If the earth is flat...

• 39 Replies

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
Re: If the earth is flat...
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »
Yes, however, I requested the picture.

Regarding the picture, could that not just be a picture taken of a side of Antarctica? And I thought, according to FE theory, there would be soldiers there or government agents or something protecting the great Ice Wall's border.

Regardless, it is a nice picture, in my opinion.

Please don't let Tom's own theory affect the discussion. It will only muddy matters and issues.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »
do you not even understand your own religion?  you can walk any direction in a straight line and get there.  (if relying on a compass though, just don't pick exactly due magnetic east or west.)
If you are relying on a compass, you have to go south in order to reach it.

as long as the compass consistently reads more south than due east or west, you'll get there.

my first sentence (which you don't seem to have a problem with) was based on not using a compass.  then, just pick a direction and stick to it.

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »
http://i23.tinypic.com/nwkp5t.jpg

Along the edge of our local area exists this massive 150 foot Ice Wall. The 150 foot Ice Wall is on the coast of Antarctica. It is widely known and widely studied. The Ice Wall is a series of shelves which surrounds the Antarctic rim. The shelf of ice is several hundred meters thick. This nearly vertical ice front to the open sea is more than 50 meters high above the water's surface. ...

bishop, i told you i won't be letting you get away with your copy/paste bullshit antics.  i am watching you.  you have been repeatedly owned on this, and i will keep reminding you.  enjoy:

This is the 150 foot Ice Wall which borders the edge of the known world: http://i23.tinypic.com/nwkp5t.jpg

congratulations, you found a picture of the ross ice shelf, taken in november 2000, which you pilfered from The National Science Foundation.

and clearly you know this, because you have obfuscated the url via tinyurl.  interestingly enough, as recently as june 26 of this year, you used a url which, with minimal investigation, could have revealed your fraud.  that's because the directory that image sat in was a mirror for the whole nsf high-res photo collection, showing your claim to be a fraud.  further proof that you are a filthy liar and a fraud.

The series of Ice Shelves which surround the Antarctic coast is what we call the Ice Wall. Haven't you figured that out by now?

for starters, there is not an unbroken series of ice shelves around antarctica. 

second is your disingenuous way of presenting a pedestrian photo, e.g.:

and i love this one:[/b]

If you flew a plane over the 150 foot wall of ice at the coast of Antarctica (Also known as the Ice Shelves) you would fly over a perpetual tundra of ice and snow. How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction "human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice," extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness.

so then, what is this, from the very same series of pictures as your beloved "ice wall at the edge of the known world"?

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »
http://www.coolantarctica.com/

Boy, the government should really shut this site down... encouragement of tourism to Antarctica is bound to expose the lie...

edit: In addition

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/antarctica%20fact%20file%20index.htm

I think the ice shelves mentioned on this page are the infamous "Ice Wall".
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:25:59 PM by cwolfe »

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 02:20:36 PM »
Bishop, I don't think you are a stupid person.

What is your and others' motives? Is it money?
"Try painting a picture with just a single shade of white (on white canvas). How interesting can you make it?"

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 02:55:50 PM »
i've pointed this out before, but tom bishop keeps repeating the exact same lie:

In Ross's book, be tells how he circumnavigated antarctica and several other continents for a total voyage of 60,000 miles! that included side trips to tasmania and the faulkland islands!
Ross NEVER said antarctica was 60,000 miles all by itself! that's an obvious lie!

http://www.south-pole.com/p0000081.htm

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
Yes, Bthimes. The Ice Wall is the series of Ice Shelves at the coast of Antarctica. I believe I was quite clear on that.

And yes, there are mountains which divide the Ice Wall sections, just as my previous post described.

Bloedow, that's exactly what I said. Ross reported a total voyage of over 60,000 miles after his Antarctic polar expedition.

From page 348 of his final volume of South Sea Voyages we read:

"At noon we were in Lat 49° 20' S. and Long 37° 24' E. A light breeze originated from the north-west. Having been done with our mission we made all sail for the Cape of Goodhope."

"In the final narrative of our four year voyage of the Antarctic seas, I must only further observe, that, amongst the many events which has occurred to call fourth our gratitude to God for his guidance during the arduous and hazardous operations in which we have been engaged over the last 62,400 miles. It was most unfortunate that we had lost several of our crew members to sickness and drowning. Their memories will live on in our hearts and minds, as a bastion to the relentless aspirations of man and his never ending avidity for the exploration of new frontiers."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 04:22:34 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »
so why bother talking about it?  if you readily admit you can climb up and over it, walk beyond it, fly beyond it...then is it *really* "the end of the known world" as you have repeatedly claimed (verbatim)?  no, it isn't.  it's just a fucking ice shelf.  get over it.  and quit calling it "the end of the known world".

...Some Flat Earth proponents believe that there is another larger ice wall at an unknown distance beyond the Antarctic coast which has never been discovered by man. This hypothetical wall is tens of thousands of feet high and contains the atmosphere. Beyond this wall exists space...

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 07:09:56 PM »
amazing. tom bishop really believes that repeating his lie will make it true!

i'll say it again: Ross made multiple trips to AND from antarctica, over the course of 4 or 5 years, which ADDED UP to a total of 60,000 miles, including the initial leg from Great Brittan!

how many thousands of miles is it from Great Brittan to Antactica?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:36:29 AM by eric bloedow »

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 06:34:59 PM »
Also, I would hardly call a single ice shelf evidence of an all-encircling ice wall around the entire world.

Here's a quote following Tom Bishop's
" 'It would be impossible to conceive a more solid-looking mass of ice; not the smallest appearance of any rent or fissure could we discover throughout its whole extent, and the intensely bright sky beyond it but too plainly indicated the great distance to which it reached to the southward.' Two weeks and 250 miles later they had still not reached its end - although at one point it sank to a height of 50 feet, allowing Ross a glimpse from his mast of 'an immense plain of frosted silver' - and with the austral summer coming to an end they dared not risk being trapped. On 9 February they turned for Tasmania."

Therefore, obviously, the entire Earth is surrounded by a 150 foot ice wall.
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.