Antarctica

• 45 Replies
Re: Antarctica
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:57 AM »
My guess is that the ice crystals help visible light propagate in the antarctic regions.

Is there any evidence for this?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »
Dude, it's a Tom Bishop guess. Good luck getting that in there.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
So if you shine a line on some snow, it will light up the whole area?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »
Yes
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
...another win for FE!

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 05:29:45 AM »
How can ice crystals, not only reflect light around the entire circumference of the Earth, but light up the area to make it seem that the light is coming from the sky?

This is an example of something that can be tested and measured and it could give FE theory a bit of credibility.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:44 AM »
You've clearly never driven in fog during cold weather or seen an aircraft enter a cloud with its landing lights on.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »
And you've clearly never experienced daylight when the sun is below the horizon.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »
And you've clearly never experienced daylight when the sun is below the horizon.

Outrageous!

::)
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 08:21:56 AM »

Outrageous!

::)

You're outrageous you dirty gay bear

What I meant was even though there was no snow the ice crystals reflected the light to make it look like there was daylight coming from the sky...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 08:24:45 AM »
I know. It was sarcasm. I thought you were fluent.

My rolled eyes were directed at the doubters.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm not fluent in sarcasm, I don't really like sarcasm that much. Thank you for not rolling your eyes at me.

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »
Sustained daylight without a visible sun is well documented on Antarctica.

Indeed, it's called twighlight.
It's the sustained daylight with visible sun that you need to be concerned about.

3 Tesla

• Flat Earth double agent
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 07:44:01 AM »
I would like to 'bump' this thread.

The Sun staying visible in the sky for 24 hours during The Antactic Winter.

The best Flat Earth explanation for this appears to be "ice crystals" in the "strata" making a "house of mirrors" effect which reflects sunlight all the way around the circumfarence of The EArth ("The Ice Wall").

Given the many thousands of miles involved this seem very far-fetched to me.

Surely the light intensity will have attenuated (reduced) to nothing by the time the light gets to the other side of the disc?

Plus: reports speak of The Sun - the actual disc of The Sun - staying visible for 24 hours rather than a kind of twilight / "white night" effect.

How can reflection of light around the icy ground produce this?
"E pur si muove" ("And yet it moves"); Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »
FE logic at it's best. 

The icy bit at the edge of the Earth reflects the actual image of hte sun all the way around the planet. 

The icy bit in the middle, well the light actually stops short there despite travelling further across equatorial regions. 

Hooray!  Consistent as ever!
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">Video proof that the Earth is flat!

Run run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me cos I'm in the lollipop forest and you can't get there!

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »
I don't know why you think that they will have any better explanation now than they did a couple of months ago.

There are. Polar explorer Sir James Clark Ross reported perpetual days without a sun in his book South Seas Voyages.

Here is a quote from Ross' book A Voyage of Discovery and Research in the Southern and Antarctic Regions...

Quote from: Captain Sir James Clark Ross
January 4 1841 - At noon we were in lat. 65 22' S., long. 172 42' E. The power of the sun's radiation was measured at 9 PM by means of a thermometer whose bulb was blackened with Indian ink: it rose from 33 to 40.2, the sun's altitude being at the time only four degrees...

The setting sun was also a very remarkable object, being streaked across by five dark horizontal bands, of nearly equal breadth, and flattened in a most irregular form by the greater refraction of its lower limb as it touched the horizon at 23h 56m 51s; skimming along to the eastward, it almost imperceptibly descended until its upper limb disappeared exactly seventeen minutes and thirty seconds afterwards.  The difference of the atmospheric refraction at the upper and lower limb of the was carefully determined by several measurements of the horizontal and vertical diameter.

There is evidence that Scott did see the sun at a southern latitude.  The time of sunset (almost midnight) shows that they were seeing almost continuous light.

The passage also shows that this isn't some "glare," but observations of the actual sun.

They couldn't even reply to something as simple as an observation of the Sun made in January at midnight.