A trump card?

• 37 Replies
A trump card?
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »
is there one end all be all fact or argument that proves 100% that the world is flat

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: A trump card?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »
Have you seen evidence with your own eyes which suggests that the earth is a globe?

is there one end all be all fact or argument that proves 100% that the world is flat?

Polar explorer James Clark Ross' 60,000 mile journey along Antarctica is pretty conclusive.

From page 348 of his final volume of South Sea Voyages we read:

"At noon we were in Lat 49° 20' S. and Long 37° 24' E. A light breeze originated from the north-west. Having been done with our mission we made all sail for the Cape of Goodhope."

"In the final narrative of our four year voyage of the Antarctic seas, I must only further observe, that, amongst the many events which has occurred to call fourth our gratitude to God for his guidance during the arduous and hazardous operations in which we have been engaged over the last 62,400 miles. It was most unfortunate that we had lost several of our crew members to sickness and drowning. Their memories will live on in our hearts and minds, as a bastion to the relentless aspirations of man and his never ending avidity for the exploration of new frontiers."

The HMS Challenger later reported a voyage of around 70,000 miles while circumnavigating the Southern Seas. From proof number 78 of "100 proofs The Earth is Not a Globe" by Thomas Winship we read:

"Yes, but we can circumnavigate the South easily enough," is often said by those who don't know, The British Ship Challenger recently completed the circuit of the polar Southern region - indirectly, to be sure - but she was three years about it, and traversed nearly 69,000 miles - a stretch long enough to have taken her six times round on the globular hypothesis. This is a proof that Earth is not a globe."

Looking into the topic further, we can find numerous references to the Challenger's 70,000 mile voyage around the southern polar region:

"The ship sailed from Portsmouth under the command of Captain George Nares and the scientific supervision of Thomson himself, traveled nearly 70,000 miles surveying and sampling the southern reaches of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and Indian Oceans. Their scientific brief, carried out at 362 sampling stations, was to determine the ocean depth, the composition of both shallow and deep water, the speed and direction of surface currents (and, where possible, subsurface currents), as well as noting the prevailing atmospheric conditions and taking samples of local plant and animal life."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:51:38 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
The moon. Everybody has seen the moon except blind people. It's clearly round despite that book saying it's flat, and it doesn't get smaller when it nears the horizon, even though it should under the FE model. The moon pisses all over your Flat Earth theory. All hail the moon!

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
Isn't the HMS Challenger's figure of 70,000 miles including all the traveling around the Pacific and the Atlantic? It did far, far more than just loop the South pole.

In fact, the path followed by the Challenger hardly seems to follow the Antarctic coast at all. It only drops close to Antarctica between Africa and Australia, and even then for only a very small portion of the journey.

?

jdoe

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »
Have you seen evidence with your own eyes which suggests that the earth is a globe?

is there one end all be all fact or argument that proves 100% that the world is flat?

Polar explorer James Clark Ross' 60,000 mile journey along Antarctica is pretty conclusive.

"At noon we were in Lat 49° 20' S. and Long 37° 24' E. A light breeze originated from the north-west. Having been done with our mission we made all sail for the Cape of Goodhope."

"In the final narrative of our four year voyage of the Antarctic seas, I must only further observe, that, amongst the many events which has occurred to call fourth our gratitude to God for his guidance during the arduous and hazardous operations in which we have been engaged over the last 62,400 miles. It was most unfortunate that we had lost several of our crew members to sickness and drowning. Their memories will live on in our hearts and minds, as a bastion to the relentless aspirations of man and his never ending avidity for the exploration of new frontiers."

The HMS Challenger later reported a voyage of around 70,000 miles while circumnavigating the Southern Seas. From proof number 78 of "100 proofs The Earth is Not a Globe" by Thomas Winship we read:

"Yes, but we can circumnavigate the South easily enough," is often said by those who don't know, The British Ship Challenger recently completed the circuit of the polar Southern region - indirectly, to be sure - but she was three years about it, and traversed nearly 69,000 miles - a stretch long enough to have taken her six times round on the globular hypothesis. This is a proof that Earth is not a globe."

Looking into the topic further, we can find numerous references to the Challenger's 70,000 mile voyage around the southern polar region:

"The ship sailed from Portsmouth under the command of Captain George Nares and the scientific supervision of Thomson himself, traveled nearly 70,000 miles surveying and sampling the southern reaches of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and Indian Oceans. Their scientific brief, carried out at 362 sampling stations, was to determine the ocean depth, the composition of both shallow and deep water, the speed and direction of surface currents (and, where possible, subsurface currents), as well as noting the prevailing atmospheric conditions and taking samples of local plant and animal life."

Just look at the circuitous route taken by the Challenger.

http://www.challengeroceanic.com/chal.htm
This expedition wasn't just a simple circumnavigation of the south seas.  It's no surprise that the journey took 70,000 miles.  In fact, if the earth was flat, the journey would have been much longer than 70,000 miles.  This could actually be evidence to the contrary.

The same can be said of the Ross expedition.  It wasn't just a simple circumnavigation of the south seas either.  Ross' 4-year expedition actually consisted of three voyages to the Antarctic.  He was based in Tasmania and returned there after going to different sectors of Antarctica each year.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:57:03 PM by jdoe »
Mars or Bust

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:49 AM »

Just look at the circuitous route taken by the Challenger.

http://www.challengeroceanic.com/chal.htm
This expedition wasn't just a simple circumnavigation of the south seas.  It's no surprise that the journey took 70,000 miles.  In fact, if the earth was flat, the journey would have been much longer than 70,000 miles.  This could actually be evidence to the contrary.

The same can be said of the Ross expedition.  It wasn't just a simple circumnavigation of the south seas either.  Ross' 4-year expedition actually consisted of three voyages to the Antarctic.  He was based in Tasmania and returned there after going to different sectors of Antarctica each year.

Correct me if I’m wrong but ...if I believe in a flat earth and everything associated with it then i wouldn’t believe in space travel or man made satellites making any evidence gathered from the challenger voyage void

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »
Yes. Duh.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:13:42 AM »
Go to the top of a tall mountain by the sea and look out at the horizon on a clear day. How does the FE theory explain the noticeable curvature that is visible to the naked eye?
Save a cow eat a vegetarian.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
Use the search feature.  You should be able to find numerous references.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:08:19 PM »
is there one end all be all fact or argument that proves 100% that the world is flat
This post should be put in the dictionary next to the word narcissism.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »
Go to the top of a tall mountain by the sea and look out at the horizon on a clear day. How does the FE theory explain the noticeable curvature that is visible to the naked eye?

I've been to the top of a mountain on a clear day. The earth is not curved from a mountain.

I've also been on a plane on a clear day. The earth is not curved from a plane either.

TheEngineer, a pilot who posts on this forum, tells us that the horizon of the earth is not curved from any flying altitude. A direct statement of a pilot's experiences in the cockpit.

Quote:

"I believe I said that I put myself through college working for an airline, thus having access to free flights around the world.  I also worked for a private FBO, in which the owner owned a Cessna Citation.  I am also a licensed pilot.  Not once, during any of the hundreds if not thousands of flights I've been on, have I ever witnessed the curvature of the Earth."

How does RE theory explain these observations which suggest that the earth is flat?

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »
There's a discrepancy in your post, Tom.  TheEngineer said the curvature wasn't visible from any altitude that he had flown, which was about 40,000 ft or so if I remember.

?

The Terror

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
Maybe the Engineer just never looked out of the window. Perhaps he suffers from vertigo or something

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
Maybe, perhaps, could be.  ;D

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »

This argument was already owned tom.  He never once said he went 60,000 miles along Antarctica.  60,000 miles was his total trip distance. 
"100 proofs earth not a globe" was written by a 12 year old.
Lastly the bold part bends you over on the 70,000 miles. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:44:47 PM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

NoP-G

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »

No. There isn't 100% proof for anything really. We could all be under the control of a floating monster-like spaghetti creature, you have no absolute 100% disproof. Or proof you exist, or proof dogs are mammals.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
Are you being racist to we CFSGs?! I'll kill you!
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Gabe

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »
No. There isn't 100% proof for anything really. We could all be under the control of a floating monster-like spaghetti creature, you have no absolute 100% disproof. Or proof you exist, or proof dogs are mammals.
I mostly agree with you, in that most practical or new concepts can't really be 100% proven, although for a sliver of human knowledge there are certainties.
Have you heard of René Descartes or David Hume?

....Bishop left.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:52:21 AM by Gabe »
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:14 AM »
This argument was already owned tom.  He never once said he went 60,000 miles along Antarctica.  60,000 miles was his total trip distance. 
Shut the fuck up, you bitter retard.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »
Ever get the feeling I ignore people like you?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 03:44:42 PM »

Thats just cruel Sokky, play nicely
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
I would hope not, seeing as you just addressed him.

Wow, fail.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

The Terror

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »

It's more cruel to ignore people than it is to call them a bitter retard and tell them to shut the fuck up?

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:56 PM »
You make me blush.  :-*

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 06:22:49 PM »

It's more cruel to ignore people than it is to call them a bitter retard and tell them to shut the fuck up?

Yes

Now shut the fuck up you bitter retard
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

The Terror

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »
 :'(

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »
sorry...

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
No, every time someone without an avatar cries, the internet gods feast on their souls.....

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
So?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
Soul feasting is funny.