Narc's FE Guide: RE Urban Legends

• 44 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Narc's FE Guide: RE Urban Legends
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »
I was in Kenya, and the Equator passes through that country. It was a simple enough experiment a tupperware box with a hole in the bottom, only the guide floated a matchstick on the surface.
I'm glad someone was able to cash in on the "stupid tourist" market.

That is really funny.  What a sucker.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »
You know what they say:

"There is a sucker born every minute."

Like RE'er sheep to the slaughter.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »
I was in Kenya, and the Equator passes through that country. It was a simple enough experiment a tupperware box with a hole in the bottom, only the guide floated a matchstick on the surface.
I'm glad someone was able to cash in on the "stupid tourist" market.

Cash in in what way precisely? Did I say at any point that I had to pay to see this done? Besides, I simply view this as, again, you FEers have no satisfactory response other than to think 'crap, what do we say to that? I don't know, we've got nothing, so let's just take the piss.'

Either way, as I promised, here is the video.

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:45 AM »
LMAO.

That wasn't even a good magic trick.  You are one gullible individual.

Under RE theory the earth rotates a tiny fraction of one degree in the time of that experiment.  Yet you believe the matchstick should rotate 1440 degrees?

Even if the coriolis effect was responsible for the rotation of water draining (which it isn't) it would be completely impossible to observe this anywhere near the equator.  In RE world a drain at the equator does not make any angle with respect to the earth's axis of rotation.

However, you did just confirm Narc's post about retarded myths RE'ers believe.  So thank you for that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:43:23 AM by lived_eht_asan »

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
The bloke had seen it too and fell for it until I explained that the effect wouldn't show.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »
That's such a brilliant scam.  "Look, honey, we're seeing the Coriolis Effect in action!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »
Have you actually read what the guy says there?

Two points jump out at me:

"The pan should be non-circular."

In order to allow you to induce rotation in the water. Fair enough. Only, the container this guy uses is quite clearly circular.

"Pick it up, turn around by turning to your left, walk to the north end of the room, turn around by turning to your left, and face the audience."

So in other words, make a complete rotation of the non circular bowl in order to start the liquid spinning. Does he walk around, or even turn the container at all after filling it? Well we've got a video, why not check? I think you'll find he doesn't. And either way, even if he did, the water wouldn't start spinning because, oh yeah it's not a NON-CIRCULAR bowl.

Besides guys even if that effect isn't caused by Earth's rotation, the very same guy who you've posted as a reputable source says, in the right conditions, water -can- be used to prove the Coriolis effect.

"Is it possible to detect the Earth’s rotation in a draining sink?

Yes, but it is very difficult." Not a lot of point quoting any more than that.

So, deary me, without realizing it you've shot yourselves rather embarrassingly in the foot.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
Have you actually read what the guy says there?

Two points jump out at me:

"The pan should be non-circular."

In order to allow you to induce rotation in the water. Fair enough. Only, the container this guy uses is quite clearly circular.

"Pick it up, turn around by turning to your left, walk to the north end of the room, turn around by turning to your left, and face the audience."

So in other words, make a complete rotation of the non circular bowl in order to start the liquid spinning. Does he walk around, or even turn the container at all after filling it? Well we've got a video, why not check? I think you'll find he doesn't. And either way, even if he did, the water wouldn't start spinning because, oh yeah it's not a NON-CIRCULAR bowl.

Besides guys even if that effect isn't caused by Earth's rotation, the very same guy who you've posted as a reputable source says, in the right conditions, water -can- be used to prove the Coriolis effect.

So, deary me, without realizing it you've shot yourselves rather embarrassingly in the foot.

Oh wow, there's no help for you at all.

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

Did you read any of it?
The water was then allowed to sit undisturbed for perhaps a week to let all of the motion die

The Coriolis force is so small, that it plays no role in determining the direction of rotation of a draining sink anymore than it does the direction of a spinning CD.

You are quiet dense.

Not only is the experiment impossible anywhere on the Earth, but did you imagine that there is a visible line at the equator, where the coriolis virtual forces suddenly change direction?  There is a region of hundreds of miles around the equator with no coriolis effects.

Wow, I guess we don't need navigation equipment anymore, we can just use our plastic jugs to tell us where the F we are.

Do you want me to post a video of water witching? Or psychokinesis?  Or a man levitating himself?

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 12:14:26 AM »
You guys are something else... Okay, perhaps the Equator experiment is little more than a scam, but the point I'm trying to make here is that guy says (regardless of how much preparation it takes, a week of settling and so on), you can use draining water to prove the rotation of the Earth.

The Coriolis force is so small, that it plays no role in determining the direction of rotation of a draining sink anymore than it does the direction of a spinning CD.

As I understand the way he has written that article, that sentence refers to the water experiment on the Equator.

So forgetting the fact that this experiment at the equator might be a trick, if you perform essentially the same experiment under laboratory conditions, the Coriolis effect will become apparent after several hours. That is what he says in black and white on his site. To ensure that I am reading it properly, I'm going to e-mail the guy and the results, whatever they might be, I will post here. He might say I was mistaken. Although, and I think I've interpreted his site right, I don't think he will.

Those who have succeeded...
Meaning people have succeeded.

Stop just seeing what you want to see. The guy posts a large part on why that Equator experiment is a scam. I've read it, and despite the fact that I can't see how it was done on my video, I'm willing to admit that it was likely a tourist pulling scam. Okay? But also on that very same page, he says quite plainly that if you are willing to go to the right lengths, you can show that the Coriolis effect has an effect on draining water. That is TOTALLY SEPARATE from the Equator trick.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 12:18:04 AM »
I'm completely amazed that not only has RET denounced this whole idea, but I have cited references to reproduceable experiments and RE'ers are *still* arguing against their own theory, thinking that will somehow prove its correctness.

RE is a religion, it's name is "never back down, you can never be wrong."

?

trig

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »
I'm completely amazed that not only has RET denounced this whole idea, but I have cited references to reproduceable experiments and RE'ers are *still* arguing against their own theory, thinking that will somehow prove its correctness.

RE is a religion, it's name is "never back down, you can never be wrong."
While you made fun of one person that mistakenly believed in a scam, you failed to see that science works exactly as shown here (without the mockery). In the end, an explanation of the scam was presented, the physics of the Coriolis effect was explained and shown to work as expected, and to not work where it should not.

The only way you can win an argument is by finding a mistaken person and declare that "all RE'rs are incapable of explaining this".

If we held you FE'rs to the same standard, you would be mocked every time you even remember that you do not agree on the existence of an ice wall, on the size of the Earth, on the reason why the atmosphere does not escape Earth, on the size of the conspiracy... well, exactly in what do you all agree on?

Scientists have accepted their mistakes too many times to count. The strength of science lies in part on the fact that everything is open to better theories. You should do the same.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 04:21:04 PM »
Let me reiterate.
RET doesn't predict this effect, if you think it does, you are disagreeing with your own model.

?

Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 11:22:26 PM »
Sorry RE'ers but, I can easily explain away the clockwise and anti- clockwise motion of water draining down a plughole - the tubes that the water drains down have a corkscrew design on the inside (remember this is a tourist attraction set up with the sole purpose to make money) no one can see the inside of the tube under the sink, right? Its a black/grey plastic tube, where you can't see the water going through it, right? If you did it would have a corkscrew design.

EDIT: -OR- you don't even need the tube to be modified, only the plughole, to make the water start swirling the right way.

Make them swap the sinks round and you'll get the same motion from each sink as you did before the swap. AKA its a gimmick, a scam.

I can't prove they are doing this (corkscrew tube) but RE'ers can't prove they are not.

Go there and make them cut the tube in half across its diameter and lets see inside it.

Even in a round earth this discrepancy is so small that it wouldn't have the effect they claim ANYWAY, so something is a scam there whether FE or RE.

Plus - the plughole does not even need to be a special design because it is entirely dependent on which way (clockwise/anti-clockwise) the water started to flow in the first place. If the water happens to circle around slightly one way, the sucking out of the water below will amplify this motion more and more, dragging the water out (like how you can you siphon a liquid from above, to below) anf the force of the continuing water flow will make this increase more and more as the sink empties - indeed this is what we can observe, starts off as a slow swirling and by the time the sink is almost empty the water is going round and round faster.

With a corkscrew design inside the tube or even simpler - just a specially curved plughole, the scam artists on the equator making money out of this could simply make the tubes/plugholes a corkscrew to make certain that the water flows the way they need it to for their trick to come across as reality.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:31:57 PM by Theorist »
Prove FE Wrong!