The Earth is round

• 24 Replies
The Earth is round
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:32:18 AM »
A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to stand on the highest point on Earth, Mount Everest.  At over 29,000 feet, you can clearly see the curvature of the Earth.  Assuming NASA didn't put up screens with a slightly rounded horizon on the top of Everest in their dastardly plan, this is all the proof I need that the Earth is not flat.  I am more than happy to provide photo's from the summit, should you wish to see them.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: The Earth is round
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:59 AM »
Well, you've bad eye sight or are a liar. The curvature of the earth, by globularists' own admissions would only be visible from an altitude in excess of 60,000 feet. I personally have never seen this curvature in flight, and have flown at all altitudes between the ground and FL420.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:05:45 AM »
Ski, I am confused by your comments.

In a message I posted earlier, I mentioned that I had an uncle who is an airline pilot and you used the fact that he obviously has not seen the curvature of the earth as evidence of the conspiracy.  However, in this thread you have stated that even if the earth was round, you would have to be at 60,000 feet to see it.  I'm pretty sure passenger aircraft don't fly that high.  Therefore, by your own admission, an airline pilot should not be able to see the curvature even if the earth was round.

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:07:44 AM »
Usually, passenger airlines fly to around 40000 feet. I think what Ski was getting at in the other thread was that even if the Earth was round, your uncle's claims would regrettably be false.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:10:53 AM »
lol, no he wasn't.  He was using that as evidence that the earth is flat.  Then he contradicted that in this post.

You chaps are great fun.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
lol, no he wasn't.  He was using that as evidence that the earth is flat.  Then he contradicted that in this post.

You chaps are great fun.

It doesn't read that way to me. I think you're just seeing what you want to see, something which the Globularist Conspiracy clandestinely trains the general public to do very well through their indoctrination program (i.e. academia).
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:37:55 AM »

You chaps are great fun.

You were going to ask your uncle about this, and I asked you to ask him about the curvature. If he's honest, he's never seen this alleged curvature -- it's not possible even were the earth spherical. I also said high-altitude photos (from weather balloons, for example) showed a curvature consistent with what one would expect from a disc, not a sphere. I'm not sure where I've contradicted myself.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:38:39 AM »
Well, you've bad eye sight or are a liar. The curvature of the earth, by globularists' own admissions would only be visible from an altitude in excess of 60,000 feet. I personally have never seen this curvature in flight, and have flown at all altitudes between the ground and FL420.

Would you please cite your reference to the curvature of the RE only being visible above 60,000 feet?  I found a Wikipedia article saying that the curvature would be slight at 33,000 feet, but it doesn't say that it's undetectable at that altitude.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:40:16 AM »

Maybe curvature was the wrong word to use.  I've read that 60,000 feet is generally accepted as the altitude that the curvature is very pronounced.  From the top of Everest the horizon is clearly not flat, however.  There is a slight bulge in the middle and the edges tail off.  Maybe not a curve in the perfect sense of the word, but certainly not flat.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 07:42:13 AM »
My dad is a scientist and used to work with NASA, I have met a former astronaut when he was over visiting the UK and he talked about his time in space. He's a good friend of my dads and was clearly very emotionally moved by his time in space orbiting our fine planet.
SO I guess he must have been part of the conspiracy and a potentially Oscar winning actor yes?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:01:14 AM »

Would you please cite your reference to the curvature of the RE only being visible above 60,000 feet?  I found a Wikipedia article saying that the curvature would be slight at 33,000 feet, but it doesn't say that it's undetectable at that altitude.

I've seen the figure so many times I assume it to be reliable. I know I've not seen it up to FL420. So slightly more than 2/3's that height no curvature is evident. Well above the height (13,000' worth) of Everest.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 08:07:33 AM »

I've seen the figure so many times I assume it to be reliable. I know I've not seen it up to FL420. So slightly more than 2/3's that height no curvature is evident. Well above the height (29,000' worth) of Everest.

Fixed that for you.

BTW, what is your field of view like from an airline window vs. standing on top of Mt. Everest?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »
42000-29000= 13000   

Well above the height (13,000' worth) of Everest.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:05 AM »
You cannot compare standing on the top of Everest to looking out of a small window in a plane.  Probably being the only person on this site who has done both, I can say with absolute certainty, that you can see a curved horizon from Everest's summit.  You can stand there, do a 360 degree panorama and see the curve clearly.  You cannot possibly do this in a plane window that is maybe 10 inches across.

Thats why you can't see the curvature from a plane, not because a curvature doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:15:51 AM by jackcarr »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:23:01 AM »
42000-29000= 13000   

Well above the height (13,000' worth) of Everest.

Not trying to nit pick too much, but the way that you wrote that suggests that the the 13,000' refers to the height of Everst, not above Everest.  Perhaps something like "Well above (13,000' worth) the height of Everest" would have been clearer.

BTW, you didn't address my point about the difference in the respective fields of view.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
You cannot compare standing on the top of Everest to looking out of a small window in a plane.  Probably being the only person on this site who has done both, I can say with absolute certainty, that you can see a curved horizon from Everest's summit.  You can stand there, do a 360 degree panorama and see the curve clearly.  You cannot possibly do this in a plane window that is maybe 10 inches across.

Thats why you can't see the curvature from a plane, not because a curvature doesn't exist.

Not all plane windows are so small.

Please produce photos of you at the summit of Everest.

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
I don't see any curvature there, assuming that is in fact you.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 09:08:04 AM »
http://www.philippegatta.fr/everest/

Phillipe is a French alpinist and endurance athlete who I have had the pleasure of climbing with in the Alps.  Look at his photos, in particular the one at 4:20 am and the summit day ones.  Clear curvature.

Imageshack keeps screwing up for me, but I have very similar ones that I'll try and upload asap.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
At over 29,000 feet, you can clearly see the curvature of the Earth.
pics or it didn't happen

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
http://www.philippegatta.fr/everest/

Phillipe is a French alpinist and endurance athlete who I have had the pleasure of climbing with in the Alps.  Look at his photos, in particular the one at 4:20 am and the summit day ones.  Clear curvature.

Imageshack keeps screwing up for me, but I have very similar ones that I'll try and upload asap.

Are they wide-angle shots, I wonder?

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »
I don't know, but I highly doubt Phillipe is part of the NASA conspiracy.  To be honest, if you're not convinced by photos clearly taken from space, I highly doubt photos from up a mountain will sway you either.

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
At over 29,000 feet, you can clearly see the curvature of the Earth.
pics or it didn't happen

Flat earth?
Pics or it doesn't exist

and yes, there are loads of pics/video of a round Earth so come on guys.........

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »
Surely you jest. How many of the pictures depict an earth without curvature? Most of them.

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
Has no one in the southern hemisphere ever complained about why everything seems so far apart compared to how far their maps are telling them it is. Particularly those poor cruises in the Antartic circle the deviation by that point must be massive.