Clarification on Gravity

• 1275 Replies
Re: Clarification on Gravity
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »
how can two things be attracted without a force? Or are you saying they are, its just a different force?

Doesnt gravitational imply gravitation??
But a sure-fire method would be to land on the top side of the sun.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »
how can two things be attracted without a force?
Why must there be a force between the two?

Uh, yea.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »
how can two things be attracted without a force? Or are you saying they are, its just a different force?

If I have a ball at the bottom of a hill and I place a ball near the top of the hill would you argue that the only reason the second ball rolls towards the other is because there is a force between the two balls?

« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2008, 11:41:38 PM »

Because you are saying they have an attraction? How else are two things attracted? not including humans lol.

Uh, yea.

I thought gravitation is the force that your saying is between them so whats wrong with using gravitational then??

If I have a ball at the bottom of a hill and I place a ball near the top of the hill would you argue that the only reason the second ball rolls towards the other is because there is a force between the two balls?

Um no. But i would argue the only reason the second ball is moving is because there is a big ass ball called the earth applying a force on it.

« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »

Because you are saying they have an attraction? How else are two things attracted? not including humans lol.

Uh, yea.

I thought gravitation is the force that your saying is between them so whats wrong with using gravitational then??

Um no. But i would argue the only reason the second ball is moving is because there is a big ass ball called the earth applying a force on it.

So there's no force acting between the balls then?

« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »

Uh, yea.

So there's no force acting between the balls then?

Yes there is but its not the sole reason they are moving towards eachother, like you asked.

« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2008, 02:32:48 AM »

Can someone explain this please? already asked it.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:54 AM »
Gravitation isn't a force.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:35 AM »

Yes there is but its not the sole reason they are moving towards eachother, like you asked.

You said there was no force. So why does the top ball roll down the hill?

?

fshy94

• ^^^ This is the Earth ...die alien invaders!!
« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »

It's a perceived force. In actuality, its just a tendency, because of the curvature of spacetime, so meh.
Proof the Earth is round!
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=19341.0

Quote from: Althalus
The conspiracy has made it impossible to adequately explain FE theory in English.
^^LOL!

« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

It's a perceived force. In actuality, its just a tendency, because of the curvature of spacetime, so meh.

Well that was the analogy I was going for but it appears to have been completely lost on Colossal

« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2008, 06:44:59 PM »

where did i say there was no force?

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min

« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
Your hilarious you know that. You should be comedian.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
You are stupid, you know that? You should improve your grammar skills.

Sorry, uncalled for.

« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
yeah my grammars bad and i dont care. Im not going to write a novel or anything. But im not stupid i can tell you that. Im not going to tell you why because i dont like bragging.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #256 on: May 21, 2008, 07:29:44 PM »
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

narcberry

« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »
im not stupid i can tell you that

Sounds like an unbiased source. I'm going to go with your previous track record on this one and just assume you're wrong.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
im not stupid i can tell you that

Sounds like an unbiased source. I'm going to go with your previous track record on this one and just assume you're wrong.

With any luck he'll work solely on cats and leave dogs alone...
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
Yea because large animals dont exist? lol. Im not sure what im going to do yet. I like the idea of mixed practice, but they say you never end up doing what you go into the course wanting to do. Except for a few people who are heart set, though even some of them change. Our lecturers are all perfect examples, none of them went into the kind of job/practice they thought they would.

?

rabidgnome229

« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2008, 10:43:07 PM »
I apologize if this has been asked, but I would rather not wade through 14 pages of people calling each other idiots, and the search function falls a bit flat in threads like this.

How does explaining gravity as curvature of space rather than a force change anything?  The effect is the same - objects being attracted to one another.  If you are willing to concede that objects attract one another it would seem to me that all of the FE-contradicting inconveniences that gravity cause would still apply.

narcberry

« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »
You're an FE'er in RE'er clothes aren't you?
Your first post is glaringly lacking misspellings, 3rd grade physics examples, flaming, and the word lulz.

I don't think we have a place for you here.

« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:36 AM »
no, you fit in fine. Your just above little boys school english teachers like narcberry.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2008, 12:43:04 AM »
I apologize if this has been asked, but I would rather not wade through 14 pages of people calling each other idiots, and the search function falls a bit flat in threads like this.

How does explaining gravity as curvature of space rather than a force change anything?  The effect is the same - objects being attracted to one another.  If you are willing to concede that objects attract one another it would seem to me that all of the FE-contradicting inconveniences that gravity cause would still apply.
This thread, as is stated in the OP, is not about RE/FE.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2008, 12:46:33 AM »
How does explaining gravity as curvature of space rather than a force change anything?  The effect is the same - objects being attracted to one another.

Maybe just answer that for him then.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »
Gravity is neither of those.

-- Bob Hudson

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2008, 04:29:40 AM »

As stated in the OP, gravity pertains only to objects with mass. Thus, the effects would not be the same.
objectively good

« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
Before I was enlightened with the FE theroy, I belived Gravuty was the curvature of space caused by mass. Thus the more massive the higher amount of gravity. I also theroized that Black holes could be tears in space or a massive curvature.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2008, 12:00:02 AM »
Before I was enlightened with the FE theroy, I belived Gravuty was the curvature of space caused by mass. Thus the more massive the higher amount of gravity. I also theroized that Black holes could be tears in space or a massive curvature.

This thread has nothing to do with the FE theory. Nice troll attempt though.
objectively good

« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »

This thread has nothing to do with the FE theory. Nice troll attempt though.
I simply stated my theroies of gravity. And thanks.