Gravitation

• 8 Replies
Gravitation
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »
I just want to get one thing straight:
FE'ers believe in gravitation. (not gravity)

Is this correct?
Ooompa ooompa

Re: Gravitation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
Basically. There is no gravity (referring to the force) but there is gravitation, which seems to mean that some objecs attract each other when it is convenient for FET and for no easily explainable or universal reason.

E.g. the stars attract each other in such a way that they have wierd unexplainable orbits, but different parts of the Earth don't attract each other because that would cause it to collapse in on itself.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
Sounds pretty simple to me.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

lindelof

• DADA IS NOT DEAD. WATCH YOUR OVERCOAT.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »
but different parts of the Earth don't attract each other because that would cause it to collapse in on itself.

The gravitational tug produced by terrestrial objects is, of course, very well observed.  It's called Gravimetry.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:25:53 PM by lindelof »

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »
Basically. There is no gravity (referring to the force) but there is gravitation, which seems to mean that some objecs attract each other when it is convenient for FET and for no easily explainable or universal reason.

E.g. the stars attract each other in such a way that they have wierd unexplainable orbits, but different parts of the Earth don't attract each other because that would cause it to collapse in on itself.
and you forgot that these little tiny dots in the sky will exert enough gravitation to cause you weight to decrease in a 1/r2  unless you talk to another member of the FES then they do not, but then sometimes the earth does have gravitation properties but then again sometimes it does not
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:04:19 AM »

Right, so what causes gravitation, how strong is it, and why hasn't the Earth collapsed into a sphere by now?

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 01:15:08 AM »

♫ You say gravitation and I say gravity
♫ You say geodesic and I say force
♫ gravitation , gravity geodesic, force,
♫ Let's call the whole thing off!
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:15:06 AM »
but different parts of the Earth don't attract each other because that would cause it to collapse in on itself.

The gravitational tug produced by terrestrial objects is, of course, very well observed.  It's called Gravimetry.

That's what I've been saying all along.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »
Right, so what causes gravitation, how strong is it, and why hasn't the Earth collapsed into a sphere by now?
I have no idea what the mechanism is.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson