Triangulation

• 10 Replies
Triangulation
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
Hi FE:s! I stumbled upon your forum and got very curious and interested in your theory.

One thing that crossed my mind is the matter of triangulation on a sphere vs a flat surface. I have searched the forum but no hit.

I would love an explanation for this. It might be a two part question actually, and they are stated from FE viewpoint:
1. How can one travel from one point to another in a straight line, using triangulation as means of navigation instead of magnetic compass, and measure the distances between points on the disc to be other then expected?
2. Why does triangulation need to be compensated (for curvature) when measuring large areas?

Please excuse any bad spelling, im from Sweden..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:03:09 PM by Josef »
Ooompa ooompa

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: Triangulation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
Perhaps you could rework your first question? I found it difficult to get a good read on what you were asking.

To your second question, how do we know this data must need be compensated for? Do we know that over large distances the margin of error is so small that it could not account for this need?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
To clarify:
1. I have read here that traveling in a supposedly straight line actually is curved, because of the centered magnetic pole. But there are other ways of navigation. I took the example of triangulation.
2. We know that because it is needed to make the formula work on a sphere. There is also spherical triangulation, which is used in for example flight navigation.
Ooompa ooompa

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
1. Travel in a cardinal direction of East or West results in a curve on a sphere or a disc.

2. I have never used non-euclidean geometry for flight planning. I can't imagine the distances that need be involved to make a difference even if the earth were curved as claimed.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
1. I dont understand.. Are we talking disc as in a disc shaped bent universe where its impossible to reach the edge. Or a disc-shaped body?
2. So there is distances that makes a difference?

To elaborate nr2; Why does "people" find it useful to use spherical geometry and trigometry in these areas? Does it have something to do with the acceleration of the universe vs light maybe?

Are all matters of visual navigation in that case affected by that "bent(?) light theory"?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:55:29 PM by Josef »
Ooompa ooompa

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
1. I dont understand.. Are we talking disc as in a disc shaped bent universe where its impossible to reach the edge. Or a disc-shaped body?

You are on the top of a Round Earth. You are ten feet from the point of Magnetic North. You pull out your compass and wish to travel Eastwards continuously. Where does your path take you?

?

trig

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »
You are on the top of a Round Earth. You are ten feet from the point of Magnetic North. You pull out your compass and wish to travel Eastwards continuously. Where does your path take you?
If you pull out your compass when you are ten feet from the magnetic North, the needle will try to point directly down, so it is useless. It is not important whether your Earth is flat or round. And if you are on the top of a Round Earth, you are on the Everest.

Theoretical experiments, in certain cases, just show your own ignorance.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »
If you pull out your compass when you are ten feet from the magnetic North, the needle will try to point directly down,

Replace ten feet with ten hundred miles if it will make you feel any better.

so it is useless. It is not important whether your Earth is flat or round. And if you are on the top of a Round Earth, you are on the Everest.

Semantics.

Theoretical experiments, in certain cases, just show your own ignorance.

The thought experiment was made to demonstrate a very simple point that east is at a right angle to north and that traveling eastwards takes one in a circle around the North Magnetic Pole. If you are unable to comprehend that point, then it just reflects on your own credulity.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:37:17 AM »

I see what you are trying to say. But did you read my initial post? Im not talking about magnetism or magnetic compass at all..
Ooompa ooompa

?

dyno

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »
Using trigonometry for navigation will allow straight line travel.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:50 AM »
Using trigonometry for navigation will allow straight line travel.

Thank you.
Ooompa ooompa