Gravity does exist

• 57 Replies
?

Wordsmith

• The Immoveable Stone in your World of Weak
Re: Gravity does exist
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »
In fact, frame dragging is proof of gravity's non-existence.

How do black holes forms if there is no gravity, i doubt it would be by the same mechanism

It's kind of like a very deep hole in the fabric of space-time so steep nothing can escape.  The mechanism still isn't fully understood by physicists.  And I've seen an article recently suggesting that black holes don't even exist.  They certainly don't rely on gravity.

"Kind of like"?

That is horrendous science.

Please describe that better. Like, pretend you're intelligent to give a cogent answer at least.

And tey do rely on gravity. Einstein predicted it, we have observed them.

Wait don't bother. you can't.
You either completely misunderstand the relevant points because you are unfamiliar with them, or you choose to manipulate your interpretation to continue to deceive others

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
In fact, frame dragging is proof of gravity's non-existence.

How do black holes forms if there is no gravity, i doubt it would be by the same mechanism

It's kind of like a very deep hole in the fabric of space-time so steep nothing can escape.  The mechanism still isn't fully understood by physicists.  And I've seen an article recently suggesting that black holes don't even exist.  They certainly don't rely on gravity.

"Kind of like"?

That is horrendous science.

Please describe that better. Like, pretend you're intelligent to give a cogent answer at least.

And tey do rely on gravity. Einstein predicted it, we have observed them.

Wait don't bother. you can't.

LOL.  Einstein did not predict that black holes rely on gravity.  ::)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 03:42:25 PM »
Gravity doesn't exist.

Gravitation, which is probably what you mean to say, does.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
Gravity doesn't exist.

Gravitation, which is probably what you mean to say, does.

You nailed it!

How do black holes form solely by what you define as gravitation?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »
You RE'ers are a comical lot. I'll give you that.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
Here's a pretty good description:
Black Holes are theoretical objects. A black hole is an object which has such high gravitational pull that not even light can escape. Hence it is black. Which makes it pretty hard to observe directly.

Black Holes may form as the result of the collapse of a very massive star at its death. Just as neutron stars form during a supernova explosion of a very massive star so do black holes. But in the black hole case the initial star was so massive that nothing could stop its gravitational collapse. All the matter of the star's core is crushed to an infinitely small point, a singularity.

From http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/the_universe/BH.html

Note the first line of the article, REers.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »
Meanwhile if you click the advanced button

Black Holes may form as the result of the collapse of a very massive star at its death. Just as neutron stars form during a supernova explosion of a very massive star so do black holes. But in the black hole case the initial star was so massive that not even the quantum mechanical pressures that keep neutrons from collapsing can halt the force of gravity's pull. All the matter of the star's core is crushed to an infinitely small point, a singularity.

So are they referring to the effects of gravity, or that of gravitation?

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
How do black holes form solely by what you define as gravitation?

When fusion ceases on an immensely large star, there is nothing to stop gravitation from continuing to collapse the star into a black hole.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »

Black Holes may form as the result of the collapse of a very massive star at its death. Just as neutron stars form during a supernova explosion of a very massive star so do black holes. But in the black hole case the initial star was so massive that not even the quantum mechanical pressures that keep neutrons from collapsing can halt the force of gravity's pull. All the matter of the star's core is crushed to an infinitely small point, a singularity.

Gravitation.  From wikipedia:

The terms gravitation and gravity are mostly interchangeable in everyday use, but in scientific usage a distinction may be made. "Gravitation" is a general term describing the attractive influence that all objects with mass exert on each other, while "gravity" specifically refers to a force that is supposed in some theories (such as Newton's) to be the cause of this attraction. By contrast, in general relativity gravitation is due to spacetime curvatures that cause inertially moving objects to accelerate towards each other.

Obviously the article is targeted at laymen, hence the lack of distinction made.

For intrepid REers: Go to wikipedia, type in "gravity", and take note of what article pops up.  This is the third paragraph.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »

Gravitation.  From wikipedia:

The terms gravitation and gravity are mostly interchangeable in everyday use, but in scientific usage a distinction may be made. "Gravitation" is a general term describing the attractive influence that all objects with mass exert on each other, while "gravity" specifically refers to a force that is supposed in some theories (such as Newton's) to be the cause of this attraction. By contrast, in general relativity gravitation is due to spacetime curvatures that cause inertially moving objects to accelerate towards each other.

Obviously the article is targeted at laymen, hence the lack of distinction made.

For intrepid REers: Go to wikipedia, type in "gravity", and take note of what article pops up.  This is the third paragraph.

So you are saying that this forum is targeted at the scientific elite?  Wow, I feel smarter already.    8)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
We only discuss scientifical subjects with the highest degree of seriocity here.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
We only discuss scientifical subjects with the highest degree of seriocity here.
Quite.

The title of this thread caused me to shoot malt liquor out of my nose.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »

And only ever tell the truthiness.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Wordsmith

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »
Black Holes are theoretical objects. A black hole is an object which has such high gravitational pull that not even light can escape. Hence it is black. Which makes it pretty hard to observe directly.

Black Holes may form as the result of the collapse of a very massive star at its death. Just as neutron stars form during a supernova explosion of a very massive star so do black holes. But in the black hole case the initial star was so massive that nothing could stop its gravitational collapse. All the matter of the star's core is crushed to an infinitely small point, a singularity.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/strange/html/exist.html

Note the first paragraph FErs
You either completely misunderstand the relevant points because you are unfamiliar with them, or you choose to manipulate your interpretation to continue to deceive others

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/strange/html/exist.html

Note the first paragraph FErs

What about it?  ???

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »
please explain then gravitationally bound galaxy super clusters, frame dragging, black holes and tidal forces if gravity doesn't exist.
Read general relativity for further research.

Now, please explain the bending of light if gravity exists.

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »
gravity exists whether you want to believe it or not...its time for your list of 10 believers of the theory to wake up and join the rest of the thousands of people who go on this website to get some comic relief on a bad day...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »
I come here for comic relief too. It's fun to see RE'ers say things like "Gravity exists; it is a force" and "if the earth wasn't a spinning globe we would have no gravity" and "how come I can sail around the world" etc, et al
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:18 PM »
if gravity didnt exist wouldnt we be floating? or have an extremely bad sense of balance to which we cant even walk?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 11:33:06 PM »
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:09 AM »
if gravity didnt exist wouldnt we be floating? or have an extremely bad sense of balance to which we cant even walk?
Thanks to gravitation, you would not.

?

Wordsmith

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
please explain then gravitationally bound galaxy super clusters, frame dragging, black holes and tidal forces if gravity doesn't exist.
Read general relativity for further research.

Now, please explain the bending of light if gravity exists.

Ummm, by massive objects bending the spacetime around them? gravitation does this too you know.

Lycan

• I am the werewolf. Obviously.
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity#Acceleration

Now apply this to a flat earth. There you go.
Of course, I always could just be an idiot.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »

Space craft. Enough said.

Lycan

• I am the werewolf. Obviously.
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »

Space craft. Enough said.
?
Of course, I always could just be an idiot.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »
According to FE space travel is not possible, therefore those principles can not be applied to a flat earth.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
Ummm, by massive objects bending the spacetime around them? gravitation does this too you know.
Uh, the "massive" object bends space-time, creating an effect known as gravitation. That gravitation, being the result of the space-time curvature, distorts the path of photons as they pass the "massive" object. This is known as gravitational lensing. Now, explain how gravity can distort light.

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 10:36:28 PM »
I am so very glad this forum is a joke!  I would hate to think that there are people on this sphere we call earth that actually think the world is flat!  I know you all really cant be that ignorant!  Thank God this is a Joke!  It's funny how some people actually fall for your joke and think you guys actually think the world is flat!  They would have to be the most naive people on the globe to believe you guys actually think the ball shaped planet Earth is flat!
                     It's a great joke!  Keep it up!   The world needs phony forums like this to keep us smiling!
                                    I am just glad that all of you truly understand that the world is round!
                     Take it easy!         Moon Unit