my 2nd question

• 36 Replies

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
Re: my 2nd question
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »
Quote from: Raist
So you think the Earth is made of neon plastic? Interesting update.

Now why would I believe that?
You compared it to a frisbee.

All frisbees are made of neon plastic?  ???

(OT I know, but still!)
Do all rabbit turds stink?

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:30 AM »
So it's okay to think that the earth is unique in the fact that it contains life, but no okay to think it is unique in shape.  ::) Sounds airtight.

There are reasons why our planet can contain life. You know this. None here have provided any reasonable explanation and striking evidence on why the earth would be flat. You can't compare those two. Sorry.
Also, the plant is not unique in being a planet. There are a lot of planets. It just happend to be on the right place at the right time. ;)

I don't understand how life came about. All I'm saying is this. With all of our looking so far, earth is the place. Earth is the only place with life. Should we then question whether we actually exist? It is not a good argument to say the earth is not flat because no other bodies we've observed look like earth. This is my point. Nothing to do with how life began.
Life, as far as all tests have been able to find out, is just a chemical reaction (well a complicated one, but still just a chemical reaction). So, there is nothing special about life as far as what it is, is concerned.

The biggest problem about how life got started is not that we don't have any idea, it is that we have too many. The reason we still need to keep trying to find out how it got started is that it would be good to know which way, and, even if it was ina way that we have not yet discovered. Yes, although we have more than half a dozen different ways life could have gotten started here on Earth (that is not even looking at ways it might have come here from somewhere else) there could quite easily be more ways that it could ahve gotten started. The other reason we need to know how it got started here on Earth is that knowing that it would give us a better idea where to look for life in other places.

Now, why we haven't found life else where (yet) is that life is quite fragile (as far as we know it - but it is also quite robust in other ways). Because it is a complex process, this means that it can be disrupted in many different ways. In an environment that is hostile to the formation of complex chemistry, life is not likely to form, however, if life can exist near it, then it could be possible for it to adapt to that environment (and that is why life is quite robust - once it forms evolution can allow it to adapt).

One thing that life needs is something for which the chemical reactions to take place in, and this medium needs to be able to easily transport the chemicals around so that they can interact. This  medium is its self a chemical and so would also react with the chemicals that is going into creating life, but if this medium reacts in a way that disrupts the processes of life, then life will not form.

Liquid Water is one such chemical that we know allows this to occur, there is also some possibility that some hydrocarbons (like those found on the Moon Titan) might act in this manner, but we still do not know if it would.

As the only place we know where liquid water exists is on Earth, then it is very likely that Earth might be the only place in our solar system where life currently exists.

However, on Mars, they are finding evidence that liquid water once existed, and there is even some hints that liquid water might still exists there (and even hints that life might still be there). The problem is that Mars is a long way off (at best, 6 months with current space ships, usually longer though) and it is hard to explore a whole planet (we have been extensively exploring our planet for well over 500 years and we still have not explored all of it - we have only been exploring Mars for less than 50 years and we have not had as many explorers there either).

As for Titan, we have sent only one probe onto the surface (the cloud cover blocks most satellite exploration), that only landed in one spot and wasn't designed to look for life.

There are a few other places where life might be in this solar system, like on Europa. Because Jupiter has such a strong gravitational field, it causes the moons near it to experience a squeezing as they orbit. This squeezing causes friction which causes heat which might be enough to melt the interior of Europa.

IF this is the case, then there would be volcanoes, and these would melt the ice around them and allow liquid water to exist. Now we know that here on Earth that life can exist on the material spewed out by underwater volcanoes (we call them black smokers), so if this is the case on Europa, then it is quitel liekly that life does indeed exist on Europa.

The catch is, the ice is very thick (around 3 to 4 km thick), we have never sent a probe to Europa's surface, let alone under the ice (but they are in the process of developing them) and it is a very long way away.

But, the real question is for the FEers: IF they did discover life on another planet or moon in our solar system, would you accept it or claim that it was all part of the hoax?
Everyday household experimentation.

svenanders

• I'm always right. If you disagree, you're wrong.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 11:24:33 AM »

The shape yes, but not what it's made of.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
So it's okay to think that the earth is unique in the fact that it contains life, but no okay to think it is unique in shape.  ::) Sounds airtight.

There are reasons why our planet can contain life. You know this. None here have provided any reasonable explanation and striking evidence on why the earth would be flat. You can't compare those two. Sorry.
Also, the plant is not unique in being a planet. There are a lot of planets. It just happend to be on the right place at the right time. ;)

I don't understand how life came about. All I'm saying is this. . .

You are missing my point.
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 05:55:26 AM »
Where are all the white women?

C.B.B. Cat

• Cat for Mod
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 06:28:12 AM »
Where are all the white women?

Coo eee <waves>

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »

The shape yes, but not what it's made of.

It's shaped nothing like a frisbee. In fact it is completely unfrisbeelike.