Cardinal Directions for Flat Earth

• 21 Replies
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:00:01 PM »
Any one have any ideas on a set of cardinal directions(NESW) for flat earth? With "north" now being a central point and "south" being the directon away from this point I think they need some revising. So, would someone like to put a compass rose on our flat earth map?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Cardinal Directions for Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:19:11 PM »
Quote from: "Euclidean"
Any one have any ideas on a set of cardinal directions(NESW) for flat earth? With "north" now being a central point and "south" being the directon away from this point I think they need some revising. So, would someone like to put a compass rose on our flat earth map?

I don't see why they need revising.  I also don't particularly feel like making an FE map and putting a compass rose on it, though I will if you insist.  Though perhaps I will first insist that you put a compass rose on a globe.  Somewhere on the northern hemisphere will do admirably.  If, once you have done that, you still don't see how to do it on the FE map, I will make a picture.

If you really want other names for the directions, how about

North = Hubwards
South = Rimwards
West = Turnwise (edit: thanks HiveLord for pointing this out)
East = Widdershins

I occassionally use this terminology in my posts, when I want to differentiate FE navigation from RE navigation.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 06:26:17 PM »
that doesn't make sense if west is sunwards, because the sun moves. And if the earth is flat, isn't the rim all around us?
The Earth is round because Jesus told me so...

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »
And if the earth is flat, isn't the rim all around us?

Yes.

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 12:50:45 AM »
Quote from: "Jaxson"
that doesn't make sense if west is sunwards, because the sun moves.

The sun travels west.

And if the earth is flat, isn't the rim all around us?

Righto.

--Chal

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 12:36:57 PM »
that doesn't make sense if west is sunwards, because the sun moves.

As Chal says, I would call west "sunwards" because that's the direction the sun is moving in -- not (necessarily) the direction you go to get towards the sun.  You could also call it "clockwise".

-Erasmus

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 12:45:15 PM »
Or 'Turnwise'

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »
Quote from: "HiveLord"
Or 'Turnwise'

Oh yeah yeah, that's way better!

*editting old post*

-Erasmus

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 10:17:49 PM »
Code: [Select]
                       ^
                        |
                   <---  --->
                        |

I was asking if anyone wanted to give a name to four points on the FE map such as in this crude configuration.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 10:23:11 PM »
Shouldn't there really only be North and South, with East and West now out of the picture?

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 10:38:53 PM »
Quote from: "monkeyman"
Shouldn't there really only be North and South, with East and West now out of the picture?

No.  Inward would be north, outward would be south.  But what if you're travelling but not getting any closer to either the north pole or the ice wall (i.e. along a line of latitude around the north pole)?  You're moving, so there needs to be a direction.  Like Erasmus said, clockwise = west, counterclockwise = east.
ooyakasha!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »
So here's an FE map with a compass rose on it.  Actually, so you wouldn't get confused or try to move the rose around incorrectly, I've also shown you how it's meant to be moved by making three copies of the rose.

The letters stand for the direction names as given in my/HiveLord's previous posts.

-Erasmus

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 10:45:05 PM »
meh, I was looking to put only one rose somehow on the map. But I can't think of a logical way. Like if you split FE into four quarants, how could you name them?

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 10:47:30 PM »
The only difference between that picture and the real directions would be that the "Turnwise" and "Widdershins" directions would not be straight.  They would follow concentric circles around the pole of the earth.  But that would maybe be too much of a pain to draw, and I think the picture works.
ooyakasha!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 10:54:28 PM »
Quote from: "Euclidean"
meh, I was looking to put only one rose somehow on the map. But I can't think of a logical way.

Consider the problem of projecting the surface of the Earth onto a plane.  The Mercator projection maps parallels to horizontals, lines of longitude to verticals.  Thus you can place "just one rose" on the map.

However, other projections do not have this property that, for example, north is always vertical.  On a polar stereographic map, you cannot place "just one compass rose".  In fact, the FE map of the hubwards annulus looks similar to a polar stereographic map of the northern hemisphere.

Like if you split FE into four quarants, how could you name them?

Depends on how you split them.  If you draw two orthogonal diameters, you could label them, in widdershins direction, "I", "II", "III", and "IV".  Turns out this notation is already used by mathematicians to refer to the quadrants of any Euclidean plane.

-Erasmus

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 11:21:37 PM »
The cartesian coordinate plane (you could call it the eucildean plane) can have one compass rose:
Y+
Y-
X+
X-

A better example would be the polar coordinate plane, in wich points are expressed by thier magnitude from the center and rotational degrees.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 06:02:01 AM »
I just noticed the paradox of how man has believed the Earth to be flat for centuries, yet used the cardinal directions NSEW, which dont apply on a flat earth.
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 06:08:44 AM »
Sure they do.

North is poiinting towards the center of the earth. No matter where you are, you can point towards the center of the earth. Your compass does this.

South is pointing directly away from the center of the earth. No matter where you are, you can point away from the center of the earth.

West is following the circumference of a circle centered on the center of the earth and of radius equal to the distance you are from the center of the earth, in the clockwise direction. This is true regardless of your location on the earth.

West is following the circumference of a circle centered on the center of the earth and of radius equal to the distance you are from the center of the earth, in the counter-clockwise direction. This is true regardless of your location on the earth.

How can you say the cardinal directions North, South, East, and West don't apply to a flat earth?

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:23 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
How can you say the cardinal directions North, South, East, and West don't apply to a flat earth[...]

...especially since they were used on the flat Earth first? :?

--Chal

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:11 AM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
I just noticed the paradox of how man has believed the Earth to be flat for centuries, yet used the cardinal directions NSEW, which dont apply on a flat earth.

I've always been curious: which centuries were these?

-Erasmus

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »
and 100 bc to 1600 ad or so.

and i was referring to this thread being about how cardinal directions dont apply in the normal sense on a flat earth
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
and 100 bc to 1600 ad or so.

I'm pretty sure that for all of the centuries you list, many people -- probably most people -- believed the Earth to be a sphere.

and i was referring to this thread being about how cardinal directions dont apply in the normal sense on a flat earth

It's still not clear to me how they don't apply, or what the normal sense is exactly.  By that I mean I can't come up with a formal description of what the normal sense is.

-Erasmus