Experimental Evidence

• 6 Replies
Experimental Evidence
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:05:23 PM »
This is 100% inspired by Tom Bishop.

While I believe the earth to be round, I have noticed that RE'ers are simply wrong most of the time. False evidence, hasty assumptions, appealing to the popular opinion, and generally just being stupid. Why are so many of us RE'ers content to be ignorant of our own errors?

The point: what experiments out there are conclusive in one way or another?
Remember, many experiments have absolute conclusions that we assume imply a round earth, yet can be explained by the flat earth model as well. Avoid these. Isolate your variables, what experiments are really out there?

The only ones I can find 1) have never been done so they are moot and 2) rely on a dichotomy of either RE or FE, other options or modified models are not included, which isn't very scientific. Both models will be modified by time, if a test doesn't hold in the future, it shouldn't hold in the now.
I turned my signatures off because they make threads hard to read. I can't even see this when I post, please tell me what I said here.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
Re: Experimental Evidence
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »
N/A.

~D-Draw

Gabe

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
I don't think that's an invitation for debate as much as a point he's making.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »
Well to be honest, I am trying to disprove the experiments I posted in a thread just a bit earlier. Not that they don't work, but that they would somehow NOT prove a round earth.

Since we can (or should anyway. There are many different references, pick which ones you trust) agree on the actual measurable distances between cities and towns in countries and accross oceans to other cities whichever you prefer... then it doesn't work out on an FE model.

Above the Equator, the closer you get to the North pole, things start getting squished, and South of it, they get spread out. It doeasn't matter how big or small  you make the FE... no matter how you twist or move the continents around... if you force one city to line up with another from one continent to the other, then all of your other measurements are off. These are very simple and easy to perform experiments. And there are no optical illusions or anything to interfere.

What do you guys think? Seriously... If there is a way to throw these out, I'm interested in it.

My 2 cents..

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »
It's really not that difficult to impose those onto an FE model. If all continents were right next to each other, it would be different. To be truthful, though, the FE response would simply be that the current maps we have are incorrect, and that continents look different than we believe they do at the moment. The only thing left to explain would be the distance between the continents differing. As for that, I'd say, we really just don't know the distances exactly. I mean, it's just a huge expanse of blue. How easy would it be to measure that?

~D-Draw

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »
here are some experiments, referred to in other threads:

1) focault pedulum
2) ship going over horizon
3) simply observing the horizon from high altitude
4) flying or sailing around antarctica and measuring the time+distance

these are simple experiments THOUSANDS of people have done, and ALL the results have been pro-RE and anti-FE.

FErs try to explain them away with pseudo-science like "aether bending light rays" or "conspiracy", overlooking the even BIGGER flaws in THOSE arguments!

but like a character in the novel "bug park", they will never even admit the POSSIBILITY that they are fallible!

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:14:48 PM »
It's really not that difficult to impose those onto an FE model. If all continents were right next to each other, it would be different. To be truthful, though, the FE response would simply be that the current maps we have are incorrect, and that continents look different than we believe they do at the moment. The only thing left to explain would be the distance between the continents differing. As for that, I'd say, we really just don't know the distances exactly. I mean, it's just a huge expanse of blue. How easy would it be to measure that?

~D-Draw

Thanks D, I appreciate your candour. The only problem I have getting past that is we do know the distances between the places we travel. Especially main ports of call that are travelled to regularly both by air and sea. Even let's say give 50 miles for a variance for whatever reason, the continents would still not work out - especially at the edges where you can get the most consistent measurements from any source because of both air and sea travel. And yes, I do agree if the continents were squished all together kind of like one big Pangea, it would be easier to extrapolate a way to line things up, however you would have a more difficult time on land based distances, especially the further you get from the equator. Like I said... the string droops no matter what you do.  ???

I'm still thinking on it.
Thanks,
John