What this site is REALLY about

• 31 Replies
What this site is REALLY about
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that this site is really about pushing the Zetetic philosophy and the Flat Earth arguments are merely a means to this end.

Zetetic - Seeking; proceeding by inquiry

On the surface this seems fine. I expect everyone here (RE and FE) will agree to that. What seems to be sorely lacking in modern society are those people who will think for themselves instead of relying on others to think for them. Enter the Flat Earth Society.

The conspiracy arguments are a ruse designed to force us REers to find our own evidence (as opposed to what other folks have told us). This also explains all the other claims the FE'ers make, like doubting anyone has flown over antarctica, flown in space, etc. Evidence not directly gathered by you is not really evidence.

Think about what this does to us RE'ers. It forces us to come up with more and more basic/fundamental observations and explanations for the world around us, all in an effort to "convince" the FE'ers that the earth is round. If we take just a step out of the "our own evidence" line, they will call us on it.
  • "It's part of the conspiracy"
  • "did YOU observe it or did someone tell you"
  • "how can one person see the same thing 1000 miles apart at the same time?"
  • "you didn't really see that, you saw a dot that you thought was a satellite".

There are 3 behaviors I've noticed on the FE'ers that led me to this conclusion.
  • When us RE'ers push hard enough and finally put forth an argument that is devoid of all heresay (ie rife with basic/fundamental observations that anyone can make) and that should question some fundamental aspect of the FE world view they fall silent. No rebuttal, no acknowledgment.
  • Unlike "RE" science where there is rigorous debate, I have never seen anything close to a similar debate amongst FE'ers here over some of their interpretations of how the world works. This is so because they are NOT trying to advance a theory, instead they are putting forth strawman arguments to force us RE-ers into questioning how we acquired our knowledge in the first place.
  • Despite this, some FE'ers seem to have a good grasp of science and the scientific method.

I think this is a great activity as I agree, too many people rely on others to do their thinking for them. What bugs me is that I don't think this is the best way to get this message out there because there's a lot of people "who already have the message" that are getting caught in the trap.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: What this site is REALLY about
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »
I'm glad if the site has that positive effect on you, but it was founded by someone who genuinely believes the Earth is flat.  Furthermore, the FES will be revived by Daniel and Dogplatter soon as an official society with membership, activities and what not, populated by genuine FE'ers.

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that this site is really about pushing the Zetetic philosophy and the Flat Earth arguments are merely a means to this end.

On the surface this seems fine. I expect everyone here (RE and FE) will agree to that. What seems to be sorely lacking in modern society are those people who will think for themselves instead of relying on others to think for them. Enter the Flat Earth Society.

The conspiracy arguments are a ruse designed to force us REers to find our own evidence (as opposed to what other folks have told us). This also explains all the other claims the FE'ers make, like doubting anyone has flown over antarctica, flown in space, etc. Evidence not directly gathered by you is not really evidence.

Think about what this does to us RE'ers. It forces us to come up with more and more basic/fundamental observations and explanations for the world around us, all in an effort to "convince" the FE'ers that the earth is round. If we take just a step out of the "our own evidence" line, they will call us on it.

There are 3 behaviors I've noticed on the FE'ers that led me to this conclusion.
  • When us RE'ers push hard enough and finally put forth an argument that is devoid of all heresay (ie rife with basic/fundamental observations that anyone can make) and that should question some fundamental aspect of the FE world view they fall silent. No rebuttal, no acknowledgment.
  • Unlike "RE" science where there is rigorous debate, I have never seen anything close to a similar debate amongst FE'ers here over some of their interpretations of how the world works. This is so because they are NOT trying to advance a theory, instead they are putting forth strawman arguments to force us RE-ers into questioning how we acquired our knowledge in the first place.
  • Despite this, some FE'ers seem to have a good grasp of science and the scientific method.

I think this is a great activity as I agree, too many people rely on others to do their thinking for them. What bugs me is that I don't think this is the best way to get this message out there because there's a lot of people "who already have the message" that are getting caught in the trap.

You couldn't have said that any more perfectly. Even me, who most people think is the stupidest person on this board for little or no reason, have made the FErs "silent" before.
We told you to go to rehab, but you were all like "no, no, no!" ::)

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:31:28 AM »

You couldn't have said that any more perfectly. Even me, who most people think is the stupidest person on this board for little or no reason, have made the FErs "silent" before.
Lol. No you haven't. There is tons of reason we think you are stupid. If you won't admit we have evidence I will start a thread asking for quotes from you proving that you are stupid. Let's see how many pages it will go to.

?

Nightmare

• Flat Earth is gay??
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »

"It's part of the conspiracy"
"did YOU observe it or did someone tell you"
"how can one person see the same thing 1000 miles apart at the same time?"
"you didn't really see that, you saw a dot that you thought was a satellite".

When us RE'ers push hard enough and finally put forth an argument that is devoid of all heresay (ie rife with basic/fundamental observations that anyone can make) and that should question some fundamental aspect of the FE world view they fall silent. No rebuttal, no acknowledgment.
Unlike "RE" science where there is rigorous debate, I have never seen anything close to a similar debate amongst FE'ers here over some of their interpretations of how the world works. This is so because they are NOT trying to advance a theory, instead they are putting forth strawman arguments to force us RE-ers into questioning how we acquired our knowledge in the first place.
Despite this, some FE'ers seem to have a good grasp of science and the scientific method.

(Omninous clapping.) Very good. Very good.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:47:40 AM by Nightmare »
forum browser

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
The side effects of the website are many things to many people.  I think it was set up as a straight forward attempt to contact any flat earth believers.  That it has also evolved or devolved is open to discussion.  Maybe Daniel will provide the answer.  :)

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »

Well said.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:47 PM »
You have made a very well endowed point.  I've often tried to come up with a conclusion as towards why people think the earth is flat, I've only come up with one solution.  In grade school, the teacher showed them the map of the US......thus thinking the world is flat. 

Great post though!!!!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
You have made a very well endowed point.

Is that a point in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Regarding the OP, although he's fundamentally correct on many points, I'm not sure that he's correct about this being the site's purpose.  Just because an REer can come and make these observations doesn't mean that the founder and the regular FEers don't really believe the earth is flat.  It was a good post, though, albeit one founded on a point that has been made many times on these forums.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
I'm glad if the site has that positive effect on you, but it was founded by someone who genuinely believes the Earth is flat.  Furthermore, the FES will be revived by Daniel and Dogplatter soon as an official society with membership, activities and what not, populated by genuine FE'ers.

?

trig

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »

I'm sorry, but I have to differ.

I have seen only one apparent FE'r that has a grasp of the scientific method: Robosteve. The others, to the best of my knowledge, enter ranting mode every time they are asked to give even a hint of a model, a prediction, a proposed experiment and results from the experiment.

The best that you can get from them is experiments that require a trip to Antarctica, or at least the use of a boat for a thousand mile trip. Any experiment that anyone can do with a small telescope and/or a few trips by car is immediately rejected.

The fact that there is no agreement even in a map or a way to predict the position of the celestial bodies and almost nobody cares is a telling indictment on this forum's lack of interest in the scientific method.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
Robosteve is not a FE'er.  Lurk moar.  All the complainers in this thread have missed the basic point of this site.

?

trig

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »
Robosteve is not a FE'er.  Lurk moar.  All the complainers in this thread have missed the basic point of this site.
That is truly sad. Then I have to say that the state of knowledge and effort towards a scientific FE theory is even worse than I thought.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »
That went zinging right over his head, Saddam.  Lower your aim next time.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »
You're right.  Allow me to elaborate:

The only active FE'ers on this website are Daniel, Dogplatter, Username, and Tom Bishop.  That's it.  The rest of us use the site because it's fun to debate a seemingly impossible to defend position.  When newbies uncover a hole in FET, they take it way too seriously and explode into rage about how anyone can be so stupid as to believe the earth is flat.

So to all newbies, let me just say, relax.  This website was made to debate the shape of the Earth.  The majority of us regulars argue for FE simply because it's fun.

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »

Lol. No you haven't. There is tons of reason we think you are stupid. If you won't admit we have evidence I will start a thread asking for quotes from you proving that you are stupid. Let's see how many pages it will go to.

Lol. Yes I have. The only reason you think I'm stupid is because some other fag told you, and the reason they think I'm stupid is because some fag told them. I have more a life (and a brain) than most people here can ever hope. Who said I have to SOUND smart to BE smart? Huh?

Exactly.
We told you to go to rehab, but you were all like "no, no, no!" ::)

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »

The only active FE'ers on this website are Daniel, Dogplatter, Username, and Tom Bishop.  That's it.  The rest of us use the site because it's fun to debate a seemingly impossible to defend position.  When newbies uncover a hole in FET, they take it way too seriously and explode into rage about how anyone can be so stupid as to believe the earth is flat.

So to all newbies, let me just say, relax.  This website was made to debate the shape of the Earth.  The majority of us regulars argue for FE simply because it's fun.

Argue.....That is a great word. However, there is a lack of plausability in your "argument" that you cannot rationalize without "going into a rage" about conpsiracies, NASA ETC. That I think was the original point.

WE are the logical, rational people here. YOU are the one who is depending on magic and heresay. Although it might be "fun" to debate it here, that just shows how much evidence you lack. You need to resort to defense mechanisms like "we just do it for fun".

It's called being Passive Agressive.

?

Holy crap!?!

• can't...look...away.....
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »
It took me about a day and a half of reading here to come to a similar realization-thus my screen name. I find the actual discussions interesting. Some things make the site seem a little childish but for the most part it's a lot of fun.

But you shouldn't have said anything out loud  ;)  It's like telling everyone how a magic trick works.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
Argue.....That is a great word. However, there is a lack of plausability in your "argument" that you cannot rationalize without "going into a rage" about conpsiracies, NASA ETC. That I think was the original point.

Actually I think you completely missed the point.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »

WE are the logical, rational people here. YOU are the one who is depending on magic and heresay. Although it might be "fun" to debate it here, that just shows how much evidence you lack. You need to resort to defense mechanisms like "we just do it for fun".

It's called being Passive Agressive.

I have no idea what being passive-aggressive has to do with this website.  And I don't recall ever saying anything about magic.  How am I using a defense mechanism?  I already said that I don't believe the Earth is flat.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »
I'm here for the fun but occasionally there's more and it can keep me awake at night.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed."
                                                                                                 Albert Einstein
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:24:51 PM by Mrs. Peach »

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »
Im here to argue for FE and occasionally against it. Its funny when noobs think Im an FEr.

Oh and for the lulz.

cbreiling

• The Earth is Flat
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »
Im here to argue for FE and occasionally against it. Its funny when noobs think Im an FEr.

Being a noob myself, I'm still at the state that I take everyone completely seriously. I'm hoping that will wear off soon, because it might be fun to argue for FE.

But I will say, than in constructing my arguments for RET (silly me, I know), I've done a lot of reading and research that I wouldn't have otherwise done. Now I'm picking back up A Brief History of Time, which I've never gotten through, and I even learned Right Ascension and Declination even though I'd heard those terms since 1984, yet never bothered to learn what they were. This site has been very good to me, even if I don't "get it" yet. Give me time.  :)

BTW, I just looked up the definition of Troll, and it would seem that anyone arguing for FE other than true Flat Earthers, are, by definition, trolls! Hmmm.
Quote from: lolz at trollz
It's because you asked about data. Theories can be pulled from the rectum without any apparent embarrassment, but pulling data from there is embarrassing even here. lol

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 12:00:36 AM »
Being a noob myself, I'm still at the state that I take everyone completely seriously. I'm hoping that will wear off soon, because it might be fun to argue for FE.

I dont consider you a noob. I mostly bait the "omg earth is round cuz we have photos111!" posters we always get.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »

I dont consider you a noob. I mostly bait the "omg earth is round cuz we have photos111!" posters we always get.

That's certainly one type of "goofy" argument I've noticed, and in this day when Iran photoshopped an extra ICBM in a launch picture... it should be MORE suspect rather than less suspect.

The other one that... I seem to be detecting (still too new myself) is, what I'll call the "big gun" argument. Many noobs seem to trot out "RE's best and most successful theory" (ie general relativity) as 'proof' that the earth is round. All with barely an understanding of newtonian gravitation themselves.

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »
That's certainly one type of "goofy" argument I've noticed, and in this day when Iran photoshopped an extra ICBM in a launch picture... it should be MORE suspect rather than less suspect.

The other one that... I seem to be detecting (still too new myself) is, what I'll call the "big gun" argument. Many noobs seem to trot out "RE's best and most successful theory" (ie general relativity) as 'proof' that the earth is round. All with barely an understanding of newtonian gravitation themselves.

Even better is  "I am a physics student who knows everything about relativity. Now why isnt the earth going faster than the speed of light?"

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »

Even better is  "I am a physics student who knows everything about relativity. Now why isnt the earth going faster than the speed of light?"

You just can't have this sort of "fun" with evolution/ID for example. The science is too far removed from the realm of "back yard" experimentation. "Yea, just look at chromosome 22 and notice the 2 bands of telomeres that are adjacent to each other in the middle of the chromosome. That clearly indicates a merger of 2 previously separate chromosomes and hence evolution at work." - what... can't do that experiment yourself? Here, borrow my "Darwin in a bottle" kit.

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 01:59:09 AM »
[Even better is  "I am a physics student who knows everything about relativity. Now why isnt the earth going faster than the speed of light?"

There are lots of pilots out there too.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »
Back to "serious" again (such as it is here). If this were a legitimate site it would be run completely differently.

By way of analogy, if I have a flat tire on the roadway, do I set up a "support group" to "discuss" the issues involved in having a flat tire on the roadway or do I set about actually solving the problem?

To drive this analogy home, if this were a serious site, issues would be raised and discussed for clarification. Issues that were misunderstanding of basic FE "theory" would be explained away and issues that needed deeper investigation would be identified and put on a list somewhere. Then serious people would set about working toward resolving these real issues.

And before any "serious" FE'er responds with "yea, we would be run this way if we had funding", well... that's just an excuse. A serious answer would be to tackle that problem from the point of view of "what can we do without funding?". Propose some experiments, develop a budget for said experiments, and then start raising funds to run those experiments. This is the way serious people get stuff done in the real world. Serious people turn excuses into obstacles to be overcome, not permanent road blocks.

This is an extremely interesting site from a social experiment/internet meme "fly-paper" point of view, but from a legit FE point of view... it's not even a good fake.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »
To drive this analogy home, if this were a serious site, issues would be raised and discussed for clarification. Issues that were misunderstanding of basic FE "theory" would be explained away and issues that needed deeper investigation would be identified and put on a list somewhere. Then serious people would set about working toward resolving these real issues.

All different aspects of FET have been explained many, many times.  The problem is that newbies who don't lurk, read the FAQ, or use search keep asking the same questions over and over again.

And before any "serious" FE'er responds with "yea, we would be run this way if we had funding", well... that's just an excuse. A serious answer would be to tackle that problem from the point of view of "what can we do without funding?". Propose some experiments, develop a budget for said experiments, and then start raising funds to run those experiments. This is the way serious people get stuff done in the real world. Serious people turn excuses into obstacles to be overcome, not permanent road blocks.

This website is not an organization, it is simply a place to debate FET.  Only a few posters genuinely believe that the earth is flat, and they are not organized.  Currently, Daniel and Dogplatter are working to re-set up the official FES, and they have plans to actually do some stuff.

This is an extremely interesting site from a social experiment/internet meme "fly-paper" point of view, but from a legit FE point of view... it's not even a good fake.

You don't know this website better than we do.  Several of us have been here for years, and you've been here for a few weeks.  I will say that this is an extremely interesting post from a noob point of view, but from a legit non-dumbass point of view...you don't know what you're talking about.  Use this website properly and don't be an asshole or GTFO.