« on: January 27, 2008, 01:54:39 PM »
http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Please explain.

Beng.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Virgin Galactic
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »
Scaled Composites is a Government Contractor.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »

I was really after an explanation of why they are offering anybody the chance to leave the earth's atmosphere and enter space which is impossible in FE. Furthermore, if the earth is flat, how will they hide this?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:10:57 PM »
VG barely pokes its nose above the Karman line.  However, this is not prohibited by the FE.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
I was really after an explanation of why they are offering anybody the chance to leave the earth's atmosphere and enter space which is impossible in FE.

It's possible to enter space, it's just sustained space travel which is impossible.

Furthermore, if the earth is flat, how will they hide this?

The sun shines a circular spotlight upon the earth, and so the earth appears curved from a very high altitude.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »
But earth would  not appear like a flat disk, it would appear as a sphere. The same way a picture on a flat canvas could be distinguished from a picture on a curved canvas.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
VG barely pokes its nose above the Karman line.  However, this is not prohibited by the FE.

Ok, how about Constellation Services International, who are planning to offer a week's orbit of the moon?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:27:31 PM by bENG »

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:31:15 PM »
Well, what about FPI (Flat Planet International) that is planning a week long vacation on the ice wall in 2050?

-- Bob Hudson

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »
hahhaa
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Well, what about FPI (Flat Planet International) that is planning a week long vacation on the ice wall in 2050?

Impossible. Everyone knows it guarded by at least a few hundred men with basic equipment.

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
"sustained" space travel? come on, even in the FE model, if something went straight up fast enough it would never come back down. that's not only "sustained", but infinite!

read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity
or this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_program

BTW, it's because of Voyager that scientists believe Io has volcanos!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »
"sustained" space travel? come on, even in the FE model, if something went straight up fast enough it would never come back down. that's not only "sustained", but infinite!
Really?  How fast would that be?

-- Bob Hudson

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »

Hold on a second, lately you've been saying that the conspiracy is solely the work of NASA and has nothing to do with the government.

?

Germanicus

• Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
Hold on a second, lately you've been saying that the conspiracy is solely the work of NASA and has nothing to do with the government.

Tom has no solid stance on anything, except that the earth is flat

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 09:22:14 AM »

For one, NASA is part of the Government, which is why NASA's website is nasa.gov.

Secondly, consider that NASA hires Government Contractors build all of its equipment. NASA doesn't physically build much itself. Therefore we can conclude that several high tech Government Contractors must be in on the Conspiracy.

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
However, what happens when the public travel to space, look down on earth and see the sphere which is earth? If what they saw was the spotlight from the sun, how on earth (flat or round) would it appear spherical? They could clearly see the surface of the planet 'wrapped' around as a spherical shape.

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »
you obviously didn't read that "escape velocity" link. it tells exactly how fast something in RE would have to to going.

so how fast do YOU think a rocket would have to go to reach the moon?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »
you obviously didn't read that "escape velocity" link. it tells exactly how fast something in RE would have to to going.
Your knowledge of orbital mechanics is surprisingly lacking.

Did I say surprising?  I meant the other thing:  Expected.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Cheesesack

• This Site Makes Me Weep For Humanities Future
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
Also, if the sun was a spot light, it would be obvious from the amount it moves in relation to the Virgin Galactic plane/spaceship, same with the moon. Also, even if the sun did cause a slight appearance of curvature it would be no where near enough to hide the earth being flat. Not to mention the fact that you would be able to see the ice wall. On a related note, I presume the orbital images of the south pole are 'faked' as well.
If there was a god, I would thank him for giving me the patience to endure the pitiful attempts of brain-dead morons who try to force us to question scientific fact that was proven in the middle-ages. Fortunately, LSD is not commonly available.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
But earth would  not appear like a flat disk, it would appear as a sphere. The same way a picture on a flat canvas could be distinguished from a picture on a curved canvas.

And how do you distinguish the two?  Try closing one eye and distinguish between a 3d object a 2d image.

Have a look at this picture (square A is the same shade as square B) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG and tell me if you still trust your eyes.

The flat, disc, earth looks a little like a sphere because of the lighting from the sun.  This is fact.

That does not make it a sphere.  VG is not going to enter space like Nasa did, so they may not have to fake any photos.  If they go high enough... either nasa will need to step in and shut them down, or they are in collaboration with nasa and "real" people won't be going up.

Now thats science.  I just made a prediction based on the facts (earth is flat and nasa is a conspiracy), when VG comes out, we'll see what happens.

rtbm24

• Let's face it - the Earth is round
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »

For one, NASA is part of the Government, which is why NASA's website is nasa.gov.

Secondly, consider that NASA hires Government Contractors build all of its equipment. NASA doesn't physically build much itself. Therefore we can conclude that several high tech Government Contractors must be in on the Conspiracy.

...so Civil Air Patrol must be part of the government because our website is cap.gov? That is wrong, so it is wrong to assume that just because an organization's website ends in .gov it is a government agency. Now, NASA is a government agency, but I'm just pointing that out.

On topic...

So what of the footage from Spaceship 1? Is that fake? Once the first space tourists go up and take pictures from space, will those be considered hoaxes?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
So what of the footage from Spaceship 1? Is that fake? Once the first space tourists go up and take pictures from space, will those be considered hoaxes?

The question is, when they come back and say the earth is not a globe, will you think those pictures are hoaxes?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."