Is a conspiracy just an excuse to ignore evidence?

• 6 Replies
Is a conspiracy just an excuse to ignore evidence?
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:24:44 AM »
It seems to me that many people will cry "conspiracy" as an excuse to ignore overwhelming evidence against their agruament.  It allows someone to claim that all the evidence is faked, not matter how solid or convincing it is.  This has been used an excuse for so many things from the moon landings to 9/11.  Of course, you could also claim that relgion is one giant conspiracy.  The eveidence against it is overwhelming, yet people still have blind faith in it. (see the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster for an arguament that is just as plausible as Intelligent Design).  I digress.

I have only just found out about FET and I find it bemusing (and quite ammusing) that people really believe in this stuff.  My uncle is an airline pilot and, according to FET, he must be in the pocket of NASA as, surely he would notice something was not quite right about this "round" earth.  I'll have to ask him next time we speak.

My guess is that the proponents of FET are a mixture of the seriously deluded, insane or those who make money out of the whole thing (writing books, making speeches, holding seminars etc).

I don't mean to be rude or insult people but, surely, surely, no reasonable and rationable person can believe in this?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: Is a conspiracy just an excuse to ignore evidence?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:28:03 AM »
Please ask your uncle if he has ever seen this alleged curvature while in flight. I know I have not.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have seen it.  Not on a vertical axis but certainly on a horizontal one.  I am not expert in these things, but I would expect that you would need to be a lot higher than 30,000 feet to see it on the vertical.  The world is a pretty big sphere you know ;)

Actually, maybe I am seeing the edge of the disc.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »
Exactly. All high-altitude pictures from independent sources (and most even from space agencies) show an arc segment more consistent with a disc. In no way does the earth appear to be falling away at the edges. In fact, in most cases, the earth's surface seems to be falling away below the observer and rising as it recedes to the visual horizon.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:50:46 AM »
The Conspiracy isn't "an excuse" - we just call it like we see it. If it genuinely appears that a conspiracy to hide the shape of the Earth is occuring, it's not somehow unscientific to say so.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 06:58:49 AM »
Hi Dogplatter

I'm not sure I follow.  Although I have not browsed this site throughly, I have not seen any evidence whatsoever that, even slightly, points to the earth being flat.  There is a mountain of evidence to show it is round so, I am sorry, but I disagree with you entirely.  I cannot see how something can "genuinely" appear to be a conspiracy when there is little or no evidence for it and a wealth of scientific evidence against.

I am all for people haveing their own opinions, but an opinion is something like "I like that film", "I find her attractive" etc.  On something subjective.  This is like saying that 2+2 does not equal 4 but actually 5 and it is a conspiracy perpetrated by maths teachers around the globe as they actually siphon off the excess pennies from our bank accounts. 

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:06:21 AM »
Branners, if I may, I'd like to suggest you take a little time to examine some evidence which does suggest a Flat Earth. S Rowbotham's "Earth Not a Globe" is a primary Flat Earth textbook which contains a multitude of experiments whose results, when replicated, suggest that the Earth is a plane. There are a large number of other publications with other experiments and evidence, but ENaG is a great starting point for "beginners" (globularists).
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901