"Report: Climate change will threaten beer production"

• 16 Replies

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
Re: "Report: Climate change will threaten beer production"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
Beer was shitty to begin with.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »
Well, looks like they've found the jackpot for getting attention.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Just kidding.  I'm not an alcoholic.  But I can't wait until Gayer and Chrissetti read this. ;)

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:17:08 AM »
Beer is over rated.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »
As long as it doesn't halt the vodka and cider production I'm fine

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »
Something must be done.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:09 PM »
I am not sure about New Zealand and all that, but I know here in the states grain prices are up because everyone hopped on the Ethanol wagon and converted other crop areas to corn farmland.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:33:26 AM »
lol. Still plenty of beer here.
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
The price of Hops is what is increasing here in the states and in Europe, not so much grains.  Many home-brewery stores have shortages and are very stingy with their hops. 

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 05:59:44 AM »
Doesn't bother me. I can't drink beer made with barley anyway now I got noob disease.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
I drink da malt likra. And alz uz crakaz can suck it. Iz gonna miz crackin open da fawties and laffin at you punk azes but it's cewl. Iz got the malt likra and da flat erf. I'm good.

beast

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
The price of Hops is what is increasing here in the states and in Europe, not so much grains.  Many home-brewery stores have shortages and are very stingy with their hops. 

Are you serious?  Grains are dramatically increasing in price around the world.  This is partly driven by the sudden rise in demand for corn for ethanol, which is competing with demand for corn as food.  This means that there is less food available, hence global rising food prices.  Beer is obviously made from grains, mainly barley, but grains are also largely a food staple.

Of course stories like this really indicate the level of inequality that is being exacerbated by climate change.  We're concerned with the price of beer while people in developing countries are concerned with getting enough food to live.

The terrible injustice of climate change is that food production in developed countries will probably increase while food production in developing countries is going to decrease.  This is despite the fact that developed countries contribute the largest amount of greenhouse gasses causing the problem (especially if you take into account the emissions in processing products in the developing world for developed countries) while the people who are going to suffer the most are the ones who contributed the least to the problem. 

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
Holy shit, beast is back!

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
Easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 04:47:33 PM »

Are you serious?  Grains are dramatically increasing in price around the world.  This is partly driven by the sudden rise in demand for corn for ethanol, which is competing with demand for corn as food.  This means that there is less food available, hence global rising food prices.  Beer is obviously made from grains, mainly barley, but grains are also largely a food staple.

Of course stories like this really indicate the level of inequality that is being exacerbated by climate change.  We're concerned with the price of beer while people in developing countries are concerned with getting enough food to live.

The terrible injustice of climate change is that food production in developed countries will probably increase while food production in developing countries is going to decrease.  This is despite the fact that developed countries contribute the largest amount of greenhouse gasses causing the problem (especially if you take into account the emissions in processing products in the developing world for developed countries) while the people who are going to suffer the most are the ones who contributed the least to the problem. 
lol also if all farmland in america was converted to corn, it wouldn't be enough to power half of our cars. What's that tell you about the ethanol craze?

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
It's basically a tax-payer-funded subsidy for corn farmers.  Not to mention that corn has the LOWEST energy yield for any biofuel conversion in use.  Algae has more than 100-times the fuel production per acre than corn, in gallons.  Soy beans, rape seed, palm, coconut, peanut, switchgrass, and sunflower crops all have greater production in gal/acre than corn, also. 

As far as my Hops vs. Grains comment earlier, I only can say that the brewstore is stingy with hops and not with grain.  There actually is a shortage of hops, whereas grains are still plentiful yet expensive.