geodetic surverying

• 14 Replies

lindelof

• DADA IS NOT DEAD. WATCH YOUR OVERCOAT.
geodetic surverying
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
http://w3sli.wcape.gov.za/SURVEYS/MAPPING/svyhist.htm#Geodetic

If the earth was flat, don't you think that the people who did this (as well as everyone else who has done very accurate surveys covering large areas) would have noticed?

?

CyborgJesus

• Professional Misanthrope
Re: geodetic surverying
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:55:48 PM »
http://w3sli.wcape.gov.za/SURVEYS/MAPPING/svyhist.htm#Geodetic

If the earth was flat, don't you think that the people who did this (as well as everyone else who has done very accurate surveys covering large areas) would have noticed?
Yet more people to include in the conspiracy!
Quote from: King Bishop
Jesus is officially made of fail. Eat that, Christianity!
Quote from: Bill Hicks
The human race is a virus with shoes.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:30:37 PM »
Yeah I mean come on, .gov is right in that websites name. The gov't is in on the conspriacy, therefore so are they.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 05:59:02 PM »
Many FEers feel that the conspiracy has its roots in the Royal Astronomical Society in the 1800s.  Perhaps they were somehow involved.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 07:57:32 PM »
Yeah I mean come on, .gov is right in that websites name. The gov't is in on the conspriacy, therefore so are they.

Actually, .gov.za is the government of South Africa.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »

Actually, .gov.za is the government of South Africa.

Yes but FE says that all the gov't.'s of the world are secretly really cooperative with each other, in order to keep the secret. So as long as it's a gov't they're in on it.

Kill-9

• House Shaped Earth Proponent
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
Posted this before. They still have no solution to it other than it's a conspiracy. Big shocker.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
(random horseshit that doesn't make sense)
Quote from: Viscount Dead Kangaroo
I spend half the day with a dick in my mouth

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »
Why is it impossible to find your latitude and longitude coordinates on a Flat Earth?  ???

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
Why is it impossible to find your latitude and longitude coordinates on a Flat Earth?  ???

Because the longitude values in FE, especially in South Africa, are far different than in RE.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
Because the longitude values in FE, especially in South Africa, are far different than in RE.

But to find your Longitude you just need to know how many hours apart you are from Greenwich, UK and a vertical stick to know when the sun is at its zenith over your present location.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:14:17 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

jdoe

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »

But to find your Longitude you just need to know how many hours apart you are from Greenwich, UK and a vertical stick to know when the sun is at its zenith over your present location.

Yes, this is true.  However, if you took this measurement in several locations, you might notice that lines of longitude are farther apart than expected in the RE model.

In South Africa at about 30 degrees south, lines of longitude are about 59.8 miles apart in the RE model, but they would be about 144 miles apart in the FE model.  Don't you think surveyors and navigators would have noticed this?
Mars or Bust

lindelof

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
It's not about this specific survey; it's not about finding longitude and latitude.  It's that if the earth is flat than the people who do large, accurate, surveys would have noticed. It's not just longitude; surveyors assume that the earth is round, if it was flat there would be all sorts of discrepancies.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 10:49:48 PM »
So we're agreed.  All geodetic surveryers are in on the conspiracy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:52:36 PM by Roundy the Truthinessist »
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 04:25:34 AM »
It's not about this specific survey; it's not about finding longitude and latitude.  It's that if the earth is flat than the people who do large, accurate, surveys would have noticed. It's not just longitude; surveyors assume that the earth is round, if it was flat there would be all sorts of discrepancies.

From the link:

It appears as if the surveyors were making triangles between points in their method in order to triangulate locations relative to each other. Now, this is all well and good on a Flat Earth as it's certainly possible to make a triangle upon a flat surface. When we measure the angles they will add up to 180 degrees. We can do all sorts of fun things by knowing this; such as calculating the hypotenuse of its nearest neighbor, finding the size of quadrilaterals, and so on.

However, if the earth were a globe it would be impossible to make a triangle upon the earth's surface as its angles would add up to more than 180 degrees. This is called positive curvature and would prove the Earth is round. If the angles measure to be exactly 180 degrees, as they do in plain-old Euclidean geometry, it implies that the earth is a flat surface. Three cornered polygons whose angles measure less than 180 degrees implies a negative curvature (like a horse saddle).

Since the surveyors appear to be using Euclidean triangles to get accurate readings of the earth's surface, it just gives more credence to the fact that the earth is flat.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:35:34 AM by Tom Bishop »

lindelof

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »
Like I said, it's not just about this survey.  That was just an example.  There are loads and loads of surveys done in this way.  And of course there isn't the slightest bit of evidence suggesting that any of the people who did these surveys were involved in any sort of conspiracy.

Okay Tom.  The triangles in that pictures look Euclidean because they where drawn on a flat piece of paper and are being displayed on a (presumably) flat computer screen.  I'm sure that if you actually took the time and looked up the data from the survey you would find that the angles don't add up to 180.

However, if the earth were a globe it would be impossible to make a triangle upon the earth's surface as its angles would add up to more than 180 degrees.

No.  In the Euclidean plane the angles of a triangle add up to 180, in the Poincare plane the sum is always less than 180, on a sphere or on the real projective plane the sum is always greater than 180, in projective geometry we don't even have a notion of angular measure.  You can triangulate on a sphere just like you can triangulate on a plane.