Perpetual motion/"free energy"

• 301 Replies

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
Perpetual motion/"free energy"
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
I saw some youtube videos the other day on the subject, among them one which claimed to have a working free energy device called the "OC MPMM", where I'm guessing MPMM stands for Magnetic Perpetual Motion Motor, but which seemed fake. Have any of you seen any working perpetual motion devices, or heard of any?
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Re: Perpetual motion/"free energy"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »
Physically impossible. Well unless you count fundamental forces and gravitation. Lolinfinite energy!!

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »
What do you mean when you say fundamental forces? I don't get it.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:06:01 PM »
It's just a little thing that always niggles me about physics how all these interactions seem to have an endless supply of energy.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »
The point of any free-energy machine is to make use of natural energy, like as you said the fundamental forces.  Gravity, Magnetism, and more modernly vacuum energy.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:19:38 AM »
Perpetual motion is technically not possible: things don't run by themselves. It violates the law of conservation of energy, which states that "energy can never be created or destroyed, but only conserved".

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:19:41 AM »
It's kinda funny, because I got flamed on youtube when I Said that perpetual motion is impossible. ::)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:06 AM »
It's kinda funny, because I got flamed on youtube when I Said that perpetual motion is impossible. ::)

Was it in response to a pro perpetual motion video?  Because that would make sense.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »
There's all sorts of loons out there building "perpetual motion" machines in their garages and basements. In fact I'm going to have a look on youtube right now, I fancy a laugh :D

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »
There's all sorts of loons out there building "perpetual motion" machines in their garages and basements. In fact I'm going to have a look on youtube right now, I fancy a laugh :D

If one of those machines actually worked, the maker would be famous already.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »
They can't work, they all lose energy due to friction, and have horribly inefficient ways to reuse gravitaional potential energy or magnetic energy.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
If this one works the way I'm envisioning it does, then it is certainly possible.

If I had the technical know-how, I'd definitely make my own.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:53:18 PM »
I'm skeptical. I've seen a mower that ran on water. The guy was a scam artist. All it was was that the battery separated the water and then burned the hydrogen. It was simply a battery powered mower. It recharged the battery as it went but it could only recharge the battery a percentage of the electricity it used. I pointed this out to the guy in front of my family and a bunch of people. He called me an idiot and the people believed him. i lawled.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »
If perpetual motion is possible, or if someone successfully developed a free energy engine, the energy industry will do anything to destroy (or buy off) such device or perhaps assassinate the developer.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:31:08 AM »
If this one works the way I'm envisioning it does, then it is certainly possible.

If I had the technical know-how, I'd definitely make my own.

"idear"

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 06:59:03 AM »
I didn't pay too close attention to the link that I provided, but I'm guessing that it works along the line of setting up magnets in such a way that the repulsion and attraction forces the spinning motion (Can't remember if they said that specifically in the video).

Of course, doing that naturally with precise placement would be incredibly difficult to impossible, so allowing some of the power to adjust the orientation would serve as the best method to getting something incredibly efficient as they claim. Maybe not free energy, but something incredibly useful.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 07:07:02 AM »
Or... more realistically, they'll buy it and sell them at some huge fee each.
Uh, that's what I said.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:49:34 PM »
If perpetual motion is possible, or if someone successfully developed a free energy engine, the energy industry will do anything to destroy (or buy off) such device or perhaps assassinate the developer.
They wouldn't do anything to destroy it. They would much rather be able to sell something that they get for free, than have to find drill, then turn into power fossil fuels, all while having to deal with pollution standards and all the yellow tape they go through. It would make them RICH.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
I didn't pay too close attention to the link that I provided, but I'm guessing that it works along the line of setting up magnets in such a way that the repulsion and attraction forces the spinning motion (Can't remember if they said that specifically in the video).

Of course, doing that naturally with precise placement would be incredibly difficult to impossible, so allowing some of the power to adjust the orientation would serve as the best method to getting something incredibly efficient as they claim. Maybe not free energy, but something incredibly useful.
The best you'd get there is a frictionless spinning device I believe. Any energy you take out of the system by say generating electricity, would slow it down. Eventually you'd take all the energy out of the system and it would stop. If any of these guys were real they'd have MILLIONS of dollars of investments, because who wouldn't want to get in on free energy? It's a scam.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
The ISS maintains a constant orbit around the earth despite the friction with the atmosphere it still resides in.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
The ISS maintains a constant orbit around the earth despite the friction with the atmosphere it still resides in.
the resistance is minimal, I remember that either it takes a tiny bit of spin out of the earth, or that it will eventually fall from orbit. Also the earth is flat. So you're wrong.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »
The ISS maintains a constant orbit around the earth because of the frictionless atmosphere it resides in.

Corrected.
It's not frictionless though. If there are air molecules, then there is air resistance. It might be so slight it doesn't affect its orbit. I do not know. I won't claim to know.

But narc believes the earth is flat so his argument is invalid.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

It's a scam.  Notice how he said there was coolant running to the machine?  How is the device producing 5x its initial energy all the while producing electricity and heat?  Producing electricity via a magnetic field produces 'resistance' within the field.  The greater the energy draw, the greater the resistance. 

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »

It's a scam.  Notice how he said there was coolant running to the machine?  How is the device producing 5x its initial energy all the while producing electricity and heat?  Producing electricity via a magnetic field produces 'resistance' within the field.  The greater the energy draw, the greater the resistance. 
of course. I said that it would lose energy. All free energy is a rip. Now super efficient solar is what we need to look into.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:51 AM »
They wouldn't do anything to destroy it. They would much rather be able to sell something that they get for free, than have to find drill, then turn into power fossil fuels, all while having to deal with pollution standards and all the yellow tape they go through. It would make them RICH.

Similar to the R&D being done for possible use of hydrates.
objectively good

narcberry

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »
The ISS maintains a constant orbit around the earth because of the frictionless atmosphere it resides in.

Corrected.

Instead of asserting your retarded claims as injections in more brilliant posters posts, feel free to make your own post so we can more easily identify the contributor of wasted thought.

Air is frictionless, gonna put that in the RE hall of fame.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
People have been try do to this sort of think with magnets for decades.  It's always the ones in working in "sheds".   Gyroscopes hold another fascination for these people.  Before that they were trying to do it with water wheels.  It goes on and on.

Magnets are subject to the same energy laws as anything else.  Will these people ever learn.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »

Corrected.
It's not frictionless though. If there are air molecules, then there is air resistance. It might be so slight it doesn't affect its orbit. I do not know. I won't claim to know.

But narc believes the earth is flat so his argument is invalid.

Actually, the friction does affect the ISS orbit.  From time to time the ISS needs to have its orbit boosted (usually via the shuttle) to put it back where it should be.  Anybody remember Skylab?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
I don't, acually. But I have heard that satellites have jet boosters for staying 'afloat'.

narcberry

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »
So you guys are admitting that orbit is impossible.
Gotta love RE.