Daniel

• Administrator
The Flat-Earth Belief of Bible Writers
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:47:28 PM »
by Adrian Swindler
The Skeptical Review: 1990: Number One
http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1990/1/1flat90.html

All Christian sects recognize the Bible as the primary source of revelation. This compiled material was allegedly inspired by God and written by chosen authors to reveal him and his will to man. The Bible, then, is the foundation of the Christian religion. To Christian fundamentalists who believe in verbal inspiration, the Bible is an infallible foundation. They claim that "the Holy Spirit so dominated and guided the minds and pens of those who wrote (the Bible) as to make their writings free from mistakes of any and all kinds, whether it be mistakes of history or chronology or botany or biology or astronomy, or mistakes as to moral and spiritual truth pertaining to God or man, in time or eternity," (Wilbur F. Tillett, "The Divine Elements in the Bible," The Abingdon Bible Commentary).

Despite the obvious sincerity of those who so view the Bible, the inerrancy doctrine has no basis in fact. That the Bible contains mistakes in every area mentioned by Mr. Till is a truth widely recognized by reputable Bible scholars. One of the most consistent scientific errors that Bible writers made concerned their misconception of the earth's shape. In Psalm 24:2, for example, it was said that "the world and all that is in it belong to the Lord; the earth and all who live on it are his. He built it on the deep waters beneath the earth and laid its foundations in the ocean depths," (GNB).

This passage and others like it in the Bible make no sense until they are interpreted in terms of the ancient Hebrew conception of the world as represented in the graphic illustrations on the following page that were published in the New American Bible and The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. (Similar ones appear in other Bible dictionaries.) If you will study the graphics and then read the above quotation again, the psalmist's meaning will become quite clear. He thought the earth rested on foundations or pillars that God had set in the ocean depths. Needless to say, modern science knows better.

Here are just a few of the many other passages that prove Bible writers were ignorant of Earth's spherical shape:

Daniel 4:7-8, "I saw a tree of great height at the center of the world. It was large and strong, with its top touching the heavens, and it could be seen from the ends of the earth." This was allegedly an inspired dream, yet it conveys a flat-earth concept, because no matter how tall a tree would be, people on the other side of a spherical earth could not see it.

Matthew 4:8, "The devil took him (Jesus) to a very high mountain and displayed before him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence...." The only plausible reason for the "very high mountain" was that the altitude would make it possible to see to the ends of the earth. Only on a flat earth would this be remotely possible, so the New Testament writers were as ignorant as the Old.

In Genesis 11:4, the people wanted to build a tower up to heaven. If you look at the graphics above, you can see their concept of heavenly bodies under the dome, not all that far away. Presumably, the Lord was afraid they would be able to accomplish their plan, so he caused them to speak various languages. This, of course, is not the reason people speak different languages, but nothing is too fantastic for the ignorant to believe.

The following references show that Bible writers thought there was water above a solid dome with floodgates (look at the graphics again) that could be opened to make it rain:

Job 38:22, "Have you entered the storehouse of the snow, and seen the treasury of the hail?" Look at items two and three in the graphic from the Interpreter's Dictionary, and the intended meaning of this statement becomes very clear.

Psalm 104:3, 13, "You stretch the heavens out like a tent, you build your palace on the waters above.... You water the mountains from your palace." Here God dwells in a palace above the waters over the firmament or dome. To water the mountains, he opens the floodgates. Quite unscientific!

Genesis 1:6-7, "Let there be a dome to divide the water and to keep it in two separate places... and it was done. So Godmade a dome, and it separated the water under it from the water above it." So the NAB and The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible are quite correct in their graphic representations of what the Bible writers believed and taught. How many of you readers believe the earth is flat? The Bible teaches it is!

Christian fundamentalists have used various scriptures to try to prove that Bible writers knew the earth was round. Since I have already shown that these writers thought the earth is flat, if some verses actually do teach that it is round, then there is a contradiction in the Bible and the fundamentalists lose anyway.

Job 38:13-14 is sometimes quoted as a round-earth text: "Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place; that it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment." Claim is made that the statement about the earth "turn(ing) as clay to the seal" was a reference to the earth's rotation, but this passage has nothing to do with movement. The word used was haphak, which meant "to convert, to change, or to make clear." It is the same word that was used in Exodus 7 in reference to Aaron's rod turning into a serpent and the waters of Egypt turning to blood, so rather than the word meaning turning in the sense of movement, it meant turning in the sense of changing. The GNB clarifies the meaning in Job 38:14: "Daylight makes the hills and valleys stand out like the folds of a garment, clear as the imprint of a seal on clay." So, far from teaching the revolution of the earth, this was merely a reference to the effects of sunlight in the morning. Notice also that the KJV refers here to "the ends of earth." This would indicate a flat earth, since there are no ends to a globe.

Job 26:7 has also been cited as proof that the writer of this book knew that the earth was a sphere: "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place and hangeth the earth upon nothing." An NAB footnote at this verse says, "The North: used here as a synonym for the firmament, cf. Is. 14:13," (emphasis inserted). Thus, we read, "He stretches out the dome (firmament) over the empty space." In other words, the dome was unsupported in the middle. The reference in Isaiah 14:13 says, "You (King of Babylon) were determined to climb up to heaven and place your throne above the highest stars (see the graphics). You thought you would sit like a king on that mountain in the north where the gods assemble." The "north" was indeed used as a synonym for the heavens or firmament, so the passage was actually speaking of a "mountain in the heavens where the gods assemble."

"He... hangeth the earth upon nothing" simply expressed a Hebrew belief that the flat earth, although supported by pillars, did not rest on the back of Atlas or a turtle or an elephant, as their pagan neighbors believed. In this Job was right but not because he was inspired; otherwise, he wouldn't have said in the same context, "The pillars of the heavens tremble (see the graphics) and are stunned at his thunderous rebuke," (26:11). He thought the thunder was God's voice!

Fundamentalists use Isaiah 40:22 to argue that Earth's rotundity was known to the writer: "It is he (God) that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in." They misunderstand the first half of the verse, which is clarified by the placement of "God's throne" in the NAB graphic, and they avoid the second half. The NAB gives us a proper translation of the verse: "He sits enthroned above the vault (dome) of the earth.... He stretches out the heavens like a veil, spreads them out like a tent to dwell in." See the graphic illustrations again and check the Hebrew concept of firmament as explained in Eerdmans and other reliable Bible dictionaries.

The Hebrews were inspired by nothing more than their political and religious motivations. Thus, being ignorant of scientific facts, they thought the earth was flat, that sick people were possessed by demons, and that essentially everything was caused by either gods or demons. Unfortunately, many people are still just as ignorant.

?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:47:42 AM »
let's remember, the bible itself isn't proof of anything.

?

Jake2o04

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:51:38 PM »
You are taking most of these passages literally.  Some parts of the bible are meant to teach lessons, and some, as you even stated yourself were a dream.

?

lukey

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:13:17 PM »
I have to agree with jake2o04 here. It would be wrong to assume a literal translation of the passages. Many of the writings are expected to be interpretted as metophors.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 02:15:38 AM »
I am a Christian, and I think the world is round.

The Bible is meant as a spitirual book, not a science book. Using it as a science book usually has bad results.

Most of the Bible is stories. Just because some guy had a dream that there was a really tall tree in the center of the world doesn't mean they were ingorant.

I think that most of those are metaphors, or can be explained in another way.
Shrimp

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 02:35:19 PM »
Quote from: "shrimpdesign"
The Bible is meant as a spitirual book, not a science book. Using it as a science book usually has bad results.

Though it's true that most of the Bible is a spiritual book that deals with dreams, prophecies, and other matters of faith, other parts were clearly intended as science or history.  
Take the story of creation.  Most people today realize that the world wasn't created in a week, but if you disregard the timescale, it's actually pretty accurate.  First came the stars (light), then the Earth and oceans, then life developed in the ocean and eventually spread to land.  Humans came about sometime after that.  We can forgive the warped timescale on the grounds that the actual timescale was so vast and still remains difficult to comprehend even for well-educated people today, so a book written for the uneducated masses centuries ago would simplify it.  Other parts of the Bible, such as the story of the Exodus from Egypt and accounts of wars, are clearly intended to be a record of Hebrew history.
It's important to keep in mind that before modern science, God or gods were the only explanation people had for natural phenomena, such as thunderstorms or floods, and our own existence.  The idea of God was also used to make people follow the laws of society (look at the Ten Commandments) by telling them that even if they got away with something now, God would eventually punish them for it.

Therefore, claiming that the Bible is only a spiritual book that was not meant to be taken as science is completely incorrect.  The best we can do is say that most of the science it teaches contains flaws, whether they be minor (like the creation timescale) or major (such as the shape of the Earth).
quot;In the beginning the Universe was created.  This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

--Douglas Adams

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:30:51 PM »
I'll try to clear this thing (at least a bit), mainly for the Bible beleavers (it is useless to clear things about the Bible for non beliavers because someone that refuse to believe, most likely will do it anyways).

If you read in the Bible "the earth is flat" or "the flatness of the Earth", please let me know where it is.

The Bible is a book intended mostly for spiritual understanding and also for living, and not a book intended for science, but properly studied, it has not contradiction at all with science.

Do you see anywhere in the Bible God teaching science to the people? I don't. It is like God left the science for the human development.
This verse makes me think this: Genesis 1:28
Look at the phrase "and subdue it".
I still didn't study the Hebrew word for subdue, so I still can assure nothing.

That the Bible contains mistakes in every area mentioned by Mr. Till is a truth widely recognized by reputable Bible scholars.

There are a lot of "reputable Bible scholars" that teaches anything but doctrines against to what the Bible actually says, so that's proof of nothing.

Let's clear another thing: even when God is not going to lie, they won't say something that it is not going to be understood by the people that He was talking to. He wouldn't speak about cars and computers, or the speed of light, or radiation of uranium, because they had no idea about that and He only would confuse their minds with these sort of things, missing the point He was traying to teach. The point He was trying to teach was far most important from His spiritual view than teaching about uranium or solar system or the shape of the Earth.

Psalm 24:2
"For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods."
"upon the seas" means higher that the seas, not over the seas. The same for "upon the floods".
I believe He is talking about ground and not Earth, but we would have also to study the Hebrew word there.

Another possible explanation that I could think is if that in fact there are big water deposit inside the Earth. I know there are underground floods, but may be there are also seas. We don't really know the exact composition of the Earth right now, we can have an idea of only a couple of miles inward.

All other verses can have explanations, I'll try to explain to anyone intereted.
Bye.

Edit: Look at this verse: Job 26:7
"He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing"
See, "hangeth the earth upon nothing". There is no seas there.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 03:37:52 PM »
Another possible explanation that I could think is if that in fact there are big water deposit inside the Earth. I know there are underground floods, but may be there are also seas. We don't really know the exact composition of the Earth right now, we can have an idea of only a couple of miles inward.

There is no huge water deposit inside the earth.  The core of the earth is molten rock, mostly iron.  Geologists have studied the composition of the earth for years and they know this is true even though they've never been there.  How could you possibly justify the claim that there is a huge supply of water underground without denying the existence of volcanoes?
quot;In the beginning the Universe was created.  This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

--Douglas Adams

Re: The Flat-Earth Belief of Bible Writers
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 04:03:45 PM »
Quote from: "Daniel"

Daniel 4:7-8, "I saw a tree of great height at the center of the world. It was large and strong, with its top touching the heavens, and it could be seen from the ends of the earth."

What... like Yddgrasil?

DANIEL WAS A VIKING!

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 08:04:04 PM »
Haha the Norse world tree what an obscure reference
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 12:16:22 AM »
The Daniel passage talks about a dream, it doesn't have to be all according to reality.

For more explanation about flat-earth in the bible:
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c015.html

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

LIAR!!! The Word of God is infalliable, and only a heathen like you wouldn't know that. Jumping Jesus, haven't you ever taken your heathen butt to church? No wonder the homosexuals and liberals are taking over!!
   Let every man be a liar and God be true! If  God's Word says that the Moon is made of cheese, then by God, it *IS* made of cheese!
    Your puny mind is no match for the power of the Word of God!!! You need to go to church son, repent and come to Jesus and be baptized or the question if the world is flat (like it is) or round (NOT!) won't matter because you will be burning in eternal hellfire!!! REPENT!!!!
ow you liberal secular humanists may have come from a dirty monkey, but not me! No, Sirree!

Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
Quote from: "shrimpdesign"
I am a Christian, and I think the world is round.

Most of the Bible is stories. Just because some guy had a dream that there was a really tall tree in the center of the world doesn't mean they were ingorant.

I think that most of those are metaphors, or can be explained in another way.

HERETIC!!! Your as bad as the heathen! God is going to spew you out of His mouth because your neither hot, nor cold! You can't sit on the fence and side here with the Secular Humanist Atheist Liberals, and then there with God's Chosen Ones'! No sirre! Either you side with Satan and meet your fate with him, or side with the Chosen Children of God!!!
ow you liberal secular humanists may have come from a dirty monkey, but not me! No, Sirree!

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 07:15:03 AM »
Quote from: "Dawg"
Quote from: "Anonymous"

LIAR!!! The Word of God is infalliable, and only a heathen like you wouldn't know that. Jumping Jesus, haven't you ever taken your heathen butt to church? No wonder the homosexuals and liberals are taking over!!
   Let every man be a liar and God be true! If  God's Word says that the Moon is made of cheese, then by God, it *IS* made of cheese!
    Your puny mind is no match for the power of the Word of God!!! You need to go to church son, repent and come to Jesus and be baptized or the question if the world is flat (like it is) or round (NOT!) won't matter because you will be burning in eternal hellfire!!! REPENT!!!!

I agree with you mate. The bible is infalliable. So, how long have you gone without eating pork? All your life, or did you convert later on?

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 04:43:36 PM »
"The Bible is a book of the Truth, not 'facts'". My bible study teacher loves to say that.

I believe everything written in it is absolutely true -- to the people who wrote it.  All the books currently included (and not included by some) were used to further people's faith; to explain the un-explainable; and probably most importantly, to spread the Word.

One needs to recognize the bias inherant in all man's works, because as Christians we should know that we have the freedom to not follow God's directions (and frequently do not).  Therefore, even Divine-Inspired Word can be biased.  The Belief should come from Faith that while God's Ultimate Plan may be waylaid by human folly, it cannot be fully stopped.

Or in easier terms:  We can admit that the Bible is mistranslated, but the Truth in it can still be found if one looks carefully and reflect on it.

What does this mean for the Flat-Earth Proponents?  Not much, actually.  I just wanted to state my opinion on the Bible.  It is a good book.  And you'd come to that same conclusion if you read it carefully and critically.

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 03:21:57 PM »
Quote from: "flyingleaf"
"The Bible is a book of the Truth, not 'facts'". My bible study teacher loves to say that.

I believe everything written in it is absolutely true -- to the people who wrote it.  All the books currently included (and not included by some) were used to further people's faith; to explain the un-explainable; and probably most importantly, to spread the Word.

Your real close to Hellfire, son. I can hear you sizzling allready. Look, the Bible is correct, 100% of the time. Every word, syllabele and paragraph is true. Only those whom the scriptures say are under "strong delusions" in these Last Days, are convinced otherwise.
   Science is of the Devil. It originated from Satanists dabblling in the occult. In fact, all we need to do to know what we need to know, is to read the Bible.
Chemistry came from Satanists dabbling with Alchemy. So did the other "sciences". Their all witchcraft and straight from the pit of Hell!

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »
Quote from: "Dawg"
Science is of the Devil. It originated from Satanists dabblling in the occult. In fact, all we need to do to know what we need to know, is to read the Bible.
Chemistry came from Satanists dabbling with Alchemy. So did the other "sciences". Their all witchcraft and straight from the pit of Hell!

Haha :D That's funny.  Yes, computers and the Internet are tools of the devil.

Seriously though.  What are your real views on the Bible?

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »
I say look at my signature; it says it all....
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
I do not disagree with the first quote above, but the one by Einstein is utterly false.  True religion (of which we perhaps have differing views) does not need science.  Traditional science can and should serve religion, but should not usurp it.  Traditionally, true sciences are but lowly servants of religion, and most disciplines are superior to science in their service to true religion, which everything should be subservient to.

The fact that sciences are so exalted these days is a sign of the times indicating that reversal of normality becomes the order of the day as time approaches the end of the age.  Yet, this disorder is fated to be so.  Most of history reveals the order I indicated in the paragraph above to be normal.  So these abnormal times will be of relatively short duration.

- Dionysios

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »
Quote from: "Dionysios"
Traditionally, true sciences are but lowly servants of religion, and most disciplines are superior to science in their service to true religion, which everything should be subservient to.

Why should everything be subservient to religion?

The fact that sciences are so exalted these days is a sign of the times indicating that reversal of normality becomes the order of the day as time approaches the end of the age.

Maybe they're just a sign that people find that science is more useful to them.

Most of history reveals the order I indicated in the paragraph above to be normal.

Yes, but most of the science referred to in your paragraph turned out to be wrong, so it hardly counts.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 06:13:28 PM »
By everything being subservient to religion, I mean that everything should be subservient to God, and reality should reflect this.

As to traditional science being wrong, that is merely a baseless assertion which I discount as negligible.  I believe you form such a judgment based more upon popular sentiment than actual facts.

As to that traditional science which is the subject of this thread, I would like to point out that I do concur with a number of perceptive infidels who correctly point out that the Bible's cosmology is a flat earth cosmology, and who discern the incosistent beliefs of most people who claim to be Christian.

- Dionysios

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 06:18:08 PM »
By everything being subservient to religion, I mean that everything should be subservient to God, and reality should reflect this.

Insofar as reality reflects subservience to God, science will be subservient to God.  If science discovers something else, it is irrational to assume the science must have been wrong.

In any case, I merely reask: why should everything be subservient to God?

As to traditional science being wrong, that is merely a baseless assertion which I discount as negligible.  I believe you form such a judgment based more upon popular sentiment than actual facts.

That's an interesting, if unjustified, belief.  Much traditional science has been overridden as instruments and methods have become more precise; it has nothing to do with sentiments to which I may or may not ascribe.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 06:30:49 PM »
I am not going to answer the question as to why everything should be subservient to God as I believe it should be self-evident.  If you do not recognise this already, then we have not the same basis.  

As to science being used as an instrument of religion, that does not disprove it.  That is what its whole purpose is susposed to be, but if you do not agree with the more basic premise above, then this would also be beyond you.

If you did agree that everything should be subservient to God, then we might be able to get somewhere.  Of course you are free to believe as you choose, but from my perspective it seems (I am not trying to be condescending to merely to share knowledge with those interested) I would have to assist in bringing one from negative UP to zero as it were if they did not initially already believe that everything should be subservient to God.

So much for pluralistic societies (where everyone believes different and are governed by the lowest common denominator - rather uncivilised and chaotic if you ask me).

- Dionysios

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »
from my perspective it seems (I am not trying to be condescending to merely to share knowledge with those interested) I would have to assist in bringing one from negative UP to zero as it were if they did not initially already believe that everything should be subservient to God.

Feel free to try.... personally I see the situation in quite the opposite manner.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »
We agree to disagree as to the rightful place of science.

I have a question.  You do agree that the Bible contains a flat earth cosmology?

Does mbczion (somewhat of a modern jew he seems to me) believe this is true with respect to the Torah, the Prophets, and the Writings?

- Dionysios

MaDeR

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 02:35:35 PM »
Quote from: "Maureen"
if you disregard the timescale, it's actually pretty accurate.

No, it isn't. It is completely wrong.

First came the stars (light),

Really? Then what it is?

1:16  And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

It was FOURTH day. Wonder from where came light when was no sun or moon, or stars at all. Nice, first day and we get already absurdites. And it is only beginning!

Second day: Modern science somewhere slipped mysterious "firmament". This thingie must be important, because God worked on this whole day. And where it is?

Next day, please...
then the Earth and oceans, then life developed in the ocean and eventually spread to land.

Without sun, moon and stars, remember. Especially for photosynthetic plants it was a fun place, wasn't? Not to mention flowering plants without any insects (they're appear in sixth day).

We take care of fourth day already.

Fifth day have interesting thing: fowls. And birds. And whales. Before mammals or "creeping things" (insects), Direct contradiction with evolution theory.

Eh, already sixth day?
Humans came about sometime after that.  

With dinosaurs and insects and lions eating grass, of course.

Summary? Order of creation cannot be more wrong, Almost all is upside down, not to mention other scientifically wrong things.

Conslusion? This book presents knowledge about world as percieved by people and authors living then. Treating this book as a source of scientifically good and correct knowledge about material reality is hilarious and ludicrous.
ne side: hundreds years, hundred thousand sciencist looking for way to know Reality.
Second side: bunch of fudamentalist freaks waving their Holy Books.
Choose.

?

britishgent

• Eli, Eli Lama Sabachthani?
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 04:24:48 PM »
whales are mammals also some plants dont photosynthesise also the simplified story is aimed at early primitive man cut Him some slack
Global warming: Liberal hoax
The earth is not getting warmer after all; the effect is really just the prevalence of air conditioning. It just seems warmer when we go outside.

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »
I believe in a more distant God than the bible would put forwards, a sort of a "gardener". Every now and again He does something to set people back on track. He set the universe in motion, and he "wrote" the laws of physics, hence the fact that we can't prove His existence. It's more a question of faith, maybe like a test, I'm not sure. That's how I reconcile my belief in a higher power with my faith in science. If science contradicts the bible, then I believe science, because the bible was written by men, who are fallible and often have their own agendas and reasons to lie.

MaDeR

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 04:45:53 AM »
Quote from: "britishgent"
whales are mammals

Still before dinosaurs and insects.

also some plants dont photosynthesise

This is news! Some links, sources??

also the simplified story is aimed at early primitive man

I can make more scientifically accurate story, while still comprehensible for "primitive man".

cut Him some slack

Slack? For omnipotent being? Surely this was joke.
ne side: hundreds years, hundred thousand sciencist looking for way to know Reality.
Second side: bunch of fudamentalist freaks waving their Holy Books.
Choose.

beast

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 07:52:57 AM »
Quote from: "MaDeR"

Treating this book as a source of scientifically good and correct knowledge about material reality is hilarious and ludicrous.

This is a fact.  I didn't believe in intrinsic truth until I read that.

Also today I got the book of Mormon for free!  Score.  The book of Mormon is even funnier than the bible - although there is a sad lack of children getting their father drunk and then fucking him to carry on the line of man :(