Flat Earth Maps - How much for granted?

• 15 Replies

Optimus Prime

• Autobot Leader: Keeper of the Matrix of Leadership
Flat Earth Maps - How much for granted?
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »
First off, this is not your regular regurgitated "wheres the flat earth map?" post.

Second, I've poured through a lot of this forum, and have found many posts along the above lines, and many statements inferring that a lot of old / ancient maps record the earth in a certain way that does not conform to the modern model and therefore the earth must be flat.

Ok, so I have a question. If we are to take some of those old maps for granted, shall we take the sea-monsters and other strange dangers for granted as well? Do they also exist in the FE model?

This is not trying to be an ass, this is a serious question. Simply yes or no is fine, but I'd be curious to hear any ideas on the subject also. I've my own ideas about them that I'll share after some others do.

Thanks!
O.P.
Dyslexics are teople poo!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Flat Earth Maps - How much for granted?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »
Loch Ness.

/thread

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Optimus Prime

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »
Well that's a good point, but I'm referring more to the 'edge of the map' monsters / dangers you see on the old maritime maps.
The ones that are literally at the 'edge of the earth' so to speak.

Gabe

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »
This is the first I've heard of ancient maps conforming to FE distances. Could you provide a link to one of these maps?
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »
First time I've heard of it too.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
I never said any of the old maps conformed to FE distances. Please re-read my post carefully.

The only thing that might be close is that I stated some posts related that some ancient maps did not correlate with the modern model of the earth. That is to say... because they don't match up perfectly, therefore they can't be of our globe model. Their argument, not  mine.

In all actuality there are a few ancient maps (actually only 2 I think that are documented) that actually show Antarctica as a land mass continent and not an ice shelf of sorts.

Coming back to the point that my main question is that if we are to take things we see for granted (i.e. flat ground = flat earth), what about the old maps with sea monsters and whirlpools, etc.?

Gabe

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »
Sorry for dragging it off-topic again:

How is lack of conformity for ancient maps and RE evidence of FE? Basic charting methods were reasonably accurate but not nearly as precise as satellites or planes got for RE. Any links would be good.  :P
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

?

Iskaros

• Flat Earth Cover up
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
The question remain; will there ever be a univerally accepted FE map?
"Always take an oblique approach" General Flavius Belisarius

I'm a teenager big whoop teenagers can be smart (every once in a million years)

Optimus Prime

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »
It's not. That's the point. I think people are missing the message here.

I was thinking there could be a bit of fun in the fact that there are actually giant squid, bigger than we've caught on tape as evidenced by the scars on sperm whales.

Other oddities that have been seen at sea, and pre-historic fishes and creatures long though extinct that keep coming up here and there. Most recently the Coelacanth, last seen in 1938, previously thought to have been extinct for over 65 million years. Megamouth shark might have been a good example of a 'scary monster', but did not necessarily mean it was a legendary monster of the sea. Nor would a giant squid. Even if a very large one could capsize a smaller vessel, it wouldn't be supernatural or defy the laws of physics just because we see it that way.

I have looked through all the various evidence for a FE, and aside from the UA being a good example of an exchangeable alternative for out standard given of gravitation... I find no evidence to support a FE unilaterally. None of the arguments regarding GPS, other radio types, EME, amongst the plethora of other arguments - just don't stack up.

Can either side of the argument be proven? Sure it can... but unfortunately all arguments are biased no matter how open minded one claims to be. I try to be open minded, but after a few weeks of reading things I just can't shake my old knowledge and pre-conceptions of a round earth long enough to give some of these seemingly half-baked theories a change (not I said seemingly.. whether they are or aren't)

Thanks... it was a shot at a fun debate, but alas - it didn't work out.

O.P.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:06:05 PM »
Those sea monsters were just stories invented by the conspiracy to explain why the sailors who sailed near the ice wall disappeared. I mean they couldnt explain the presence of a vast radar network and armed guards, especially hundreds of years ago!

In case you didnt figure it out I was being sarcastic
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »
The question remain; will there ever be a univerally accepted FE?

fixed.
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »

Note the size of the antarctic and southern hemidisk.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 12:20:51 PM »
How can you tell what's what? 

I didn't see clear labeling of the continents but the pictures of mules, oxen, and people with turbans make me think this is India or something. ???
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »
seems to be south Africa and south America
Quote from: jack
I'm special.

Optimus Prime

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 07:28:51 PM »
Actually, this is a pretty cool map. Here is the low-down:

The Piri Reis map shows the western coast of Africa, the eastern coast of South America, and the northern coast of Antarctica. The northern coastline of Antarctica is perfectly detailed.

The most puzzling however is not so much how Piri Reis managed to draw such an accurate map of the Antarctic region 300 years before it was discovered, but that the map shows the coastline under the ice. Geological evidence confirms that the latest date Queen Maud Land could have been charted in an ice-free state is 4000 BC.

On 6th July 1960 the U. S. Air Force responded to Prof. Charles H. Hapgood of Keene College, specifically to his request for an evaluation of the ancient Piri Reis Map:

6, July, 1960
    Subject: Admiral Piri Reis Map
    TO: Prof. Charles H. Hapgood
    Keene College
    Keene, New Hampshire

Dear Professor Hapgood,
    Your request of evaluation of certain unusual features of the Piri Reis map of 1513 by this organization has been reviewed.

The claim that the lower part of the map portrays the Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land, Antarctic, and the Palmer Peninsular, is reasonable. We find that this is the most logical and in all probability the correct interpretation of the map.

The geographical detail shown in the lower part of the map agrees very remarkably with the results of the seismic profile made across the top of the ice-cap by the Swedish-British Antarctic Expedition of 1949.

This indicates the coastline had been mapped before it was covered by the ice-cap.
    The ice-cap in this region is now about a mile thick.

We have no idea how the data on this map can be reconciled with the supposed state of geographical knowledge in 1513.

Harold Z. Ohlmeyer Lt. Colonel, USAF Commander

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:34:10 AM »
There is a lot of scholarly argument on what the coast actually represents. 

However, I agree.  Very cool.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.