Why the moon proves the earth is round

• 22 Replies
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »
The phenomena associated with the moon prove that the earth is round.

Part 1:  The moon is not self-lumenescent.  One can purchase a small telescope or a good pair of binoculars and see the shadows cast by crater walls.  A self-lumenescent object can't cast shadows on itself.

Part 2:  The moon has to, then, be lit by something else.  Namely, then sun, largely because it's the only thing in our vicinity that can put out that much light.

Therefore, for the moon to be lit by the sun in the FE theory, according to the laws of physics and optics, the moon must be both higher than the sun, and larger.

This causes four problems
1)The sun is either not a disk, or luminescent on both sides
2)The moon could not have phases.  It would be fully lit by the sun at all times.
3)A solar eclipse would be impossible, because the moon cannot come between the sun and the earth.  If it did, it would appear to grow larger, which is could not.
4)A Lunar eclipse would be an utter impossiblity, because the earth CANNOT go between the moon and the sun in the FE theory, and even if it could, we would NEVER be able to see it.

Now.  Issue 1 can be argued.  Everybody has observed that the moon has phases.  Most people have seen at least a partial solar eclipse, and many people (including myself) have observed a lunar eclipse.

If we have a moon that behaves the way it does, the earth must be round

Arguments?

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:54:30 AM »
::bumpity::

nobody?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 08:59:44 AM »
FE's don't answer questions until they can think up a retarded explanation....if they can't they ignore the argument or point at the FAQ.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:26:26 AM »
Good point Zanzobar.

Read the FAQ.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Why the moon proves the earth is round
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »
Quote from: "aracondal"
Part 1:  The moon is not self-lumenescent.  One can purchase a small telescope or a good pair of binoculars and see the shadows cast by crater walls.  A self-lumenescent object can't cast shadows on itself.

Invalid.  All you can see with a telescope is that the moon is not always everywhere luminescent.

Part 2:  The moon has to, then, be lit by something else.  Namely, then sun, largely because it's the only thing in our vicinity that can put out that much light.

Unsound.  You haven't established that the sun is the only object that can illuminate the moon.  It is known that the Earth illuminates the moon; why can't it be that different parts of the Earth are simply differently reflective?

Therefore, for the moon to be lit by the sun in the FE theory, according to the laws of physics and optics, the moon must be both higher than the sun, and larger.

Please cite the laws of physics and optics that justify this statement.

2)The moon could not have phases.  It would be fully lit by the sun at all times.

If the moon were flat, you mean?

3)A solar eclipse would be impossible, because the moon cannot come between the sun and the earth.  If it did, it would appear to grow larger, which is could not.

What if the sun were to simply get a little higher?

Also, false premise: the moon's and sun's apparent sizes both change over time.  That's why (accd. to RE scientists) you sometimes get total solar eclipses, and sometimes only annular solar eclipses.

Anyway, you seem to be assuming many premises that I see no reason to believe you can justify.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:26:08 PM »
Because he is unable to justify them, isn't it possible another could?

You state that the earth reflects light onto the moon as well, how is that accomplished?

For that to happen on a flat earth light would have to come at an angle and bounce off (because light moves in both waves and particles, the waves would be refracted)

For the the light to come from an angle the sun would have to be round

So the earth is flat, and the sun is round.  According to that theory, but that theory can instantaneously be proved wrong by other theories present within the site and mass science.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 08:40:27 PM »
Quote from: "Tranquil"

I invite anyone capable to do so.

You state that the earth reflects light onto the moon as well, how is that accomplished?

All visible objects reflect light; that's how it's the case that you can see them.

For the the light to come from an angle the sun would have to be round

Why?

-Erasmus

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:42:59 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (but since there are so many different theories on how the earth is flat I'm sure there is someway to correct every round earth theory) but the sun would have to be round because it acts as a spotlight.

The spotlight is flat in the FE and projects downwards.

If the spotlight were round and projected downwards and also at an angle side to side some of the light would be absorbed and reflected around the initial area of the said spotlight.

See where I'm going with that?  Or playing dumb?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (but since there are so many different theories on how the earth is flat I'm sure there is someway to correct every round earth theory) but the sun would have to be round because it acts as a spotlight.

So you're saying it's inconceivable that an object which has some properties similar to a spotlight's properties be any shape other than a perfect sphere?  That seems like a stretch to me.  Can you (or anybody) justify this claim?

The spotlight is flat in the FE and projects downwards.

Says who?  All FE says is that the sun doesn't illuminate the whole Earth at once, not that illuminates the 32-mile-diameter circle directly beneath it.  A spotlight is not a laser.

See where I'm going with that?

No, actually, I haven't seen where you were going with any of your posts so far.  I guess I must be dumb.

-Erasmus

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 08:50:46 PM »
the sun could be pointing straight down as the atmosphere would refract the directly perpendicular-with-ground light slightly. (since the light would travel from the sun through a vacumum, then entering into the atmosphere would refract it)

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »

Also, false premise: the moon's and sun's apparent sizes both change over time. That's why (accd. to RE scientists) you sometimes get total solar eclipses, and sometimes only annular solar eclipses.

These two sentences aren't related to each other.  A total and an annular eclispe have to do with spatial alignment, not relative size.

I'll notice that no one has touched the lunar eclipse theory...

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 11:48:38 AM »
These two sentences aren't related to each other.  A total and an annular eclispe have to do with spatial alignment, not relative size.

That is incorrect.

The moon and sun both have an apparent size of approximately half a degree of arc.  If they are both, say, exactly 0.5 degrees wide, and align in the sky, the sun will be totally eclipsed.  If on the other hand (for instance) the moon is at apogee and is therefore (say) 0.45 degrees of arc in apparent width, it will not obscure the entire sun, even when perfectly aligned.  Instead, a thin ring (or "annulus") of the sun will be visible.  Hence, annular eclipse.

You are confusing annular eclipses with partial eclipses, which involve imperfect alignment between the sun and moon.

-Erasmus

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »
Jesus Christ, is this site still up?

THE EARTH IS ROUND! DEAL WITH IT!!!!

Seriously, do you realise how stupid you sound? Why on Earth would the goverments of the world concoct such a conspiracy? And keep it up for 2,00 years? For shits and giggles? Do you that there are people behind closed doors sniggering to eachother saying ' They still think the Earth is round LOLZ'
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

I invite anyone capable to do so.

-Erasmus

Part 2: The moon has to, then, be lit by something else. Namely, then sun, largely because it's the only thing in our vicinity that can put out that much light.

Unsound. You haven't established that the sun is the only object that can illuminate the moon. It is known that the Earth illuminates the moon; why can't it be that different parts of the Earth are simply differently reflective?

Quote from: "FES FAQ"

Each functions as a "spotlight," with the sun radiating "hot light," the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light.

I need say nothing.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 03:22:41 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"

Each functions as a "spotlight," with the sun radiating "hot light," the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light.

I need say nothing.

Q: "What about Lunar Eclipses"

(Possible answer) The moon isn't a spotlight; it glows with light from the sun, reflected off the Earth. Different parts of the Earth are more reflective than others (the seas, the polar cap, the ice wall, for example). Sometimes, the position of the sun (which is a spotlight) means that only very low-reflective or non-reflective parts of the Earth's surface are illuminated, so the moon is abnormally dark. This could potentially explain lunar phases as well.

You need to read the entire FAQ, not just part of it.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

I need say nothing.

Q: "What about Lunar Eclipses"

(Possible answer) The moon isn't a spotlight; it glows with light from the sun, reflected off the Earth. Different parts of the Earth are more reflective than others (the seas, the polar cap, the ice wall, for example). Sometimes, the position of the sun (which is a spotlight) means that only very low-reflective or non-reflective parts of the Earth's surface are illuminated, so the moon is abnormally dark. This could potentially explain lunar phases as well.

You need to read the entire FAQ, not just part of it.

So which is it? a spotlight or a reflective "disc"?

Why does the round theory work so well while the flat earth one struggles to explain basic things?

?

coolgreencat

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »
Yup, its not true.

If the moon was bigger than the sun, then we could never be heated.

And what do you mean a soler eclipes would be impossible to see??? :?:

WE would see the shadow and have!, seen it. meaning to cast a round shadow on the moon, the earth, of couse, would have to be round...who agrees???

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

Which ever one turns out to work the best (and it looks like it's going to be reflective disk).

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 05:42:27 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

Which ever one turns out to work the best (and it looks like it's going to be reflective disk).

or which ever one is more convienent at the time to argue with. You have to hand it to the round earthers, even though they are wrong, their arguements fit exactly with observations.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »
or which ever one is more convienent at the time to argue with.

No, we use the one that explains the facts best. Right now they are both hypotheses, once we decide which one fits the observable facts the best we'll update the FAQ with it. Obviously we haven't decided yet, but like I said, it looks like it's going to be reflective disk.

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 03:46:12 AM »

All visible objects reflect light; that's how it's the case that you can see them.

I don't think you understand, we are not a light source, apart from street lights, there is little light from here... The light source is the sun?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »
Quote from: "sven1988uk"

I don't think you understand, we are not a light source, apart from street lights, there is little light from here... The light source is the sun?

Look, if you don't start reading whole sentences and whole posts, I'm just going to ignore you.  The Earth reflects light; that's all I said.

-Erasmus

?

Captain Obvious

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 11:52:01 AM »
Whoever said the moon was spherical?

You may be seeing shadows cast on another flat plane.