Other planets

• 39 Replies

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Other planets
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 09:27:52 AM »
you're forgetting the light-bending properties of Dark matter/energy. The Flat Mars Society has more detail

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
oh yes, i forgot: Dark Energy is exactly like gravity and totally different from gravity at the same time! it effects earth in a totally different fashion than every other object in the universe!

so just how would a sideways "push" on light make a flat object appear round? let's see you produce a diagram!

flat mars society? another group dedicated to denying the evidence of their own eyes? forget it.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 10:03:35 AM »
Dark Energy is nothing like 'gravity'.  Ever.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
oh yes, i forgot: Dark Energy is exactly like gravity and totally different from gravity at the same time! it effects earth in a totally different fashion than every other object in the universe!

so just how would a sideways "push" on light make a flat object appear round? let's see you produce a diagram!

flat mars society? another group dedicated to denying the evidence of their own eyes? forget it.

the flat mars society is a spoof of the flat earth society, i think.  and it's incredibly slow as if hosted in someone's living room over cablemodem.

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »
Dark Energy is nothing like 'gravity'.  Ever.

correct, but i think eric was being facetious.  dark energy and dark matter are both placeholder hypothesis for potential future theories, invoked as temporary explanations for extremely subtle observational evidence pushing the limits of current observational technology.  the scientists doing the work understand the tenuousness of these hypothesis very well.  it's the mainstream media (even layperson "science" media such as discover magazine) that treats them as ground-breaking truths of existence that will forever change our perception of reality.  (i know that last sentence will appeal to you, theengineer.)

at the risk of pointing out the obvious, dark matter and dark energy are not currently hypothesized to directly affect our lives on earth, or to be anything remotely observable with technology available to common people - or to well-funded scientists for most of the previous century.  this is very much unlike more direct, tangible, and globally observable fe phenomenon as the "eclipse disc" or whatever it's called, moon phases, illusory sunsets, etc. 

i only point this out - and this is more of a global assertion since your post wasn't really a debatable point - because i've heard so many times, fe'ers say, "oh yeah, well so what that we can't explain eclipses, or monthly moon phases, or the sun not getting smaller as it receeds, or how it's powered, or (x).  you guys can't even explain dark energy!"

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »
(i know that last sentence will appeal to you, theengineer.)
Why?  Should it have?

or to be anything remotely observable with technology available to common people - or to well-funded scientists for most of the previous century.
Or even currently.

i only point this out - and this is more of a global assertion since your post wasn't really a debatable point -
It was not meant to be one.  It was an informative post.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »

the flat mars society is a spoof of the flat earth society, i think.  and it's incredibly slow as if hosted in someone's living room over cablemodem.

Pretty much, it's always good to grab a few suckers by the balls now and then. a sucker like eric bloedow. And it's just a free forum, so I don't expect great things! :)

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 11:45:31 AM »
(i know that last sentence will appeal to you, theengineer.)
Why?  Should it have?

i believe you have expressed similar sentiments before about mainstream science reporting.  am i thinking of someone else?

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »
Yeah, because they think it has an insane CO2 content. Which heats it up. But would be no good for us to live on.

huh!?  europa has insane amounts of co2 and that's why there is liquid water?  if that's what you are saying, man i'd like to know what school system you went to.

liquid water is theorized to exist on europa due to tidal forces from jupiter, and radioactivity.  it is not massive enough to harbor a significant atmosphere.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »
and pressure, can't forget pressure. without it, ice just sublimates