Sinking Ship experiment Results

• 487 Replies

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
Re: Sinking Ship experiment Results
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2009, 09:10:41 AM »
It's not light bending like bendy light unless you use very thin layers of denser and denser materials.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
It's not light bending like bendy light unless you use very thin layers of denser and denser materials.

Actually, bendy light requires light to bend in a direction opposite to what normal atmospheric refraction would cause.  The atmosphere generally causes the the sun to appear higher than it really is.  Bendy light would need to cause the sun to appear lower than it really is in order to explain sunsets.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Optimus Prime

• Autobot Leader: Keeper of the Matrix of Leadership
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
I am going to try to come up with a new child's toy or maybe a Spencer's type of adult gift named "Bendy Light" ... it just sounds cool.
Dyslexics are teople poo!

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
I should've said in a smooth curve. I apologize.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »
you know i write like this on purpose just to weed out the imbeciles who criticize grammar, punctuation, etcetera  from the people with brains who debate me on the relevant topic at hand. thank you for making my daily task of finding an idiot so much easier.

« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2009, 04:24:23 PM »
you know i write like this on purpose just to weed out the imbeciles who criticize grammar, punctuation, etcetera  from the people with brains who debate me on the relevant topic at hand. thank you for making my daily task of finding an idiot so much easier.

It's too bad for you that you contributed nothing relevant to the discussion.
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

Optimus Prime

• Autobot Leader: Keeper of the Matrix of Leadership
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »

Well, not to put too fine a point on it but - why criticize others about 'making your daily task' easier, when you were supposedly never coming back [or more accurately 'gone']. It would appear that you are the one coming back for more so ... you are simply getting what you ask for. Not to mention that kind of sounds like the old axiom 'the pot calling the kettle black' wouldn't you say?

Enjoy,
- Optimus
Dyslexics are teople poo!

« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »
It's not exactly the same thing, but it's in a similar vein.

When doing point to point wireless installs (bridging), one must actually add height to each antenna mast to ensure that the signal (and the accompanied Fresnel zones) clear the curvature of the earth (and then one adds height for obstructions like trees, hills, houses, etc).

Why don't we try the ship experiment with wireless bridges? Find two shores more than 10-20 miles apart (yes, they'll reach), hook up the antennas as close to water level as safe, and see if we hit anything.

« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2009, 05:36:03 AM »
Why don't we try the ship experiment with wireless bridges?

The sinking ship experiment works with just about anything. It was probably devised at a time when ships were the tallest man made object that many people could regularly observe.

But it works just as well for buildings, bridges and masts as well as natural objects such as mountains / volcanoes.

?

dyno

« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2010, 07:01:34 AM »
Any of the newer FE's want to comment?
Any of you thought of any better arguments?

How is that bendy light theory going?

« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »
I haven't read but about 100 posts into this and I realize that ideas about light "bending" may have changed since two years ago when this thread started, but if light bends around earth like some posts where saying, then why on a RE at night when the sun is on the opposite side of the earth does a person not see the light bending around the earth?

I think it makes better since to say that light travels at a straight line and only changes angles once it hits the Earths atmosphere.  But like I said, I haven't finished reading through this marvelous "debate."

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »
I haven't read but about 100 posts into this and I realize that ideas about light "bending" may have changed since two years ago when this thread started, but if light bends around earth like some posts where saying, then why on a RE at night when the sun is on the opposite side of the earth does a person not see the light bending around the earth?

I think it makes better since to say that light travels at a straight line and only changes angles once it hits the Earths atmosphere.  But like I said, I haven't finished reading through this marvelous "debate."
You didn't even start reading through it.
ITP: applying FET to RE.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »

You didn't even start reading through it.
ITP: applying FET to RE.

And you wonder why people troll here.  1) I stated that I had started reading and  2) I mentioned information from posts in this thread.  Seriously, you act the age of the person in your avatar.  And since this is the debate forum, you really shouldn't have pointless threads, i've heard it may lead to bans.

The only reason I said anything at all was because I knew I wasn't going to get through all 23 pages of posts anytime soon and I wanted to express a thought that ran through my head before I forgot it.  Regardless of FE or RE, my question about light in a straight line (instead of "bending") was legit.

Raver

« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2010, 08:10:43 AM »
Welcome to the FES, that is pizzaplanet, he will make many such comments during your time here. There is hardly ever a reason to respond to him as he is usually wrong and just likes to poke people with his e-fork. I hope you enjoy your stay nonetheless.
Quote from: Gen. Douchebag
Quote from: Raver
Why? You a pedo out for delicious loli?
Sure, whatever

Lorddave

« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2010, 08:40:07 AM »

Because the light bends upwards when it goes away from the Earth and downwards when it goes towards the Earth.
This eventually causes the light to bend 90 degrees.  If you were to look above the Earth and sun you'd find yourself looking at multiple suns and moons.

Look, I don't make this stuff up, I just tell you how they see it.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2010, 09:28:06 AM »
And you wonder why people troll here.  1) I stated that I had started reading and
And I claim that you lied, based on the fact that you didn't know the basic information contained in this thread at the moment of your posting. Reading threads before posting is fundamental, though often unpracticed by people such as Raver, who then complain for not being taken too seriously. who generally have no will to be taken seriously.

2) I mentioned information from posts in this thread.
Which doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Seriously, you act the age of the person in your avatar.
That's me.

And since this is the debate forum, you really shouldn't have pointless threads, i've heard it may lead to bans.
This thread isn't pointless.

The only reason I said anything at all was because I knew I wasn't going to get through all 23 pages of posts anytime soon and I wanted to express a thought that ran through my head before I forgot it.
You should have at least tried.

Regardless of FE or RE, my question about light in a straight line (instead of "bending") was legit.
The question isn't legit at all. You're asking why people why FET doesn't work when applied to RET. It reminds me of people who ask: "If Darwin was so damn smart, then why is he dead?"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:22:35 AM by PizzaPlanet »

Raver

« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
who then complain for not being taken too seriously

Please be so kind as to point out where I do that. Furthermore one doesn't need to read entire threads to realize that you troll a lot and when you are not busy trolling you are busy with getting your facts all wrong.
Sure, whatever

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #467 on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »
Furthermore one doesn't need to read entire threads to realize that you troll a lot and when you are not busy trolling you are busy with getting your facts all wrong.
Incorrect.

Please be so kind as to point out where I do that.
I stay corrected. You actually don't want to be taken serious. Evidence:

raver, I have just taken a look at your messages here...my advice to you is that you should study physics further...then you will have a much better chance to be taken seriously...

Who said I wish to be taken serious?
I apologize for the unnecessary confusion and will keep that in mind from now on.

Raver

« Reply #468 on: July 10, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
Furthermore one doesn't need to read entire threads to realize that you troll a lot and when you are not busy trolling you are busy with getting your facts all wrong.
Incorrect.

I stay corrected. You actually don't want to be taken serious. Evidence: implications at the very most

raver, I have just taken a look at your messages here...my advice to you is that you should study physics further...then you will have a much better chance to be taken seriously...

I apologize for the unnecessary confusion and will keep that in mind (you have one of those? :o) from now on.

www.rif.org

Fix'd :)
Sure, whatever

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #469 on: July 10, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
Incorrect.

I stay corrected. You actually don't want to be taken serious. Evidence: implications at the very most

I apologize for the unnecessary confusion and will keep that in mind (you have one of those? :o) from now on.

www.rif.org

Oh, so it was an example of complaining after all? Okay.

Raver

« Reply #470 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
Incorrect.

www.rif.org

Oh, so it was an example of complaining after all? Okay.

Ty for proving my point, you are attempting to troll.
Sure, whatever

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #471 on: July 10, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Ty for proving my point, you are attempting to troll.
Quite the opposite. You are stirring the topic up by casting pointless and baseless accusations. I encourage you to stop.
On the other hand, thank you for admitting that I was right.

Raver

« Reply #472 on: July 10, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »
Quite the opposite. You are stirring the topic up by casting pointless and baseless accusations. I encourage you to stop.

Stop talking about yourself, it is considered rude.

Yes, you were right about being a troll. I also encourage you to stop telling people if their questions are legit or not, grow up kid, when someone asks a genuine question like the person did and you answer in the way you did, it is just trolling (or at the very least you are doing your best to appear as one).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:40:06 AM by Raver »
Sure, whatever

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »

I know you are but what am I?

How mature.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »

Stop talking about yourself, it is considered rude.
lol semantics.

Yes, you were right about being a troll. I also encourage you to stop telling people if their questions are legit or not, grow up kid, when someone asks a genuine question like the person did and you answer in the way you did, it is just trolling (or at the very least you are doing your best to appear as one).

How mature.

Raver

« Reply #475 on: July 10, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
Still trolling I see?
Sure, whatever

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
Still trolling I see?

Look, Raver, if you want to post up here, I'm gonna have to ask you to keep your posts on topic and stop trying to stir up trouble.  If you want to flame PizzaPlanet do it in Random Musings where such behavior is tolerated.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Raver

« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »
Still trolling I see?

Look, Raver, if you want to post up here, I'm gonna have to ask you to keep your posts on topic and stop trying to stir up trouble.  If you want to flame PizzaPlanet do it in Random Musings where such behavior is tolerated.

I apologize, I might have gone to far, I am not trying to stir any trouble. Just pointing out that PP's way of treating someone new (and polite might I add) is usually considered to be an act of trolling, but I shall refrain from posting here again as you wish so long as PP stops his attempts to troll bait me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:31:11 AM by Raver »
Sure, whatever

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »
I wasn't trolling anyone. You just jumped in with accusations.

« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »

I know you are but what am I?

How mature.
If you wish to flame Raver, please do so in RM where such behavior is accepted. Thanks.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards