Calling all new members: how can we improve the FAQ?

• 18 Replies
?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:28:27 AM »
Right recently there's been a HUGE influx of new members asking questions. This is understandable as it's the first thing everyone does when they arrive here.

We created the FAQ to save us having to answer tons of these threads but it seems some of you don't understand parts of the FAQ.

So, I ask you: Which parts of the FAQ are unclear and need to be improved?

Also, the FAQ was never meant to refute RE arguments, it was just meant to prevent mass strawman farming. However I think we will need a list of commonly refuted points to keep the same ones coming up (particularly an explanation as to why the Earth doesn't approach the speed of light)[/b]

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:01:09 AM »
The FAQ doesn't address the issue of the horizon being curved.

Also, it doesn't address the shuttle landing strips, which are so long that they are curved. If using a laser site, they are not perfectly level from one end to the other, there is an obvious curve (like a hill). But using a level (either bubble in liquid, or the hanging weight) it is actually flat on all points.

Also, couldnt some use a high-power telescope to look straight across the earth from one of the mountain top observatories, such as the one in Hawaii?

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:01:46 AM »
Some legitimate science, less tinfoil and less conspiracy theories would help

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »
Heh, I think all these new members you're seeing are just a result of this site getting FARK'ed... That's where mine came from. And I highly doubt that you're going to find many recruits from FARK. It's not exactly this site's target audience. Or maybe it's exactly the target audience. I'm not quite sure at this point.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 01:13:08 PM »
Quote from: "ItsRound"
Heh, I think all these new members you're seeing are just a result of this site getting FARK'ed... That's where mine came from. And I highly doubt that you're going to find many recruits from FARK. It's not exactly this site's target audience. Or maybe it's exactly the target audience. I'm not quite sure at this point.

I'm in at least for a little while.  Great thought exercise, and I need to bust my mind out of the box for a while.  Not to mention it's fun to play devil's advocate and understand what I believe a bit better...plus, I might come up with some somewhat sound theories to explain why the earth is flat...one is coming on the shuttle runway, just have a few details...

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »
Quote from: "vert032"
I'm in at least for a little while.  Great thought exercise, and I need to bust my mind out of the box for a while.  Not to mention it's fun to play devil's advocate and understand what I believe a bit better...plus, I might come up with some somewhat sound theories to explain why the earth is flat...one is coming on the shuttle runway, just have a few details...

That's the right attitude to have here, in fact it's the attitiude I have as well :)

?

DJ_Monkey_Pilot

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
What about why you can see further from high up places, I thought in flat earth theory the 'horizon' happened because the atmosphere has a fogging effect.

I think I will try arguing the FE side of things after this, it looks fun.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »
ah found the source of the spam.

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2041197

nice to know were in the asanine category :wink:

and look at this cute diagram someone posted:

i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

MagnuM 1313

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 04:13:26 PM »
One way that you could improve the FAQ's is to delete the entire site and let it implode upon itself.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »
wow. youre not putting any thought into this whatsoever.
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 04:19:38 PM »
As my first post in another thread said, I particularly have a problem with the section of the FAQ that attempts to explain traveling east or west and arriving back at your starting point.

The generally accepted FE'er theory seems to be that magnetic north is the pole in the middle of a planar disc. Thus, if you start at point on the disc other than dead center, and travel constantly in one direction east (right) or west (left), you draw a circle around the center point and end up back where you started.

OK. That's fine, and perfectly reasonable. It's also completely irrelevent at best, and an exercise in deception at worst. The point you NEED to be addressing in the FAQ is that if you start at a given point and travel south, AWAY from the center point of the disc, you should hit the edge of the disc (The "Ice Wall" or whatever you believe is at the edge) - Which is not quite what happens according to anybody who has been to the south pole. You know, the "members of the vast conspiracy."

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 04:20:41 PM »
@3ND change your goddamn avatar
[/i]
-Erasmus

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 04:47:16 PM »
FE assumes that the Earth does not generate a gravitational field.

Give us some sort of proof that makes your assumptions arguably valid other than coughing up half-assed remarks like 'government conspiracy', 'dark energy', and 'there is no gravity'.

You say that FE is right and RE is wrong, yet you've any evidence to support your statements.

?

Who Cares?

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 04:51:25 PM »
You need more information about the robots. Less information about the earth and all this flatness hodge podge.. People want to hear about robots.

?

penguinlover

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 08:37:41 PM »
Q: "Why has no-one taken a photo of the Earth that proves it is flat?"
A: The government prevents people from getting close enough to the Ice Wall to take a picture.

How the government prevents this? Do they have some sort of bases around the flat earth and shoot you if you get close or something?

Is the Ice Wall breakable? If it is...what happens if it breaks? If it doesn't break...why would government stop you before you can get to Ice Wall?

Do you FE'ers think they are hiding something behind it? or government is protecting you from something behind it? If they are hiding something or protecting you from something...what do you think it is?

Have any of you try to go to the Ice Wall? If so, did anyone come back alive with some sort of proof? It doesn't have to be picture...something else, it doesn't matter what, if the government is preventing you from taking pictures.

I took some time to read the FAQ through, read as many threads as I can read and I tried to understand what you believe in.

I'd appreciate it if you could answer these, then add them on FAQ. I think it would improve FAQ!

?

Markster106

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 08:47:09 PM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
ah found the source of the spam.

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2041197

nice to know were in the asanine category :wink:

and look at this cute diagram someone posted:

actually its coming from here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=433097

thats where my home is

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 09:45:38 PM »
The FAQ doesn't adrees the issue that this is a horrible theory with no real logic behind that has been known to be wrong for hundreds of years
size=18] I'm Hungry[/size]

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 09:59:44 PM »
I just realized, that without a hige spinning metallic core, and a douth pole, there cannot be a magnetic field.  Sure, without Sol we have no worries from solar wind, but what about compasses and all other magnetic objects on Earth?  Magnetism was discovered quite a while ago, well before civilizaiton advanced enough for some conspiracy to build a machine making an artificial magnetic field

?

penguinlover

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 12:02:20 AM »
Quote from: "ASSGOBLIN"
mb we shopuld make FAQ for them and let them answer it w/ logical explanation other than "FE is right. you are wrong. god hates you. die homosxuals."

That sounds like a good idea

Oh and I wonder when they are going to update the FAQ? I'd love to hear the answers for the questions I submitted while ago...