The Flat Earth Society of Canada

• 15 Replies
?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
The Flat Earth Society of Canada
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »
While the leader of the Flat Earth Society of Canada which existed from 1970 (a year before Charles Johnson's society was founded) to 1993 was Thomas Acquinas University Professor Leo Ferrari, the brains behind it was Alden Nowlan who reposed in 1983 which is why the society essentially had its demise in the mid-1980's.  Ferrari wrote an unpublished book on the subject still residing in the archinves of the UNB library 'Expose of the Globularist Hoax.'  The leaders of the society lived in Fredericton, New Brunswick.

In contrast to Charles Johnson's zetetic system, these Canadians followed the ancient Christian flat Earth model of Aethicus of Istria, the fourth century Russian pilgrim, although Alden Nowlan mistakenly believed he was from the seventh century according to one of the tracts he wrote for the society which I obtained from them several years ago.  The reason I stated that he was from the time of Constantine the Great is due to the statement of Rabbanus Maurus, the ninth century German flat Earther who seems to have been the last significant Latin Flat Earth scholar to date and who was a follower of Aethicus outspoken cosmology.  Nowlan evidently got his seventh century figure from Raymond Beazeley's erudite 1897 'Dawn of Modern Geography' volume one which is based only on Beazeley's estimate without a source to base it on.

Raymond Fraser, a well known Canadian author was one of the inner circle and founders of the society who recently wrote a book with some history of the society.  In the link to the book below on Fraser's website, Fraser is the seaman pictured in the second photo which is a photo of the founders of the Flat Earth Society of Canada while posing for a photo of another society which Alden Nolan founded - the King James true heir hoax, an idea he conceived when he met a new member of their literary circle by the name of James Stewart.  Hence, the idea that James was the rightful descendent of James II, the Roman Catholic King of England in the late 1600's who was overthrown by William and Mary and who the Jacobites tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to restore.

'When the Earth was Flat'
By Raymond Fraser
http://raymondfraser.blogspot.com/

All the members of Alden Nowlan's circle of friendship were and are well published Canadian authors.  Not shown in the photo is the "old man" of the group - the conservationist Farley Mowat.  Alden Nowlan was often visited by the Premier of New Brunswick who found him fascinating to talk with and the membership of the Flat Earth Society of Canada was much stricter than Charles Johnson's scoeity as it required a three year probation period and included mostly people from the upper echelon of society such as lawyers, doctors, movie actors, and assorted professionals.  And the membership was much smaller than Johnson's society.

'An Expose of the Globularist Hoax' - Manuscript in the University of New Brunswick Archives
http://www.hil.unb.ca/archives/finding/ferrari/s2.html

----------------------------------------------------------

'Inventing the Flat Earth:  Columbus and the Modern Historians' by Jeffrey Russell, a work which obviously has no sympathy for the flat Earth view, has never the less made a rather valid point.  Namely, it states that no scientist of stature has asserted a flat earth since the eighth century.  This is evidently true as the revival of the spherical theory of Claudius Ptolemy was accomplished through the muslims who so loved the pagan sciences and preserved and propagated them. 
On the other hand, the flat Earth worldview had already again become widespread and dominant by the third century AD due to the rising Christian influence of that time.  Reference the astute introduction to the Penguin Classics edition of Augustine's 'City of God.'
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:00:46 PM by 17 November »

Re: The Flat Earth Society of Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
They were a satirical group.

Augustine argued that only one side of the earth was inhabited, not that it was flat.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
Quote from: Althalus

Any evidence for this?

I have read their tracts and am convinced otherwise.

Augustine argued that only one side of the earth was inhabited, not that it was flat.

That he did not "argue" for this is true as far as I know, but it should be pointed out that neither did he argue against the flatness of the the Earth.  In the 'City of God,' he stated " 'IF' it can be proved that the earth is round" - a statement which does not endorse a globular earth because Augustine thus questions the possibility that one can prove the Earth to be spherical by virtue of his initiating the proposal with the word "if" which implies uncertainty with reguard to the theory of the spherical philosophers, most of whom were non-Christians.  

In spite of his ambiguity as to the shape of the world, Augustine's arguments against the antipodes are very useful to the flat Earth position, and several of his Augustine's Christian friends were clearly flat Earth proponents.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:59:39 PM by 17 November »

?

fshy94

• ^^^ This is the Earth ...die alien invaders!!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
Hey November, can you not double-post save for bumping? Just edit your old post, it works just as well.
Proof the Earth is round!
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=19341.0

The conspiracy has made it impossible to adequately explain FE theory in English.
^^LOL!

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
This:

*bump*
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

fshy94

• ^^^ This is the Earth ...die alien invaders!!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »
Bumping is just usually a one word post in order to bring a thread back to the top so its more visible. Like Gayer posted, the word is usually "Bump" ;D
Proof the Earth is round!
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=19341.0

The conspiracy has made it impossible to adequately explain FE theory in English.
^^LOL!

?

Miramichier

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:24:21 AM »
    I had the great privilege of knowing Alden Nowlan a little. He told me once about titles being assigned in the Flat Earth Society. He said one of his was something like "Court Fool."
    He said meetings would open with the founder, Leo Ferrari, whose title I forget, standing, pounding his rod on the floor and stating "The world is flat as any fool can plainly see."
    Alden's duty as court fool was to then rise and say "I can see that!" and sit down.
    I have, for years, held in awe the membership of that group of writers, intellectuals and boozers who carried on some of the most fascinating discussions and imaginative projects of the time. The Flat Earth Society was just one of their creations.
    Professor Leo Ferrari, said that his greatest fear was that some day he might wake up stark raving sane.
    I have never read a poet whose work spoke to me more clearly and indisputably than Alden Nowlan's.
    I could go on and on about Alden, Leo, David Adams Richards, Ray Fraser, James Stewart, Premier Richard Hatfield, Theatre New Brunswick founder and artistic director Walter Learning and others but it would be second-hand information. Someone should write a book about the gang and its continuing influence on generations of New Brunswickers and more.
    I think Ray Fraser touched on the challenge when he wrote that there was so much booze involved that details are difficult for the principals to remember clearly.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 04:10:52 AM »
Bumping is just usually a one word post in order to bring a thread back to the top so its more visible. Like Gayer posted, the word is usually "Bump" ;D

I prefer to bump with a hump
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
Quote from: Miramichier
Someone should write a book about the gang and its continuing influence on generations of New Brunswickers and more.

Thanks for that post.  I trust you are already aware of this book:

'When the Earth was Flat'
By Raymond Fraser
http://raymondfraser.blogspot.com/

Quote from: Miramichier
I think Ray Fraser touched on the challenge when he wrote that there was so much booze involved that details are difficult for the principals to remember clearly.

The principle Flat Earth Society of Canada founder, Professor Leo Ferrari is also still alive, although unfortunately he has Dr. Alzheimer's disease.  Incidentally, Leo Fraser has authored several scholarly books about Augustine including an index to Augustine's works.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:07:13 PM by 17 November »

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »
I love that they were based in New Brunswick. I think that says it all right there, lol. They're shifty out east, eh?
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »
The cause of Alzheimer's is smoking out of an aluminum bowl. Duh.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »

Recently, I inquired of Flat Earth Society of Canada founding member Raymond Fraser directly by e-mail and received a reply from him which states that their aim had been "chiefly philosophical."

I must say that you have the right idea about Augustine.  After further investigation, I have no interest in defending him.  I can confidently state that flat earth belief is consistent with the patristic Christian tradition, and that Augustine was never a Church Father but a dissident and the father of the western schism.  His views dissented from the patristic Christian consensus in many other areas as well.

Franks Romans Feudalsim and Doctrine
By John Romanides
http://www.romanity.org/htm/rom.03.en.franks_romans_feudalism_and_doctrine.01.htm

http://www.romanity.org/htm/rom.18.en.augustine_unknowingly_rejects_the_doctrine.00.htm

The Influence of Augustine of Hippo on the Orthodox Church by Michael Azkoul
Reviewer states:
"This study seeks to show that Augustine created a "Greek-Christian synthesis" based on Neo-Platonism, which removes him from the Orthodox mind and the Patristic tradition. The author argues that the theology of Augustine is not the apex of the Patristic tradition, but the beginning of a new one, and is incompatible with the theology of the Orthodox Church, with the difference between the two accounting in part for the separation of Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism."

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »
Here's a video which generally describes Ferrari's model:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2602284039812956586&hl=en

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 12:26:46 AM »
Excellent video.  This analysis of the documentary published by the same company which released the video claims that Ferrari and the other professors interviewed are globularists in real life.

http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/guides/searchguide.pdf

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »

Our Top Story: Tom Bishop Posts An Interesting Video!

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »

Our Top Story: Tom Bishop Posts An Interesting Video!
Don't post without sufficient content.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.