New Revised Flat Earth FAQ!

• 43 Replies

Trekky0623

• Official Member
New Revised Flat Earth FAQ!
« on: November 10, 2007, 04:25:54 PM »
Introduction:
Hello there!

Due to the increase in people referred to as "noobs" and "trolls", I've decided to create this FAQ so that we can avoid threads that have been posted before, and also to avoid stupid threads, such as "OMG, look @ da horizon!!!"  ::)

NOTE: I am a Round Earther, I'm just trying to inform noobs that this theory is not ridiculous.

FLAT EARTH FAQ

Part I: General

Q: OMG, do you guys actually believe the Earth is flat?

A: Very few do.  Most of us on this site debate.  You may debate if you wish but keep in mind that insults such as "You guys are idiots" are mostly directed at the Round Earthers since they make up the majority of this site.

Q: How did this site get started?

A: A person named Daniel stated this site as a place for serious discussion of the Flat Earth Theory.  However, he hardly ever shows up anymore.

Q: Is there really a Flat Earth Society?

A: Not really.  There used to be, but it fell apart a while ago.

Q: Who is Samuel Rowbotham?

A: Mr. Rowbotham wrote a book Entitled Earth Not A Globe and started the Flat Earth Society.  However, in March 2001, the last president of the Society died, and the Society has somewhat fallen apart.

Part II: Geography, Astronomy, and Physics

Q: What does the Flat Earth look like?

A: The Flat Earth is a disk, and looks somewhat like a polarized version of the Round Earth map.  It contains what is known as the "Ice Wall, which keeps the water in.

Q: What are the dimensions of the Flat Earth?

A: The diameter is about 24900 mi (40072.56 km), and the circumference is about 78225 mi (125890.93 km).

Q: With my telescope, I can see that the other planets, sun, and moon are round.  What's up?

A: The other planets and celestial bodes are round, only the Earth is flat.  As for the sun and moon, there is some dispute about there shape, but we do believe that they are both about 32 mi in diameter and that the sun acts like a spotlight, revolving above the Earth and creating day and night.

Q: How far away are the other celestial bodies?

A: The sun and moon are each 3000 mi (4828.03 km) above the Earth, and the stars 3100 mi (4988.97 km) above the Earth.

Q: If the Earth is flat, how come it hasn't collapsed upon itself due to it's own gravity?

A: The Earth does not have a gravitational pull.  Instead, dark energy and dark matter push the Earth upward at an acceleration of 9.8 m/s2, thus simulating the effect of gravity.  This is referred to as the Universal Accelerator, or UA.  The UA also accelerates all other celestial bodies.

Q: Why hasn't the Earth reached the speed of light if it's accelerating?

A: Contrary to popular belief, acceleration is not linear.  In Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, there is an equation for adding vectors in the form of a recursive formula:

v + w
u =              
    (1 + vw) ÷ c2

In which u is your velocity, v is you rate of acceleration, w is your previous velocity, and c is the speed of light.
And if you were to work it out, you would find that it would take forever to reach the speed of light.

Q: Is sustained space flight possible?

A: Well, though the original FAQ states that it is not possible, some Flat Earthers now believe that it is.  The gravitational pull of the stars and other celestial bodies balances out with the UA and thus allows spacecraft to float freely.

Q: What is underneath the Earth?

A: Though some may believe that the Earth is supported by four elephants and a tortoise, most Flat Earthers believe the Earth rests upon dark energy or matter.

Q: Why hasn't anyone discovered the ice wall?

A: They have.  It's Antarctica.

Q: Why does gravitational pull decrease as my height increases?

A: Because you are closer to the stars, which do have a gravitational pull.

Part III: Phenomenon

Q: How do tides happen?

A: As stated earlier, the other celestial bodies have a gravitational pull.  They pull on the water, causing it to bulge in some parts.

Q: If the Flat Earth is basically a polarized Round Earth map, wouldn't there be longer distances/distortions in the Southern Hemisphere?

A: Unknown.  There is not enough data to give an accurate answer.

Q: With a little bit of math, I can show that the sun should be at different angles than what is observed.  What's up?

A: The sun's light refracts as it enters the atmosphere and continues downward, thus causing light to be bent.  Also notice that in cold areas this effect will have a greater effect on the sunlight because the cold air is denser.  This also causes light to be bent in the way it is on the Equinoxes and Solstices.

Q: How do sunrises/sunsets occur?

A: The sun gets to far away for the sunlight to reach us, also caused by the refraction as stated above.

Q: How come the sun doesn't get smaller as it moves farther away?

A: Unknown.  Possibly because of refraction and magnification through the atmosphere.

Q: What about the sinking ship effect?  On a Flat Earth, shouldn't they ship stay visible?

A: Unknown.  Possibly the laws of perspective are flawed, mostly the theory of the vanishing point.

Q: What about lunar/solar eclipses/phases?

A1: There is an unknown object known as the "Shadow Object" which passes in front of the moon/sun.
A2: The light from the sun that is reflected onto the moon is disrupted by objects on the surface of the Earth.

Q: How about Great Circle Routes in the Southern Hemisphere?  If the Flat Earth curves in the opposite direction as the Round Earth, they shouldn't work.

A1: Unknown.  Possibly pilots are misleading passengers.
A2: Unknown.  Possibly the planes are using jet streams, causing a shorter flight time.

Q: What about the Coriolis Effect on storms?

A: This is caused by "gears" caused by the heat from the sun, detains unknown.

Q: What about Foucault Pendulums?

A: Unknown.  Possibly caused by human error when starting the pendulum, or it is done on purpose.

Q: How come it's colder in winter than in summer?

A: The Flat Earth sun varies and it's orbit radius increases or decreases throughout the year.  Therefore in summer it is nearer the North Pole and in Winter, it is nearer the South Pole.

Q: What about perpetual day/nights in the North/South Poles?

A: This is caused by the sun's varying orbit radius.  When it is nearer on of the poles, it gets sunlight all the time (NOTE: Perpetual daylight in the South Pole has not yet been explained, possible due to reflection of ice particles.

Part IV: The Conspiracy

Q: Why hasn't anyone discovered that the Earth is flat?

A: The world governments, along with space agencies such as NASA and RKA deliberated cover up the Earth's shape.

Q: Why?

A: Money.  The governments tax people in order to "fund" the space agencies and then use the money for other things.

Q: What about space photos?

A1: This is caused by photographic editing.  I made this in about five minutes with Photoshop.  Now imagine what NASA could do.

A2: According to Tom Bishop, the Earth would look round from space...

Okay guys, post suggestions.  This is going to be updated.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:03:53 PM by Trekky0623 »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: New Revised Flat Earth FAQ!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
I don't want people to know that most people here don't believe in a flat earth.  :(

Let them figure that out for themselves if they have the brainpower.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Genmotty

• If I go that way I end up where I began
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »
Still no note to parallax, anabatic heat, the view of Polaris, low and high pressure systems generating wind, the aurora at the central axis or rim or photon curvature I see. Also how come one mass can have gravity but another not? Or does the Earth have no mass?

Genmotty
[Space for rent]

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 05:09:56 PM »
I think the question is more related to basic FAQ information that is commonly repetitive in new posts, rather than adding or debating new information in this thread. I could be mistaken though, just my observation.

I think it's very well done, and even clarified a couple of questions I had about what some FE explanations were. Nice version - clean and clearly written, and not a bunch of bias thrown in. Much appreciated.

Take care,
John

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 08:06:08 PM »
Yay!  The conspiracy is at the end!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »

A: Though some may believe that the Earth is supported by four elephants and a tortoise, most Flat Earthers believe the Earth rests upon dark energy or matter.

I literally laughed out loud the first time I read this.

This site is a disgrace to humanity.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »

God /argument

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »

God /argument

An utter denial of a proven truth is surely worse.

By the way, I hope you realize what an idiot you are for bringing religion into this discussion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:28:18 PM by Youreajoke »

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
/\
|
|
|-
Noob.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 08:24:15 PM »
Q: OMG, do you guys actually believe the Earth is flat?

A: Very few do.  Most of us on this site debate.  You may debate if you wish but keep in mind that insults such as "You guys are idiots" are mostly directed at the Round Earthers since they make up the majority of this site.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
Why is that?

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »

By the way, I hope you realize what an idiot you are for bringing religion into this discussion.

Actually, there are many people that hold religion and FE in concert here. Just search through the forums and read a bit. There are many arguments concerning the issue that the conspiracy is to cover up not just FET but the Bible as well. Some even go so far as to say it is because of a religious relationship that the conspiracy wants to silence FET. More or less.

C-me!
John

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:22:26 PM »

Actually, there are many people that hold religion and FE in concert here. Just search through the forums and read a bit. There are many arguments concerning the issue that the conspiracy is to cover up not just FET but the Bible as well. Some even go so far as to say it is because of a religious relationship that the conspiracy wants to silence FET. More or less.

C-me!
John

That's my opinion about the conspiracy.  It was Charles K Johnson's, the last president of the official International Flat Earth Society, opinion as well.

There's actually plenty of evidence that Samuel Rowbotham's intentions in writing Earth Not a Globe was really to push a Biblical agenda.  And throughout the Flat Earth Society's existence, from the very beginning, it has been tied to Christian Fundamentalism.

It should be noted, however, that the majority of FEers here are actually atheists.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 11:24:09 PM by Roundy has been sacked »
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

• There is no conspiracy...
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 01:50:08 AM »
How about a new concise FAQ:

Q. How do you guys explain all the observable phenomena that show the earth is round?
A. Piss off retard.

Q. What is the nature of the Earth if it is flat?
A. Piss off retard.
Quote from: Tomcooper84
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs
ENaG: Evidence Not a Guarantee.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »
This should be edited by Engy and stickied.

Gabe

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »
A: Mr. Rowbotham wrote a book Entitled Earth Not A Globe and stated the Flat Earth Society.

He stated FES? What?
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
Perhaps it might be a good idea to throw something short and sweet in with the stars explanation as to why other star-systems appear to exist? Like they recently found a planet similar to earth orbiting around Gliese 581... the extrasolar planetoids being found, other star systems that have been found in the recent past, etc. However I am assuming this is not actually possible in reference to FE since Gliese 581 cannot possibly be ~20.5 light years away.. right?

Thanks,
John

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 03:49:26 PM »
Q: Is sustained space flight possible?

A: Well, though the original FAQ states that it is not possible, some Flat Earthers now believe that it is.  The gravitational pull of the stars and other celestial bodies balances out with the UA and thus allows spacecraft to float freely.

That is some crazy gravitational pull right there. Anyway, nice picture.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »

God /argument

An utter denial of a proven truth is surely worse.

Four elephants + turtle = belief
You = laugh

God = belief
You = die laughing so go away

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 10:38:06 PM »

Part III: Phenomenon

Q: How do tides happen?

A: As stated earlier, the other celestial bodies have a gravitational pull.  They pull on the water, causing it to bulge in some parts.

Actually, the last I read, tides were caused by a gentle "sloshing" motion.  Now I don't know what they believe!   ;) ::)

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 01:01:28 PM »
Tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the antimoon, which orbits opposite and underneath the earth.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 01:03:08 PM »
There are obviously differences in opinion. Commonly, and most likely, would be the Earth gradually tilts very gently, but there are plenty of theories.

~D-Draw

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »
Tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the antimoon, which orbits opposite and underneath the earth.

o.O;;;

Well, I mean, I heard about the "antimoon," but I always assumed that it was a word used to refer to the "Shadow Object" that supposedly causes the moon phases.  I didn't know what it really was...

Is this a commonly held tenant of FET?

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 04:54:37 PM »
I think the anti-moon has only just been 'invented' although it's probably existed all along...
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 05:03:36 PM »
Sooooo.... Um, what's the purpose of this antimoon?  Does it have something to do with gravitation?  With the tides?  With explaining certain scientific experiments?

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
Apparently, the antimoon orbits the Earth in a simliar fashion to the moon, but underneath (conveniently making it forever unprovable), and explains the the tides and the Focault pendulum.
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 05:11:21 PM »
Ahhhhh, thank you!   :D

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 10:31:54 PM »
Apparently, the antimoon orbits the Earth in a simliar fashion to the moon, but underneath (conveniently making it forever unprovable), and explains the the tides and the Focault pendulum.

But don't you see? It's not that the antimoon explains those things... it's that those things explain the antimoon!!! :)

This stuff is just amazingly interesting.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 10:37:39 PM »
Yes, it is these "make-up" ideas that keeps me attracted to this site. Damn interesting. I even made my own Ice Wall theory of the flat Earth.