What about high altitudes?

• 65 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: What about high altitudes?
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »
So no one who is a FEr is even going to respond to my picture and observations?

It's a convexed window.

?

LogicIsBetter

• Round Earth Romanticist
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »

Here are my observations:
2.  The sun's rays are not curved
3.  The plane's wing is not curved (maybe slightly upward from the bending caused by flight, but not like the horizon)
If you claim the curve is caused by the distortion of the glass, then see #'s 2-3.

So why does the convex glass not cause the wing to appear curved?  Why are the sun's rays not curved?

I sat behind that glass on the tarmac in Tokyo and nothing at the airport was distorted by the window.  Also, if there is any curve to the window, it is in the opposite direction of the curve in the horizon (the curve would follow the round shape of the body of the plane) -- from front to back, it would be relatively flat.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:26:58 PM by LogicIsBetter »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 01:05:39 AM »
The plane's wing is curved, only its curved upwards.

When a plane is in flight its wings aren't perfectly straight. Airplane wings (even on a jumbo jet) are quite bendy. In flight an airplane's wing can bend all over the place.

Watch this: http://www.videosift.com/video/Boeing-777-Wing-Stress-Test

?

spacemanjones

• Magic pushes earth
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 02:57:44 AM »

The wing is thicker near the body and gets thinner as it gets closer to the tip. The wing looks to slightly curve down, then further down the tip it curves up. This could be because of the suns glare, I donít know.

The horizon is curved in the picture Iím sure we can all see this.

I made a few lines on the most visible rays on the Sun and they all seemed very strait to me.

Just wondering what you FE think.

?

LogicIsBetter

• Round Earth Romanticist
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 06:00:09 PM »
The plane's wing is curved, only its curved upwards.

When a plane is in flight its wings aren't perfectly straight. Airplane wings (even on a jumbo jet) are quite bendy. In flight an airplane's wing can bend all over the place.

Watch this: http://www.videosift.com/video/Boeing-777-Wing-Stress-Test

So sounds like we all agree the wing is bent upwards very slightly because it's made of aluminum and it's holding up a plane.  That bending is real, not an illusion caused by any curve of the window.  I pointed this out in my initial post of the picture. 

Nice side stepping of the issue, but to continue with the logical part of my question, if the wing is actually curved ever so slightly, but the horizon is curved much more, in the opposite direction, even though both the horizon and wing are seen through the lower half of the window, then how is the window causing this illusion of a curved horizon?

It would appear the convex glass theory fails to provide adequate explanation of the observation.  Besides I could just as easily argue that a convex glass was working in the opposite direction of the curve of the earth and partially flattening it.  Without measurements of the glass and its optical qualities at that particular angle, how can you know what its effect would be?

It can't be that a convex glass will always cause something flat to appear curvier but never cause something curved to appear flatter.

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
I think the point Tom is making is that the wing is curved upwards more than appears in the photo. But the effect that is curving the horizon down is also "straightening" the wing of the plane.
Quote from: General Douchebag[/quote
If Eminem had actually died, I would feel the force realign.
Quote from: ghazwozza
Of course it doesn't make sense, it's Tom Bishop's answer.