Can I please join?

• 11 Replies
Can I please join?
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »
Reading this forum for the past few hours has led me to the conclusion that this whole movement is one elaborate joke, probably perpetrated by a bunch of scientists giggling in their lab at people's incredulity of it all.  It is by far the most preposterous theory I have ever heard in my life and a quick browse through the FAQs and other posts immediately exposes huge holes in their arguaments.

For example, the FAQs state that the conspiracy is orchestrated by governments, yet many supporters here say that it is just NASA as they want the money from the government but don't want to spend it all so they can keep it for themselves.  So which is it?  If it is the government, what do they have to gain from it?  Also, I really love the arguament that no one has a photo of the ice shelf at the edge as "the government" will shoot you down if you get too close.  Brilliant!  Which government are we talking about?  Does the ice shelf have its own one?

Anyway, I think it is all great fun and would love to join in too.  I am going to go to the pub tonight and tell all of my friends that I believe the earth is flat and delight in their bewilderment and whenever they come up with solid scientific evidence to the contrary I will say "Ah, but that's what they want you to think".

Re: Can I please join?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
If you manage to gain entry to their ranks, please let me know how I can join too. Especially if you get a badge.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »
I am definately hoping for a badge.  And a book of crazy counter-arguaments to clear evidence against, although I suspect that "That's what they want you to think" is kind of a catch-all.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
Kindly keep your drivel in the "Complete Nonsense" section.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
LOL @ "ranks"

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »
Oscar, surely if drivel was consigned to the complete nonsense section of this forum, pretty much everything written would be in there.

?

narcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:25:41 AM »
As the official flat earth society spokesman, I hereby grant you both access to our society and make you formal members of our boards.

Congratulations!

?

youarewastingyourtime

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:05:34 AM »
Hi

I'm a complete newcomer to this forum and I will be adding my 1 penn'orth then leaving. Doesn't anyone actually understand that the whole purpose of this forum is to have arguments? The FE people, if they are genuine in their beliefs and not just perpetrating an elaborate joke, are in exactly the same class as religious fundamentalists. They are not open to any argument which is counter to their beliefs, thus trying to have a rational discussion by using any form of evidence which the non-FE person may consider to be valuable is a complete waste of time and only likely to result in anger, childish abuse and a sense of futility. The only rational response to the FE nonsense is to completely ignore it. This then entirely removes the Flat Earthers' reason for existence and saves many, many hours of time which could be used far more fruitfully in trying to design a perpetual motion machine. The latter activity would certainly have more chance of success than you will ever have in convincing the FEs that they are wrong.

So long, and thanks for all the laughs.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:15:12 AM »
I completely agree with you.  There is no chance of having a rational discussion here as you have to be entirely irrational to belive in the theory.

However, It is great fun trying.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »
I can assure you, that whilst the majority (indeed the vast majority) of people on this site arguing for FET are doing so in jest, there are a number among us, myself included, who are committed to the advance of FET, and, in order to be explicit, genuinley believe the earth is flat, as any clear, open mind would inevitably conclude.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:56 AM »
I suppose that you may be right. NEEMAN  There are many, seemingly clever, people out there who believe in Intelligent Design so I suppose it is not a huge leap to assume that some people may also believe in FET.  However, I suspect that only a tiny handful of people on here (if any at all) actually believe in it and the rest are just having fun at winding others up.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 02:31:53 AM »
You would be correct- it is only a small number (as I say, the vast majority are in fact RE'ers), but you should by no means consider this place a hoax.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord