions of dollars spent over the years on the study of the earth didn't actually happen, and that every single professor, world leader, and even kindergartener understands what you people can't seem to realize. You tell us to keep an open mind, but when we present what the entire world minus you people see as "facts," we're automatically wrong without even an explanation.

So that's my post. Take note, this here is what an intelligent post looks like. I look forward to all of your one-word replies, your opinions stated without facts, and I'm sure at least one post pointing out some tiny grammer or spelling mistake you you can get another post added to your post count. Post away!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:10:46 AM by Brockbfball1563 »

?

dyno

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 01:04:07 AM »
I saw your post Potentiall

You deleted it why? Because you realise that spamming is exactly what a lot of FEs do who don't get banned?

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 01:07:53 AM »
I deleted it because I have my right to delete my own post.  :-\

And no, spamming is bad. That wasn't his first time. That's why the mod banned him.

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 01:19:40 AM »
Wow.  Some RE'ers are making the rest of us look bad.  At least FE'ers don't resort to name calling first.  They only respond when provoked.  I may have to change my alligences just to stay on the civilized side.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
In conclusion: People should stay on subject.

What about concorde? That flew thousands of people at an altitude high enough to see the curve of the earth. An obvious reply is that some kind of screen was placed behind the windows. But this would not work due to weather: Whatever simulation was being run on said screens would differ from real-world weather.
Just noticed my name is actually pretty insulting. Apologies.

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
In conclusion: People should stay on subject.

What about concorde? That flew thousands of people at an altitude high enough to see the curve of the earth. An obvious reply is that some kind of screen was placed behind the windows. But this would not work due to weather: Whatever simulation was being run on said screens would differ from real-world weather.
Well isn't it obvious? There was a conspiracy from the government/NASA/whoever and that they spent billions of dollars to create that.

Or it's an illusion.

Or I can just come in and say "The earth is flat" and leave, but posters here would never post anything like that, especially with no proof ::).

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »
Or I can just come in and say "The earth is flat" and leave, but posters here would never post anything like that, especially with no proof ::).

That's usually what happens. And since it is constituted as spam, and posting in the wrong section as spam is a bannable offense.

Deal with it, that's how it works. Don't like it, you are more than welcome to leave. Besides, the search feature is there for a reason. Cluttering up the forums with redundant crap[/i] is unnecessary, just add to any threads you find on the topic you wish to discuss. It's not that fucking hard.

So before you go telling the mod's how to do their job, make sure to sit back and think of what you are going to say and see if it makes any sense. Because you obviously didn't with that post and the other post you wrote to which I found this post.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 08:49:55 AM »
okay we get it, no spam. Now can we get back on subject?

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »

?

Holy crap!?!

• can't...look...away.....
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »
These post never seem to stay on subject very long  :'(  It seems like once the arguement gets going a lot of drabble is presented in an attempt to swerve the conversation elsewhere.

I like how proof was asked for which then promised return proof but that was completely ignored.

I'm truely interested in seeing evidence that the government has this conspiricy going and that the earth is flat but it seems like none is ever actually presented.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »
I guess that there proof would be that...   We know the earth is flat, but the goverment says it isnt, therefore they are lying. Slightly simplified but thats basicly the conspiracy argument. Only problem is, they dont know the earth is flat. Otherwise this website would not be here.

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »
What IS the point of putting any sort of proof anywhere on these forums... cover-up this and government that... accepted scientific theory is that the Earth is round and all FE'ers are quacks... That being said - I have never gone into space and can't confirm 'facts' myself... Any way, standard scientific practice is that the Burden of Proof is on the proponents against the accepted theory which is the FE ppl... (i.e. cover-up is not an acceptable answer to any reasonable question). 

I have an issue that all of the moderators seem to be FE'ers as well... If the goal was truly honest clean debate the moderators would have no opinion, not FE'ers with 1000's of posts.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »

Those videos are really neat to watch.  Too bad they don't prove a round earth.

svenanders

• I'm always right. If you disagree, you're wrong.
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2008, 02:53:45 AM »

Why not? To me it looks like to earth is round on those videos. Explain please. :)

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »
It's because videos can be faked. Unfortunately, videos can be faked, but experiments cannot be retold with results that are a lie. :P
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:30 AM »

Why not? To me it looks like to earth is round on those videos. Explain please. :)

Ever heard of a fish eye lense?   And even if its not the case, the curved horizon you see my be caused by the spotlight of the sun.  Or possible bent light.  The theories are many.  Those videos do not prove a round earth.

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2008, 08:48:50 AM »
Look - this is really easy to settle.

Send a polite letter to NASA saying that you want to launch your own spacecraft which will go into a high orbit and ask for the necessary permissions.

If they have nothing to hide, then they'll give you their blessing.

If they bog you down with complicated paperwork and keep delaying you, and you suddenly start getting a lot of attention from the local authorities, then you know there's something else going on, and the FE conspiracy is the likeliest explanation.

All this will cost is the time of writing a letter and a stamp, so why not try it?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Look - this is really easy to settle.

Send a polite letter to NASA saying that you want to launch your own spacecraft which will go into a high orbit and ask for the necessary permissions.

If they have nothing to hide, then they'll give you their blessing.

If they bog you down with complicated paperwork and keep delaying you, and you suddenly start getting a lot of attention from the local authorities, then you know there's something else going on, and the FE conspiracy is the likeliest explanation.

All this will cost is the time of writing a letter and a stamp, so why not try it?

LOL! What makes you think that paperwork, regulations, international treaties, etc wouldn't be a hassle on RE?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.