FES Merchandise

• 22 Replies
?

dovregubben

FES Merchandise
« on: May 06, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »
I would like to join the Flat Earth Society.  I want a membership card, a tee-shirt, and a mug.  Will membership and/or merchandise ever become available?

FES Merchandise
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »
you get a card and a newsletter i believe
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

ROTARY

FES Merchandise
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »
hmmm Well I need a special underware so when the alians come to get us they know not to put an anul probe up my butt

FES Merchandise
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
I would love to have an FE t-shirt!
if it has more than 3 moving parts I'm not interested"

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
FES Merchandise
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 05:11:54 PM »
I think Daniel has expressed hopes of restarting the Flat Earth Society as it were before the death of Charles Johnson, but it's not exactly imminent.  I think that while the Flat Earth Society was at it's peak, to become a member you had to sign an affidavit stating something to the effect that you swear that you believe in a flat earth, and that you will never speak against it...then again, I could be very misinformed.

FES Merchandise
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 08:45:51 AM »
I would like to join the Flat Earth Society. I want a membership card, a tee-shirt, and a mug. Will membership and/or merchandise ever become available?

I'm sure you can get it in one of those gag gift shops along with those T-shirts that say "I'm With Stupid".

Okay.  I'm sorry.  Couldn't resist.   :twisted:
 love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they don't know I'm using blanks.

- Jack Handey

Re: FES Merchandise
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »
Quote from: "dovregubben"
I would like to join the Flat Earth Society.  I want a membership card, a tee-shirt, and a mug.  Will membership and/or merchandise ever become available?

I do be willing to pay you double over to help me hunt down these Cubers! They did have been ruining my reputation as a legit plunderer of the sea!
Yoho Yoho a pirate's life for me!
We pillage we plunder we rifle we loot, drink up me hearties yoho!
We kidnap and ravage and dont give a hoot, drink up me hearties yoho!
Yoho Yoho a pirate's life for me!

?

Scurvy Cutlass

FES Merchandise
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »
Arrrrr, I've sailed the seven seas, but ne'er have I encountered you Carnage. Nor have I encountered the end of the Earth these here people speak of. Am I just sailing in circles?

Daniel

• Administrator
FES Merchandise
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »
Quote from: "6strings"
I think Daniel has expressed hopes of restarting the Flat Earth Society as it were before the death of Charles Johnson, but it's not exactly imminent.  I think that while the Flat Earth Society was at it's peak, to become a member you had to sign an affidavit stating something to the effect that you swear that you believe in a flat earth, and that you will never speak against it...then again, I could be very misinformed.

Yes, you're right on all counts.  When Charles K. Johnson was running the Society, new members were required to sign some sort of document swearing that they would never say/do anything to harm the Society.  And I believe new members received a membership card, Flat Earth map and a 1-year subscription to the Flat Earth Society newsletter.  Beyond that, I think it was $10/year for the newsletter subscription.  As a side-note, I should point out that
a number of those issues are online here
if anyone wants to take a look.  Whether or not you agree with it, I can safely say it will be an interesting read.

As for the new incarnation of the Society.. well, I haven't worked out the details yet.  Sadly, I don't have a nice looking Flat Earth map to offer.  I've looked around but, as you might expect, such a thing isn't easy to find.  There are a couple small images, but they're quite low quality and not worth reproducing.  I may end up either designing one myself or commissioning someone to do it.  If that doesn't pan out, new members might just receive a signed/stamped certificate of membership and a membership card.  

If there were to be a membership fee, it would be a one-time charge and only used to cover the cost of materials and postage, which would likely be something like $3 (assuming there's no map involved).  In many ways, I think the Forums serve the same function as the printed newsletter used to, so there would be no need for ongoing subscription fees.  And there wouldn't be any sort of loyalty oath.  I just don't think it's necessary.

I'm quite interested to hear what other people think about membership to the Society..

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
FES Merchandise
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 02:06:38 PM »
I know it may not be strictly FE cannon, Daniel, but if you're looking for a map of a Flat Earth, I've always been particularily enamoured with flyingleaf's rendering of it:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1264

FES Merchandise
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 09:44:15 AM »
If there were to be a membership fee, it would be a one-time charge and only used to cover the cost of materials and postage, which would likely be something like $3 (assuming there's no map involved). In many ways, I think the Forums serve the same function as the printed newsletter used to, so there would be no need for ongoing subscription fees. And there wouldn't be any sort of loyalty oath. I just don't think it's necessary.

Paying 3 bucks to join this club is like paying somebody 3 bucks to call you an idiot.  Why don't you give the 3 bucks to ME instead?  Hey, I'll be your new group leader.  Give me all of your money and I'll be sure to let people know that you are in the club.  Simple enough!
 love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they don't know I'm using blanks.

- Jack Handey

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
FES Merchandise
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 10:13:05 AM »
Quote from: "Joe_Mama"
Paying 3 bucks to join this club is like paying somebody 3 bucks to call you an idiot.  Why don't you give the 3 bucks to ME instead?  Hey, I'll be your new group leader.  Give me all of your money and I'll be sure to let people know that you are in the club.  Simple enough!

That would still be like paying somebody 3 bucks tocall you an idiot.

FES Merchandise
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
Well, the funny thing is that you can call anybody an idiot for free.  I think anybody here wouldn't mind getting 3 bucks so somebody can call them an idiot.  That wouldn't really prove anything either.  HOWEVER, if somebody pays me to call them an idiot, it's verification that they really ARE an idiot.  See how that works?  Besides, I never mentioned that after they pay me the 3 bucks and call me an idiot that I couldn't just turn and give that person a round-house kick to the face.   :twisted:

- Jack Handey

Daniel

• Administrator
FES Merchandise
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
Quote from: "Joe_Mama"

That would still be like paying somebody 3 bucks tocall you an idiot.

At least in my version you get a membership card and a certificate..

FES Merchandise
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 11:24:17 PM »
At least in my version you get a membership card and a certificate..

Yeah, but you would also get the teasing that goes along with it (especially if you met me in real life).  The only thing that would shut me up is if you guys actually backed up what you say with solid facts instead of speculation.

- Jack Handey

FES Merchandise
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
Call me an idiot or not, I want a FE T-shirt.
ou've got to be F***ing kidding me

FES Merchandise
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 11:17:06 PM »
Me too.

?

wiggiar

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 05:31:12 AM »
I'm a newbie to the FES and I too would like at least a membership card to the FES to display with pride!

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 05:31:37 AM »
it's in the post
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:49 AM »
Oh man, an original. I've only got the reprint.

I am damn tempted but 75 is a lot of money for something like that.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
it would be an epic thing to have
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:13 AM »
It wouldn't be hard to find and hire an artist on the cheap to do a FE map.  Just jump on an art forum and put up a thing.  I had to do that a bit ago for a project and got an amazing response by some amazing artists.
Quantum Ab Hoc