Square Earth?

• 22 Replies
?

chester

Square Earth?
« on: May 06, 2006, 08:53:48 PM »
How about it?  My illustration is just a rough beginning to my theory.

And no, I'm not mocking the site.  I'm dead serious.

?

GeoGuy

Square Earth?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 08:58:53 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, you are the thousandth person to think of this. Its still not especially funny.

?

chester

Square Earth?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 09:06:50 PM »
I'm not trying to be funny.

?

GeoGuy

Square Earth?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »
Edit: Actually, if you are really serious thats fine. But you need to understand that there is on average 10 to 12 people a week who say the exact same thing in an attempt to be funny, so I'm a little skeptical when I see something like this. But if you really are working on a theory for this then go for it.

?

chester

Square Earth?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:41:21 PM »
I apologize for not digging up one of the other threads to post in.  I just recently got on the site and have just now begun my searching.

As far as my theory goes, the Earth could possibly be square or rectangle, but we view it as round.  Same goes for any other object in the universe.  Somewhat like a neo-cubist painting, to an extent.  The rotation of the universe combined with the rotation of the Earth and other objects in space, stretch and reshape all objects making them how we see and feel them.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Square Earth?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 09:15:36 AM »
Quote from: "chester"
As far as my theory goes, the Earth could possibly be square or rectangle, but we view it as round.  Same goes for any other object in the universe.

What happens when somebody travels to one of the edges?  Do they notice that there's an edge there?  If not, why not?

The rotation of the universe combined with the rotation of the Earth and other objects in space, stretch and reshape all objects making them how we see and feel them.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me.... can you explain what you mean and why it would work in a bit more detail?

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

lotexigeus

Square Earth?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:02:05 AM »
whoa chester! i believe in the cube earth too, makes much more sense than the flat earth. we should go start a forum.

?

chester

Square Earth?
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 08:32:06 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
As far as my theory goes, the Earth could possibly be square or rectangle, but we view it as round.  Same goes for any other object in the universe.

What happens when somebody travels to one of the edges?  Do they notice that there's an edge there?  If not, why not?

The rotation of the universe combined with the rotation of the Earth and other objects in space, stretch and reshape all objects making them how we see and feel them.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me.... can you explain what you mean and why it would work in a bit more detail?

-Erasmus

No, they wouldn't notice an edge.  Reason being (and this should answer your next question): I think of it somewhat like centrifugal forces.  Everything in the Universe is spinning so fast, that the "gravity" the objects are creating, causes every object to pull its molecules to completely reshape.  If you hold half a glass of water in your hand and spin in circles, the water goes towards the outer most part of the glass.  If you rotated your arm fast enough in a vertical motion, the water would stay in the glass.  Same concept I'm getting at, except with very large amounts of force and with solid objects.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Square Earth?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 09:25:21 PM »
No, they wouldn't notice an edge.  Reason being (and this should answer your next question): I think of it somewhat like centrifugal forces.  Everything in the Universe is spinning so fast, that the "gravity" the objects are creating, causes every object to pull its molecules to completely reshape.  If you hold half a glass of water in your hand and spin in circles, the water goes towards the outer most part of the glass.  If you rotated your arm fast enough in a vertical motion, the water would stay in the glass.  Same concept I'm getting at, except with very large amounts of force and with solid objects.

So, the cubical Earth is spinning very very fast, and this prevents us from noticing these enormous 90-degree deviations in the direction in which the ground is going?  I'm still not following you.

Square Earth?
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »

what does centripetal force have to do with people not noticing 90 degree turns in the shape of the Earth?

?

chester

Square Earth?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 09:46:13 PM »
The force is actually re-shaping Earth to make it round.  At a stand-still, Earth is square, but while in a super-fast rotation, the Earth is turned into a sphere.  It's not just an optical illusion.  The same goes for any object...other planets, plants, animals, etc.

I've included an illustration, but now that I look at it, it doesn't do much explaining.  I'll work on another one and post it sometime tomorrow.

Square Earth?
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 04:17:25 AM »
Hell yeah its square!

Look, I have proof: an animated time lapse picture of the earth from a high altitude satellite

?

Leffit

Square Earth?
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 04:11:59 AM »
The force is actually re-shaping Earth to make it round. At a stand-still, Earth is square, but while in a super-fast rotation, the Earth is turned into a sphere.

Well, seeing as all of these forces are constant, surely that means that the earth IS a sphere. Or do you have some sort of super device that stops things spinning at their supermassive speeds? And if this theory can be proven, what shape are cubes when we're not spinning? And what shape are those shapes when not spinning? How come we can still see these shapes? If a sphere goes to a cube, then this mean that the number of vaces and vertices are decreasing, so eventually, there is a 2D shape at the end? Does this mean that the world is actually flat? Or that the world is a cube, and everything in it either has less sides than it appears or has none at all? Boy, so many points to disprove and or prove. Stop being so vague and explain it properly!

Square Earth?
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 10:25:21 PM »
chester wrote:
As far as my theory goes, the Earth could possibly be square or rectangle, but we view it as round. Same goes for any other object in the universe.

Erasmus wrote:
What happens when somebody travels to one of the edges? Do they notice that there's an edge there? If not, why not?

I Wrote: What happens when somebody travels to one of the edges? Do they notice that there's a 150 metre tall ice ring there? If not, why not?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Square Earth?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 10:31:36 PM »
Quote from: "FungusMcUncle"
I Wrote: What happens when somebody travels to one of the edges? Do they notice that there's a 150 metre tall ice ring there? If not, why not?

No.  If you examine the diagrams carefully, you'll discover that the edges of the square Earth do not have ice rings on them.

Square Earth?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 10:34:17 PM »
FungusMcUncle wrote:

No. If you examine the diagrams carefully, you'll discover that the edges of the square Earth do not have ice rings on them.

I'm refering to the Flat Earth in the above quote, you ask why no-one has noticed the edges of the square earth so I'm asking why no-one has noticed/photographed the ice ring at the edge of the flat earth.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Square Earth?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 10:40:46 PM »
Quote from: "FungusMcUncle"
I'm refering to the Flat Earth in the above quote, you ask why no-one has noticed the edges of the square earth so I'm asking why no-one has noticed/photographed the ice ring at the edge of the flat earth.

If the Earth is flat, then anybody going near the ice wall or rim would indeed see the ice wall or rim.

I'm just trying to imagine how the oceans might have 90°-turns that would go unnoticed, as I inquired, to no avail, so very long ago.

Square Earth?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »
has anyone been to the "edge"/ice cliffs/ring and returned to your knowledge? If so was it in recent times, ie any photos, video (not that that constitutes proof either way)

Square Earth?
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »
What force do Flat Earthers propose propels Earth "upward", would'nt the immense weight of the ice-cliffs at the edge of the Earth disc prevent Earth from travelling upward?

Square Earth?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 04:47:54 PM »
Oh no, no flat-earther can answer this now can they.....

?

qwe

Square Earth?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 12:26:09 AM »
i think that what the original poster was getting at, is that, if you have any object and move it around fast enough, it creates effectively a sphere or other shape (depending on the angles of rotation) that one could hypothetically walk on as if it were a real sphere

so, according to his model, if we stopped the earth from its super fast spinning, we'd realize it's really a cube in shape

unfortunately, he didnt provide any evidence as to why this might bet he case, and there is plenty of evidence that earth is actually spherical (how would you DIG deep into the earth if it were a rotating cube?)

?

qwe

Square Earth?
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 12:29:29 AM »
FungusMcUncle,
this guy came up with his own answer...
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2104

Square Earth?
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 12:57:16 AM »
lol outward gravity?

i smell pseudoscience.