There's your proof

• 7 Replies
There's your proof
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Firstly Phileas Fogg has travelled eastward around the world in 80 days ;D

How do you explain one of the oldest proofs of the Earth's shape?

"When a full Moon occurs in the plane of Earth's orbit, the Moon slowly moves through Earth's shadow. Every time that shadow is seen, its edge is round. the only solid that always projects a round shadow that I know of  is a sphere? "

would be interested to know FE thoughts on this article...

"This is a question that has been asked for many years, and there are some very intuitive, and some not-so-intuitive answers.

To start with... there's a horizon, meaning that the surface that one is observing from is not an infinite plane. On the clearest of days, the only restriction to one's range of sight is the horizon. There can be two explanations for this - one, that the Earth at some point just stops, as if you were looking off the edge of a table. The other is that the Earth is round. Hundreds of years ago, before the invention of the compass or sextant, precise navigation for ships was difficult, even with the stars. Ships that ventured past sight of land were often lost, and thus it was generally believed that the world simply *stopped* at the end of the horizon. With the invention of the compass, and improved map-making, people began to dare more, and with the return of Columbus from his trans-Atlantic voyage, the concept of the Earth as flat was shattered.

Further proof of the Earth being round came after the voyage of Columbus. When Newton discovered and measured the force of gravity, that number could then be tested anywhere the theory was known. Since the force of gravity is roughly the same everywhere on the globe, it could be surmised that the Earth must be spherical. If the Earth were not round, whole hemispheres would have different atmospheric pressure and significantly different sea levels. Also, pictures taken of the Earth in the last 50 years have proved absolutely conclusively that the Earth is round. These are just the arguments that don't require much physics knowledge to explain, there are others that are more technical, but I think that the simplest arguments are the best. "

Answered by: Frank DiBonaventuro, B.S., Physics grad, The Citadel, Air Force officer

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:59:30 PM by jackjchalmers »

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
Re: There's your proof
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
They think it's an "invisible point". And I can't believe I'm doing this next part.

FAQ.
We told you to go to rehab, but you were all like "no, no, no!" ::)

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »
They think it's an "invisible point". And I can't believe I'm doing this next part.

FAQ.

One of us... one of us... one of us...
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:29:26 PM »
Robosteves theory on the Electromagnetic Accelerator accounts for this.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »

Which one is the "official" theory? What about the atmospheric density one, or the vanishing point ala bishop?
Ooompa ooompa

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »

Which one is the "official" theory? What about the atmospheric density one, or the vanishing point ala bishop?

Which one is the official RET? GR or QM?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
Look carefully at the image in the OP. You'll see that the "smaller" ship is literally just a scaled-down version of the bigger one. I can see the waves at the bottom.

It's certainly Conspiracy propaganda for young children, but obviously the GlobCon goon who drew it up had a sense of humour and included a subtle allusion to the truth (they did this with the UN logo as well).
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
It's certainly Conspiracy propaganda for young children, but obviously the GlobCon goon who drew it up had a sense of humour and included a subtle allusion to the truth (they did this with the UN logo as well).

Doggy is seeing things again.
We told you to go to rehab, but you were all like "no, no, no!" ::)