South Celestial Pole

• 49 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: South Celestial Pole
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
So astronomers in the southern hemisphere are all hermits and don't talk to each other. Else they would have realised their star maps don't match.

The astronomers from South America, Africa, and Australia all speak different languages. How could they collaborate?

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »
So astronomers in the southern hemisphere are all hermits and don't talk to each other. Else they would have realised their star maps don't match.

The astronomers from South America, Africa, and Australia all speak different languages. How could they collaborate?

A can't help thinking the Southern Hemisphere has a bit of a bad deal in FE theory.  In the north, everything in neatly explained in terms of the pole-centered rotating heavens.  In the south they have to put up with patchy star systems which rotate here and there (and everywhere).

Tom, why don't you take a star map and visit these places?

BTW you're the best troll in the business (I think?!?)
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

• There is no conspiracy...
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »

Oh of course. Just like how we can't collaborate with the French, Italian or Spanish, or the Chinese or Japanese.
FAIL
Quote from: Tomcooper84
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs
ENaG: Evidence Not a Guarantee.

?

jdoe

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 02:07:26 PM »

What century are you from Tom?  English is the language of science nowadays.  Astronomers publish their discoveries in scientific journals and talk at conventions.  Plain and simple, scientists always share their results.  I assure you that the discovery of separate star systems across the southern hemisphere would be the greatest discovery in their field; they would definitely share it.  My original point still applies.  Are you telling me that all astronomers who have ever worked in the southern hemisphere are ignorant of these multiple star systems or hiding them?  You must have an explanation.

In addition, I would like to point out the existence of software that gives the exact location of the stars and planets for any time and any location in the world.  I own one called Starry Night.  You simply type in your longitude, latitude and time, and the a map of all stars and planets with their names labeled appears on screen.  I've tried, and I assure you that the same stars appear no matter where in the southern hemisphere you are.  Both professional and amateur astronomers use software like this.  They would undoubtedly notice if this software was not giving them the correct stars in the sky.  After all it is a commercial product, and no one wants to buy a product that doesn't work.  What is your explanation for this?
Mars or Bust

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »

A can't help thinking the Southern Hemisphere has a bit of a bad deal in FE theory.  In the north, everything in neatly explained in terms of the pole-centered rotating heavens.  In the south they have to put up with patchy star systems which rotate here and there (and everywhere).

Tom, why don't you take a star map and visit these places?

BTW you're the best troll in the business (I think?!?)
I tend to agree. The southern Hemisphere in FET is a bit of an anomaly.
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs

3 Tesla

• Flat Earth double agent
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »
There are plenty of astronomers working in the southern hemisphere from Chile to Australia.  I think they would notice if there were multiple celestial poles and their star maps were wrong.

The Flat Earth Society has found that when you compare starmaps from Chile and starmaps from Australia, the constellations are different.

I have friends who live in Chile and Australia.

If Tom would like to give me copies of these star maps my friends can corroborate the claim that "the constellations are different".

This would provide independent evidence to support the "multiple, counter-rotating Southern Hemidisc star systems" thoery.

Which would be of great benefit to Flat Earth science, no doubt!

So Tom: are you game/up for this little experiment?
"E pur si muove" ("And yet it moves"); Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

?

trig

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »
There are plenty of astronomers working in the southern hemisphere from Chile to Australia.  I think they would notice if there were multiple celestial poles and their star maps were wrong.

The Flat Earth Society has found that when you compare starmaps from Chile and starmaps from Australia, the constellations are different.

I have friends who live in Chile and Australia.

If Tom would like to give me copies of these star maps my friends can corroborate the claim that "the constellations are different".

This would provide independent evidence to support the "multiple, counter-rotating Southern Hemidisc star systems" thoery.

Which would be of great benefit to Flat Earth science, no doubt!

So Tom: are you game/up for this little experiment?

Please sign me up for this experiment. Since I live 4.5 degrees North of the Equator, I can see the whole sky, except for the stars with declination between -90 and -84. This means I can see every constellation except Octans.

And Tom Bishop can also help himself, with his two computer-guided telescopes. Without moving from his place of residence, somewhere in California if I remember correctly, he can see the whole sky except for declinations from -90 to -56 degrees. That is most of the Southern sky, more than enough to see if stars appear to move as if they are placed in a giant sphere, centered on Earth, or not.

There is no place on Earth that can only see constellations that Tom Bishop cannot see. If he shows us the stellar charts he has, we can compare them with the "official" charts and with direct observations made from different parts of the world.

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
I might bump this.  Obviously Tom must have forgotten about this topic.  Best remind him, because why wouldn't he want to prove an experiment in the name of FE?
I myself am not a RE'er or FE'er more a OE'er with lumpy bits (Oval Earther with lumpy bits)

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
I might bump this.  Obviously Tom must have forgotten about this topic.  Best remind him, because why wouldn't he want to prove an experiment in the name of FE?

I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere to participate in such an experiment. But even if such an experiment were performed and the observers looked southward and saw the same stars it would prove nothing about the shape of the earth since there are some maps of the FE where Australia and Argentina are pointing in the same direction.

http://theflatearthsociety.net/forum/index.php?topic=544.0

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 02:39:15 AM »

I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere to participate in such an experiment. But even if such an experiment were performed and the observers looked southward and saw the same stars it would prove nothing about the shape of the earth since there are some maps of the FE where Australia and Argentina are pointing in the same direction.

This map doesn't correspond to your theory well, because it doesn't have north pole in centre.

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »

It's funny how this hasn't got out since the invention of the interweb, you would have thought someone would say "woah, those stars are completely different!" but no, because unlike some people, we do our jobs.

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »

So do you think that map is correct instead of the normal round earth map with the antartic icewall. They both can not be correct at the same time.

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 03:44:31 AM »
i have been over the south pole in a plane and the earth looked pretty round to me.

explain please?

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »

Tom, please say you didn't say this! Please!
Think hard. Think Flat.

svenanders

• I'm always right. If you disagree, you're wrong.
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 04:33:13 AM »
HE DID! :D

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »
HE DID! :D

Yeah, that comment was so ridiculous I joined the forum just to note it. This is aside from the fact that many PhD programs require the people in them to be able to converse in at least one other language that their discipline occurs in. For example, I'm a math PhD student now and I'm going to need to be able to learn probably either German, Russian, or Chinese.

Incidentally, when I was an undergrad I had an astronomy prof who traveled pretty much all over the world. I guess he was part of the conspiracy?

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 05:10:41 AM »

Hmm, some people speak more than one language.  ::)

Yet another Tomism.
Everyday household experimentation.

?

grogberries

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
I think it's one of those witty thing Tom does. He is using a dialectic argument. He is like a wise Socrates.
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

trig

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 05:19:23 AM »
I think it's one of those witty thing Tom does. He is using a dialectic argument. He is like a wise Socrates.
Please do not compare Socrates with Tom Bishop. Socrates helped create a whole new approach to knowledge, while Tom Bishop only tries to sound cute.

Would you ever imagine Socrates, for example, citing articles he did not read further than the first paragraph or two? Or purposively ignore and obfuscate the information he did not like?

Socrates was all about letting the exploration lead you closer to the truth. Tom Bishop is about choosing the truth first and force the exploration into that direction with a hammer.

?

grogberries

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »
Nonsense! Tom is a lover of wisdom. He shares love and knowledge within every word he writes.
Think hard. Think Flat.