bishop: what if you saw islands disappear?

• 39 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: bishop: what if you saw islands disappear?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »
I'm open to reasonable suggestions as far as that goes. 

Here are a list of tests you can conduct while in Antarctica:

1.) Walk off the edge of a three foot high dropoff and study the surface of the earth carefully as you go into freefall. Does the earth accelerate up to you?

2.) Bring along a compass. If your hotel is within the Antarctic circle then the compass needle should spin wildly due to the vertical magnetic field lines in the entire Antarctic circle. Next consider how it is possible for explorers to successfully make a straight, non-parabolic, transcontinental journey across Antarctica without the use of a compass.

3.) Look Southward  for as far as the eye can see. If the lands seem perpetual then they probably are.

4.) As you approach the coast look out your aircraft's window at the coast of Antarctica and try to make out the 150 foot tall Ice Wall which surrounds the lands as a vertical shelf of ice.

5.) Ask around and find out if the researchers stationed on Antarctica are government-funded. Also ask if there is a military presence on Antarctica.

6.) Take a photograph of the sun on your trip. According to FE Theory the sun in Antarctica should appear as a starry glare, light reflected and bounced off of the ice crystals inherent in the upper polar strata as the sun is in its southern annulus. The sun appears as a starry glare in the sky unique to each observer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:46:50 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 12:40:34 PM »
so this is a direct challenge to all (three?) fe'ers.  get yourself to the sf bay area on a clear day--or anywhere that you can see over open ocean or large lake from between sea[/lake] level and, say, close to 1,000 ft higher for comparison, with a view to something around 300 feet or more, that is more than 20 miles out.  (for example the CN tower.)  take big, expensive binoculars, telescope, and/or alot of camera lens.  maybe your beliefs will be challenged by this earth-altering revelation (which is an impressive demonstration even for re'ers), maybe they won't.  maybe you'll explain it all away.  (after you see it.  unfortunately we already know what you think before.)

I've already done a similar experiment. The results suggested a Flat Earth. I feel no need to do the experiment again, or prove my results for you. You've already decided that I am a liar. Why would I want to waste my time procuring a telescope camera adapter just so my results can be tossed aside?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:45:36 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »
I would think that I was observing the sinking ship effect, which proves a Flat Earth.

See: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=17427.msg301580#msg301580

The sinking ship effect does not prove a flat earth.  It may be explainable in terms of some FE model, but it does not prove FE, anymore than circumnavigation proves RE.

Sure it does. Here the author demonstrates mathematically that under the RE hypothesis the ship's hull should be 36 feet below the horizon line. However, when a sufficiently powered scope is applied to the eye the sinking ship effect is reversed the the ship's hull is entirely visible.

Therefore, we have on good authority that the earth is not a globe.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:46:05 PM by Tom Bishop »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »
Nope.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »
I'm open to reasonable suggestions as far as that goes. 

Here are a list of tests you can conduct while in Antarctica:

1.) Walk off the edge of a three foot high dropoff and study the surface of the earth carefully as you go into freefall. Does the earth accelerate up to you?

2.) Bring along a compass. If your hotel is within the Antarctic circle then the compass needle should spin wildly due to the vertical magnetic field lines in the entire Antarctic circle. Next consider how it is possible for explorers to successfully make a straight, non-parabolic, transcontinental journey across Antarctica without the use of a compass.

3.) Look Southward  for as far as the eye can see. If the lands seem perpetual then they probably are.

4.) As you approach the coast look out your aircraft's window at the coast of Antarctica and try to make out the 150 foot tall Ice Wall which surrounds the lands as a vertical shelf of ice.

5.) Ask around and find out if the researchers stationed on Antarctica are government-funded. Also ask if there is a military presence on Antarctica.

6.) Take a photograph of the sun on your trip. According to FE Theory the sun in Antarctica should appear as a starry glare, light reflected and bounced off of the ice crystals inherent in the upper polar strata as the sun is in its southern annulus. The sun appears as a starry glare in the sky unique to each observer.

yes some good questions to ask indeed.

although i'm not sure what #1 or #3 (except for second randomly asserted part), the first part of #5 would prove.

as for #4, i see that you are now trying to pass of ice shelves with broken vertical edges of varying thicknesses as the proverbial "ice wall" that holds in the inhabitable earth and atmosphere.  (based on your beloved photographic evidence linked to earlier, no doubt.)  inventive, at least.  so ok, let's play that game.  username, just be sure to verify that it is of uniform thickness and continuous.

(btw bishop, username didn't state whether or not he would be flying over antarctica, but if you read his post, it definitely did not suggest that he would be.)

?

Tom Dipshit

• Flat Earth Opponent
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
I would think that I was observing the sinking ship effect, which proves a Flat Earth.

See: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=17427.msg301580#msg301580

The sinking ship effect does not prove a flat earth.  It may be explainable in terms of some FE model, but it does not prove FE, anymore than circumnavigation proves RE.
Congratulations, that was your 666th post
Tom Bishop: "The earth cuts the universe in half."

Narcberry (smarticus): "Oceans are free from gravity."

Z' Lord of Purple: "yes, superfast jet streams for the win!!!"

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 01:04:27 PM »
i just noticed: the author of book Tom quoted completely failed to mention if the telescope was just above sea level, or 10 feet above, or 100 feet above, etc, thus completely missing the point!

so he was able to see a boat that someone else SAID was 200 miles away...rumor, not fact!

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »
so this is a direct challenge to all (three?) fe'ers.  get yourself to the sf bay area on a clear day--or anywhere that you can see over open ocean or large lake from between sea[/lake] level and, say, close to 1,000 ft higher for comparison, with a view to something around 300 feet or more, that is more than 20 miles out.  (for example the CN tower.)  take big, expensive binoculars, telescope, and/or alot of camera lens.  maybe your beliefs will be challenged by this earth-altering revelation (which is an impressive demonstration even for re'ers), maybe they won't.  maybe you'll explain it all away.  (after you see it.  unfortunately we already know what you think before.)

I've already done a similar experiment. The results suggested a Flat Earth. I feel no need to do the experiment again, or prove my results for you. You've already decided that I am a liar. Why would I want to waste my time procuring a telescope camera adapter just so my results can be tossed aside?

I've seen many RE'ers come with ideas, pictures, and hard work they have thought about which they basically made just for the results to be tossed aside...

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 01:08:34 PM »
i just noticed: the author of book Tom quoted completely failed to mention if the telescope was just above sea level, or 10 feet above, or 100 feet above, etc, thus completely missing the point!

so he was able to see a boat that someone else SAID was 200 miles away...rumor, not fact!

200 miles? so at what point does the atmospheric distortion stop you from seeing any further?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 01:44:53 PM »
hehe, ah bless I love these threads, really I do