Did you know that 30,000 people a year visit Antarctica?

• 53 Replies
Did you know that 30,000 people a year visit Antarctica?
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:35 AM »
It's true!

67 different companies will take people to Antarctica.

Here is the official Antarctica tourism page: http://www.iaato.org/tourism_overview.html

I would think they are getting a little to close to the ice wall for the conspirator's comfort, don't you think.  Maybe one of these 30,000 visiters (that's 82 a day) will finally see this ice wall.

Looks like fun...but imaginary because the continent of Antarctica doesn't exist.

Re: Did you know that 30,000 people a year visit Antarctica?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 05:39:26 AM »
So?

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
i'm a bit confused by this post: sneakers, are you arguing the FE side or the RE side?

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
He doesn't know either.
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

?

Soldier117

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:40:48 AM »
I do believe he is trying to prove that antartica is real,therefore the round earth theory.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:58:03 AM »
The 150 foot Ice Wall is on the coast of Antarctica. It is widely known and widely studied. The Ice Wall is a massive wall of ice that surrounds Antarctica. The shelf of ice is several hundred meters thick. This nearly vertical ice front to the open sea is more than 50 meters high above the water's surface.

The Ice Wall was discovered by Sir James Clark Ross, a polar explorer who was among the first to venture to Antarctica in an attempt to determine the position of the South Magnetic Pole. Upon confronting the massive vertical front of of ice he famously remarked

"It was ... an obstruction of such character as to leave no doubt in my mind as to our future proceedings, for we might as well sail through the cliffs of Dover as to penetrate such a mass.

It would be impossible to conceive a more solid-looking mass of ice; not the smallest appearance of any rent or fissure could we discover throughout its whole extent, and the intensely bright sky beyond it but too plainly indicated the great distance to which it reached southward."

James Clark Ross and his expeditionary fleet sailed around the Ice Wall for a number of months in circumnavigation. Between pit stops at the Cape of Good Hope and his polar expeditions, he spent the next five years of his life circumnavigating the southern coast vainly in search of find a south sea passage to the other side. In his book "South Sea Voyage," James Clark Ross reports a total voyage of over 60,000 nautical miles.

Beyond the 150 foot Ice Wall is anyone's guess. How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction "human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice," extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness. Some hold that the tundra of ice and snow stretches forever eternally.

Edge of the known world: http://i23.tinypic.com/nwkp5t.jpg

The Ice Wall is a natural formation, a thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from deep within the uncharted tundra into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The wall is pushed forward into the sea by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated.

The entire coast of the Ice Wall is not one single complete wall, however. There are actually a series of thousand mile long walls, divided by Transantarctic Mountain Ranges up to 11,500 feet high. The weight of The Ice Walls are so enormous that they have literally pressed the land two thirds of a mile (one kilometer) into the earth. Under the massive forces of their own weight, the ice walls deform and drag themselves outward. Very large glaciers called ice streams flow through them continually, transporting ice from deep inland out to the sea.

Temperatures approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards. Exploration in this type of pitch black freezing environment is impossible for any man or machine. We live on a vast plane with an unknown diameter and an unknown depth. Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing the true dimensions of the Earth is something which will be forever be unknowable by man.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:02:32 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Loard Z

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 09:04:36 AM »
*bites tongue*

see, I'm learning...
See My Greatness

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »
here's what Wikipedia says about james clark ross:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clark_Ross

notice it says he reported the "ice shelf" was 250 miles wide, NOT 60,000 miles wide!

nice try, Bishop! you didn't even get the title of Ross's book right!

oh, and the "conspiracy" didn't prevent HIM from publishing a book, did it?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:17:39 AM »
How would they pass the ice wall?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
notice it says he reported the "ice shelf" was 250 miles wide, NOT 60,000 miles wide!

I told you. The 150 foot tall Ice Wall is not one complete wall. The walls are divided by Trans-Antarctic mountain ranges. The Ross Ice Wall is only one of many. Here is a partial listing of the Ice Wall sections:

* Filchner Ice Wall
    * Brunt Ice Wall
    * Riiser-Larsen Ice Wall
    * Quar Ice Wall
    * Ekstrom Ice Wall
    * Jelbart Ice Wall
    * Fimbul Ice Wall
    * Lazarev Ice Wall
    * Hannan Ice Wall
    * Zubchatyy Ice Wall
    * Wyers Ice Wall
    * Edward VIII Ice Wall
    * Amery Ice Wall
    * Publications Ice Wall
    * West Ice Wall
    * Shackleton Ice Wall
    * Moscow University Ice Wall
    * Voyeykov Ice Wall
    * Cook Ice Wall
    * Slava Ice Wall
    * Gillett Ice Wall
    * Nansen Ice Wall
    * McMurdo Ice Wall
    * Ross Ice Wall
    * Swinburne Ice Wall
    * Sulzberger Ice Wall
    * Nickerson Ice Wall
    * Getz Ice Wall
    * Dotson Ice Wall
    * Crosson Ice Shelf
    * Cosgrove Ice Wall
    * Abbot Ice Wall
    * Venable Ice Wall
    * Stange Ice Wall
    * Baka Ice Wall
    * George VI Ice Wall
    * Wilkins Ice Wall
    * Wordie Ice Wall
    * Jones Ice Wall
    * Müller Ice Wall
    * Prince Gustav Ice Wall
    * Larsen Ice Wall
    * Ronne Ice Wall

If we add up the listed lengths of these Ice Shelves we will get something approaching 40,000 miles. The other 20,000 made up of Trans-Antarctic mountain ranges.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:41:44 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Loard Z

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »

I told you. The 150 foot tall Ice Wall is not one complete wall. The walls are divided by Trans-Antarctic mountain ranges. The Ross Ice Wall is only one of many. Here is a partial listing of the Ice Wall sections:

* Filchner Ice Wall
    * Brunt Ice Wall
    * Riiser-Larsen Ice Wall
    * Quar Ice Wall
    * Ekstrom Ice Wall
    * Jelbart Ice Wall
    * Fimbul Ice Wall
    * Lazarev Ice Wall
    * Hannan Ice Wall
    * Zubchatyy Ice Wall
    * Wyers Ice Wall
    * Edward VIII Ice Wall
    * Amery Ice Wall
    * Publications Ice Wall
    * West Ice Wall
    * Shackleton Ice Wall
    * Voyeykov Ice Wall
    * Cook Ice Wall
    * Slava Ice Wall
    * Gillett Ice Wall
    * Nansen Ice Wall
    * McMurdo Ice Wall
    * Ross Ice Wall
    * Swinburne Ice Wall
    * Sulzberger Ice Wall
    * Nickerson Ice Wall
    * Getz Ice Wall
    * Dotson Ice Wall
    * Crosson Ice Shelf
    * Cosgrove Ice Wall
    * Abbot Ice Wall
    * Venable Ice Wall
    * Stange Ice Wall
    * Baka Ice Wall
    * George VI Ice Wall
    * Wilkins Ice Wall
    * Wordie Ice Wall
    * Jones Ice Wall
    * Müller Ice Wall
    * Prince Gustav Ice Wall
    * Larsen Ice Wall
    * Ronne Ice Wall

If we add up the listed lengths of these Ice Shelves we will get something approaching 40,000 miles. The other 20,000 made up of Trans-Antarctic mountain ranges.

roffle Tom, which arsehole did you pull that stack of shite from?
See My Greatness

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 04:01:26 PM »
60,000 f*cking miles?  You've got to be sh*ting me.

Sources, Tom?

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:08:18 PM »
First, I'm gonna have to give you a finger.

The 150 foot Ice Wall is on the coast of Antarctica. It is widely known and widely studied.
Widely studied? Did you just make that up?

The Ice Wall is a massive wall of ice that surrounds Antarctica.
In the FET, the Ice Wall surrounds the Earth, not the Antarctica.

The shelf of ice is several hundred meters thick. This nearly vertical ice front to the open sea is more than 50 meters high above the water's surface.
Prove it.

The Ice Wall was discovered by Sir James Clark Ross, a polar explorer who was among the first to venture to Antarctica in an attempt to determine the position of the South Magnetic Pole. Upon confronting the massive vertical front of of ice he famously remarked

"It was ... an obstruction of such character as to leave no doubt in my mind as to our future proceedings, for we might as well sail through the cliffs of Dover as to penetrate such a mass.

It would be impossible to conceive a more solid-looking mass of ice; not the smallest appearance of any rent or fissure could we discover throughout its whole extent, and
the intensely bright sky beyond it but too plainly indicated the great distance to which it reached southward."
[/list]

James Clark Ross and his expeditionary fleet sailed around the Ice Wall for a number of months in circumnavigation. Between pit stops at the Cape of Good Hope and his polar expeditions, he spent the next five years of his life circumnavigating the southern coast vainly in search of find a south sea passage to the other side. In his book "South Sea Voyage," James Clark Ross reports a total voyage of over 60,000 nautical miles.
Sir James Clark Ross was intepreting Antarctica, not the Ice Wall. Know the difference and you will be one step away from humiliation.

Beyond the 150 foot Ice Wall is anyone's guess. How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction "human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice," extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness. Some hold that the tundra of ice and snow stretches forever eternally.
There's no such thing as an infinite plane. You fail. By the way, nice copying and pasting of these posts. You still haven't answered my questions in the other post, which is based on these assumptions you made up.

The Ice Wall is a natural formation, a thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from deep within the uncharted tundra into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The wall is pushed forward into the sea by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated.

The entire coast of the Ice Wall is not one single complete wall, however. There are actually a series of thousand mile long walls, divided by Transantarctic Mountain Ranges up to 11,500 feet high. The weight of The Ice Walls are so enormous that they have literally pressed the land two thirds of a mile (one kilometer) into the earth. Under the massive forces of their own weight, the ice walls deform and drag themselves outward. Very large glaciers called ice streams flow through them continually, transporting ice from deep inland out to the sea.
More fantasies.

Temperatures approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards. Exploration in this type of pitch black freezing environment is impossible for any man or machine. We live on a vast plane with an unknown diameter and an unknown depth.
Temperature on Earth will never approach absolute zero. Nice fail. Again, explain what mechanism causes the Sun to heat things up with "something".

Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing the true dimensions of the Earth is something which will be forever be unknowable by man.
Rowbotham doesn't even know what is he trying to explain.

MORE COPYING AND PASTING!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »

* Filchner Ice Wall
    * Brunt Ice Wall
    * Riiser-Larsen Ice Wall
    * Quar Ice Wall
    * Ekstrom Ice Wall
    * Jelbart Ice Wall
    * Fimbul Ice Wall
    * Lazarev Ice Wall
    * Hannan Ice Wall
    * Zubchatyy Ice Wall
    * Wyers Ice Wall
    * Edward VIII Ice Wall
    * Amery Ice Wall
    * Publications Ice Wall
    * West Ice Wall
    * Shackleton Ice Wall
    * Voyeykov Ice Wall
    * Cook Ice Wall
    * Slava Ice Wall
    * Gillett Ice Wall
    * Nansen Ice Wall
    * McMurdo Ice Wall
    * Ross Ice Wall
    * Swinburne Ice Wall
    * Sulzberger Ice Wall
    * Nickerson Ice Wall
    * Getz Ice Wall
    * Dotson Ice Wall
    * Crosson Ice Shelf
    * Cosgrove Ice Wall
    * Abbot Ice Wall
    * Venable Ice Wall
    * Stange Ice Wall
    * Baka Ice Wall
    * George VI Ice Wall
    * Wilkins Ice Wall
    * Wordie Ice Wall
    * Jones Ice Wall
    * Müller Ice Wall
    * Prince Gustav Ice Wall
    * Larsen Ice Wall
    * Ronne Ice Wall

And the legend grows.  :D
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
sounds to me like Tom just made up many names for the SAME glacier!

i just tried to look up the first five on his list on wikipeida. NO hits on ANY of them!

besides, if there were many small ice walls, and not 1 big one, wouldn't there be gaps the ocean would ecape through?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 05:42:31 PM »

::)

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 07:36:19 PM »

i just tried to look up the first five on his list on wikipeida. NO hits on ANY of them!

besides, if there were many small ice walls, and not 1 big one, wouldn't there be gaps the ocean would ecape through?

We're calling the series of Ice Shelves which surrounds the Antarctic coast the Ice Wall. So there's a hint for you.

?

Loard Z

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »

We're calling the series of Ice Shelves which surrounds the Antarctic coast the Ice Wall. So there's a hint for you.

By "we" you mean, "you"
See My Greatness

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 07:14:10 AM »

* Filchner Ice Wall
    * Brunt Ice Wall
    * Riiser-Larsen Ice Wall
    * Quar Ice Wall
    * Ekstrom Ice Wall
    * Jelbart Ice Wall
    * Fimbul Ice Wall
    * Lazarev Ice Wall
    * Hannan Ice Wall
    * Zubchatyy Ice Wall
    * Wyers Ice Wall
    * Edward VIII Ice Wall
    * Amery Ice Wall
    * Publications Ice Wall
    * West Ice Wall
    * Shackleton Ice Wall
    * Voyeykov Ice Wall
    * Cook Ice Wall
    * Slava Ice Wall
    * Gillett Ice Wall
    * Nansen Ice Wall
    * McMurdo Ice Wall
    * Ross Ice Wall
    * Swinburne Ice Wall
    * Sulzberger Ice Wall
    * Nickerson Ice Wall
    * Getz Ice Wall
    * Dotson Ice Wall
    * Crosson Ice Shelf
    * Cosgrove Ice Wall
    * Abbot Ice Wall
    * Venable Ice Wall
    * Stange Ice Wall
    * Baka Ice Wall
    * George VI Ice Wall
    * Wilkins Ice Wall
    * Wordie Ice Wall
    * Jones Ice Wall
    * Müller Ice Wall
    * Prince Gustav Ice Wall
    * Larsen Ice Wall
    * Ronne Ice Wall

And the legend grows.  :D

I bet there's a Gayer Wall too
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »

LOL

Temperatures approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards. Exploration in this type of pitch black freezing environment is impossible for any man or machine. We live on a vast plane with an unknown diameter and an unknown depth. Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing the true dimensions of the Earth is something which will be forever be unknowable by man.

Approach absolute zero huh? lolll

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »
How can we argue with that logic?  ::)

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »
OK, just to clear up what Tom's trying to say; there is an ice wall at the coast of Antarctica but it's relatively small and just a shelf of ice. The Ice wall around the edge of the world has never been seen. In the below picture, the red circle represents the area of antarctica explored by man, the white ice extends further out. Debate is where it ends, Tom suggests it extends forever, other FEers say it is finite and there is an edge.

ozmax

• bhut seks
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 02:47:36 PM »
Beyond the 150 foot Ice Wall is anyone's guess.

Since thats all it would be, what is your guess?

here's mine,
I think that far enough out past the ice wall, it opens up into this flowery meadow with rainbow skies and rivers made of chocolate, where the children dance and laugh and play with gumdrop smiles.
advocate of simulated commiseration

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
OK, just to clear up what Tom's trying to say; there is an ice wall at the coast of Antarctica but it's relatively small and just a shelf of ice. The Ice wall around the edge of the world has never been seen. In the below picture, the red circle represents the area of antarctica explored by man, the white ice extends further out. Debate is where it ends, Tom suggests it extends forever, other FEers say it is finite and there is an edge.

That picture is fucking retarded.  How exactly can it extend forever?  If it did it.........it wouldn't, that doesn't make any sense.  Having a ice wall as shown in that picture DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE either.  Assuming you believe in all our other planets, an ice wall like that on our planet would not be correct.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
Why is that?  ???

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 05:37:57 AM »

That picture is fucking retarded.  How exactly can it extend forever?  If it did it.........it wouldn't, that doesn't make any sense.  Having a ice wall as shown in that picture DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE either.  Assuming you believe in all our other planets, an ice wall like that on our planet would not be correct.

You said a lot of 'YOU'RE WRONG LOL' but not a lot of 'YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE (enter reason here) LOL'.  You need the second one.

token

• Why don't you go fuck a rolling doughnut!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 05:59:15 AM »
Hey, zappo, Bishop believes the ice wall is 150 feet.
So now you can ask him how the atmosphere is kept in so he'll change the numbers to something more comfortable, like 50,000 feet or summat.
Got that.

But then again, who's saying he has to believe it? No FE'er believes what they say anyway, they just keep adding things to make it fit, and this is the reason you won't be able to prove the theory wrong.

Then again, I believe it was Billy Corgan who said "the burden of proof is on those who believe a flat earth.", and if I'm wrong please commence butchering my post.:(
Maybe I will!

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
Visiting Antarctica, as already pointed out, does not intrinsically involve seeing the Ice Wall.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »
Cause no one has ever seen the ice wall. but it must exist. it must............ :'(
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

*cough* Tom *cough*

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
while searching for any references to bishop's list of "ice walls" i came across this:

http://scarsale.tamu.edu/technology/Bentley_2006.doc

notice it actually calls them ice SHELVES and tells how they drilled holes in them to find out how deep they are.
some are 3 kilometers deep. NOT 150 miles high!

and here's a satellite picture of antarctica:

http://terraweb.wr.usgs.gov/projects//Antarctica/AVHRR.html