I never knew people could be this dumb

• 198 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: I never knew people could be this dumb
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2008, 07:46:31 PM »
If the Earth really was flat, most modern day scientists would advocate that idea. Alas, that is not the case. Do any of you have doctorates in Physics?

Brilliant argument.  So in the days that it was believed by scientists that the sun went around the earth that was actually the case?  When doctors of the day thought that headaches were caused by evil spirits that was actually the case?  I had no idea that we as human beings had such a command over reality!  We truly are gods!  :o

Science has grown in leaps and bounds since that time. The "science" of that time period is definitely not proportional to the science of today.

So we know everything there is to know now and are not wrong about anything?  What a relief! 

Stop taking what I say out of context.

I didn't take a word you said out of context.  I was merely pointing out the flaws that make your argument so weak.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »
A 3 year old cannot understand Astrophysics.

Astrophysics with special emphasis on all things not "astro"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics

We're not looking outward towards the universe, we are discussing the shape of the earth only. A 3 year old doesn't need to know the approximate current discharged by a super massive quasar to see the world is flat.

In order to understand Astrophysics you must first grasp the concept that the Earth is round.

Is your avatar really a picture of you? I'm just curious.

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
If the Earth really was flat, most modern day scientists would advocate that idea. Alas, that is not the case. Do any of you have doctorates in Physics?

Brilliant argument.  So in the days that it was believed by scientists that the sun went around the earth that was actually the case?  When doctors of the day thought that headaches were caused by evil spirits that was actually the case?  I had no idea that we as human beings had such a command over reality!  We truly are gods!  :o

Science has grown in leaps and bounds since that time. The "science" of that time period is definitely not proportional to the science of today.

So we know everything there is to know now and are not wrong about anything?  What a relief! 

I didn't take a word you said out of context.  I was merely pointing out the flaws that make your argument so weak.

Except you did take it out of context. Where did I say "we know everything there is to know"?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »

Except you did take it out of context. Where did I say "we know everything there is to know"?

It was implied when you said "If the Earth really was flat, most modern day scientists would advocate that idea."  If we don't know everything there is to know, why would this be the case?

I haven't taken a word you've said out of context.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »
Wazzup?

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »

Stop taking what I say out of context. All I suggested was that we do not think the same way people did hundreds of years ago (But, Descartes is an entirely different subject).

We have the ability to view other galaxies. Scientists are not going to deceive you about the basic properties of Earth that most people take for granted.
Do these galaxies affect the shape of the earth?

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2008, 08:00:12 PM »

It was implied when you said "If the Earth really was flat, most modern day scientists would advocate that idea."  If we don't know everything there is to know, why would this be the case?

I haven't taken a word you've said out of context.

Scientists have indeed established that the Earth is round. We don't fully understand things such as the creation of the universe, dark matter, extraterrestrial life, and other celestial phenomenon. But, we now know that the Earth is round just as we know that the Earth orbits the sun.

I think Isaac Newton summarized it best when he said  "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2008, 08:02:09 PM »
Can you prove the Earth is round?

That's what it boils down to on this site.

You came here, it's your responsibility to submit proof against FE, not the other way around.

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »

Stop taking what I say out of context. All I suggested was that we do not think the same way people did hundreds of years ago (But, Descartes is an entirely different subject).

We have the ability to view other galaxies. Scientists are not going to deceive you about the basic properties of Earth that most people take for granted.

Yes, in fact they do. Gravitational force is the reason celestial bodies such as planets and stars take on a spherical form.

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »

You came here, it's your responsibility to submit proof against FE, not the other way around.

I'm afraid it is the other way around. You are the outcast, not me,

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »

Yes, in fact they do. Gravitational force is the reason celestial bodies such as planets and stars take on a spherical form.

LOL at "gravitational force".

How does that mean that our ability to observe galaxies affects the shape of the earth anyway?  You're making a connection that need not be made.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »

But since it's our site, we have the right to ridicule and/or ignore you.

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
I'm just making a witty retort in the form of a fact, nothing more.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »

You came here to The Flat Earth Society and sought us out for confrontation. We did not go to your forum and seek you out. Therefore the burden of proof is on you to prove your model, just as it would be the burden of proof for inside-out earth believers to prove theirs.

This is besides the fact that the earth appears flat to every single human being. The earth is flat by pretense. It's the responsibility of the naysayers to prove that our eyes are deceiving us.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:11:29 PM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »
I'm just making a witty retort in the form of a fact, nothing more.

Sorry, I must have missed the "wit".

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2008, 08:12:59 PM »

But since it's our site, we have the right to ridicule and/or ignore you.

You also have the right to think we are really orbiting a giant light bulb.

You have the right to think unicorns exist.

You have the right to think pigs can fly.

You have the right to think tin foil hats will save us from the aliens at Area 51.

Ridicule me all you want, but you are still an outcast and an idiot.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »
I'm missing how youarewrong is disproving FE or proving RE.

You have the right to think tin foil hats will save us from the aliens at Area 51.

Let's think.

Who came here?

Who neglected to read the other threads for information on night/day and seasons?

Who neglected to read the FAQ?

Who's annoying by arguing against EVERYONE, including REers?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »

No one can see giant lightbulbs in the sky, unicorns, or flying pigs.

But everyone can see the earth. It's flat.

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »
Why do you believe the earth is round when you cannot prove it to be round?

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »

You can see the Earth from where you are standing? All of it? You must be tall.

If you can't truly see the Earth in its entirety, how do you know it is flat?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:22:21 PM by youarewrong »

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »
I win. Have a good evening.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
Yay he's gone!

Another victory for FE!!!

narcberry

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
In before the childish behavio...

dang, why do we have this 30 sec post limit?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »
How exactly do you win by having a fallacious argument?

narcberry

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »
better than a phallused argument, amirite?

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »

You can see the Earth from where you are standing? All of it? You must be tall.

If you can't truly see the Earth in its entirety, how do you know it is flat?
If the earth was round the surface would be curved.

After measuring the surface of water we find that there isn't any curvature.

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2008, 08:41:15 PM »

That's exactly why I won. Thank you for pointing that out. Although I must applaud you for finally seeing your fault.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »

That's exactly why I won. Thank you for pointing that out. Although I must applaud you for finally seeing your fault.

Right...so you proved the Earth is round, did you?

Nope.

You disproved Flat Earth, then?

Nope.

What, really, did you do, again?

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »

Right...so you proved the Earth is round, did you?

Nope.

You disproved Flat Earth, then?

Nope.

What, really, did you do, again?

Your entire reasoning is based on the idea that you can't actually see the Earth is round. And yet, you can't see that it is flat either. The only way to test either hypothesis for absolute certainty would be to go into space and look at the Earth. Oh, but we have done that already, decades ago.

Edit: I didn't know they made Deloreans with flux capacitors in the middle ages. How was your trip?

narcberry

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
I thought you were leaving... can we skip whatever part we're in now, and get to you leaving?