The origins of a flat earth...

• 63 Replies
?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
Re: The origins of a flat earth...
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »
We do agree about refining your theory. However, the thing is that most FE'ers don't really advance a coherent theory, like I said, they create an amalgam of theories to fit each attack, but that contradict each other... Some people believe in gravitation, others don't, some believe in rotation of a flat Earth, some don't, etc. It's hard to attack a theory which doesn't really exist... I'm probably going to get the response that gravity exists to that thread, and when I point out the discrepancy in gravity, I'll get no answer...that's what happened last time I brought it up. Oh, right, actually I got Tom Bishop saying "because it does"...does that count?

Nothing that Tom says counts. 

But keep in mind one thing: you've mentioned that RET is trying to merge two properties of physics to answer more questions, even though they bleieve both properties to be correct.  The Earth having gravity and simultaneously not having gravity might not make sense, but it needs refinery, and merging of those theories is a large part of refinery. 
NOTICE:
I believe the Earth is round, and anything I say that suggests the contrary is stated for the spirit of debate.

Also, Viscount Dead Kangaroo > You.

?

fshy94

• ^^^ This is the Earth ...die alien invaders!!
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
That's not quite the problem. The problem is that relativity says that gravity is caused by warped spacetime, and quantum theory predicts that gravity is due to virtual graviton exchange(a.k.a. really f'ing complicated process, in which the laws of conservation of mass/energy can be suspended temporarily for a fraction of a nanosecond), and both are remarkably accurate in their fields. And they don't play well together, when their realms coincide(relativity is used for near light speed travel/or near massive objects; quantum for the really really small level) in a near light speed, microscopic environment. We don't know what happens then, and we must to know things properly. So yeah, just felt like clarifying that baffling concept, even though it contradicts nothing you said. Again, I encourage you to refine that theory, as all theories are part of the scientific process, right or wrong. What I oppose vehemently is Tom Bishop's style of pseudoscience, which is basically summed in 4 core components:

1. Have no real theory, it helps when dealing with attacks if you can change your theory to fit the attack

2. Attack the mainstream theory whenever possible, regardless of the rationale behind such an attack, or whether your theory has an explanation for the problem

3. If a criticism is discovered against your theory, either ignore it, attempt component 4, or state that it isn't so VERY LOUDLY...

4. If someone asks for clarification, make things confusing by adding in weird terms and symbols you just made up so that the person asking feels dumb, and hopefully accepts your explanation.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 07:25:43 PM by fshy94 »
Proof the Earth is round!
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=19341.0

Quote from: Althalus
The conspiracy has made it impossible to adequately explain FE theory in English.
^^LOL!

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
@ Most of first paragraph: I know what you mean.  I was just trying to summarize as to not cause the implosion of my own brain through trying to explain in detail.

As for Tom Bishop... well, in my own opinion, Tom Bishop doesn't count.  Ever. 
NOTICE:
I believe the Earth is round, and anything I say that suggests the contrary is stated for the spirit of debate.

Also, Viscount Dead Kangaroo > You.

?

fshy94

• ^^^ This is the Earth ...die alien invaders!!
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:25 PM »
Just felt like clarifying for the benefit of lurkers in the first paragraph. On the rest, sorry for venting at you, I know you've done nothing :D Look at my sig for an example of some of the things I've heard from his brethren...:D
Proof the Earth is round!
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=19341.0

Quote from: Althalus
The conspiracy has made it impossible to adequately explain FE theory in English.
^^LOL!