I already fell off the Earth...

• 33 Replies
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:06:01 PM »
Im not sure what the map that FE perhaps made of the world looks like, but i will think that it is the same as a World Map where North America is on the West side, Europe to the East, and Australia and New Zealand to the South-East.

I travelled to Australia, and we took a course going WSW from Canada. Wouldn't that mean that i fell off the Earth???

By the way, what is the real site of the Flat Earth Society... I got this site, but it must be a joke....http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm
The Earth is round because Jesus told me so...

Re: I already fell off the Earth...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »
Quote from: "Jaxson"
Im not sure what the map that FE perhaps made of the world looks like, but i will think that it is the same as a World Map where North America is on the West side, Europe to the East, and Australia and New Zealand to the South-East.

I travelled to Australia, and we took a course going WSW from Canada. Wouldn't that mean that i fell off the Earth???

By the way, what is the real site of the Flat Earth Society... I got this site, but it must be a joke....http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

I brought up this site on the FAQ thread and EVERYONE agrees that it is a hoax, although I have seen others that are even more obvious spoofs than this one....
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »
But my original question, if you can answer it and perhaps convince me that the earth is not round (really thin chance)

Don't answer that the pilot just said that and was lying or a compass was malfuntioning

FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF HOAX FE SITE

The Flat Earth Society is not in any way responsible for the failure of the French to repel the Germans at the Maginot Line during WWII. Nor is the Flat Earth Society responsible for the recent yeti sightings outside the Vatican, or for the unfortunate enslavement of the Nabisco Inc. factory employees by a rogue hamster insurrectionist group.    - lol

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: I already fell off the Earth...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:15:27 PM »

It is not the same as that map; have a look at the FAQ.  It's a disc with the north pole at the center.

Only if you kept flying in a straight line for a fairly long time.   Even on the FE, Australia is still southish and westish of Canada.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
Im sure this has been posted here before, and i am sorry if it has. Im new here...

Q: If the North Pole is in the center of the earth, then where is the South Pole?
And...

The sun heats the earth and on a round earth there is an Equator. On a flat earth the could not possibly be an equator and all of the earth would be the exact same temperature. The Temperature differences are created because the distance of different parts of our planet to the sun. Africa is towards the middle of a round earth and therfore it is hotter because like a ball is distends in the middle (pushes outwards) and pushes in towards the top where the climate is cooler.

Q:So why is it then that we have different temperature on our earth if all of the earth is the exact same distance away from the sun?

Code: [Select]
SUN> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
  SUN > > > > > > > > > > > EARTH   C
  SUN > > > > > > > > > > EARTH     20C
   SUN > > > > > > > > >EARTH        35C
   SUN> > > > > > > > >EARTH        35C
  SUN> > > > > > > > > >EARTH      20C
 SUN> > > > > > > > > > >EARTH    0C
SUN> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

This simple diagram illustrates the distances and how temperature increase according to the distance to the sun, just so you better understand my question.

(The temperature are not correct, just for the point - Measured in Degrees Celcius.)

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
Q: If the North Pole is in the center of the earth, then where is the South Pole?

I'm serious about this "Read the FAQ" thing.  It's one of the sticky topics at the top of this forum's topic listing; it says "Please read before posting" on it.

There is no south pole; "north pole" is a misnomer.  There's just a hub and a rim.  In some sense you could describe (incorrectly) the rim as the south pole; a point on the round Earth that is near the south pole is near the rim on the flat Earth.

Your other question is answered in the FAQ.  There is an equator; the sun doesn't shine equally brightly on all latitudes.

Also, in your "picture", it looks like the sun is flat :)

-Erasmus

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »
According to FE, the sun is only 32 miles across(?). It moves over (above) the Earth, and the closer one is to the sun, the warmer it is. The sun circles over the equator (though it moves in or out depending on the time of year), and thus it is hotter near the equator and cooler away from it.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:57:38 PM »
In  my picture the sun looks flat because the forum made it look that way... it takes away any spacing... i tryed to make it round

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »
In  my picture the sun looks flat because the forum made it look that way... it takes away any spacing... i tryed to make it round

Code: [Select]
If you put stuff in a block called "code" (like, [code]stuff[/code]), then
  the forum
     will leave
       in
  whatever
     spaces
          you
                                                                 put.

-Erasmus

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:20:16 PM »
Quote from: "Four Fifths"
According to FE, the sun is only 32 miles across(?)...

If the sun were only 32 miles across, but some how lights the whole world. Why is it then that Nunavut would still be left in total darkness for 6 months of the year???

Uneven light distibution over Nunavut wouldnt make sense if the world was flat, because the rest of the 'flat' earth could never block out the sunlight for that long. It is normally because of the earth's orbit, and the sunlight can't get around the top of the earth's 'curve'. Only 6 months of the year are sunny in Nunavut, and there is definitly not a large ice wall blocking sun from here nor a mountain of any sort. If it reaches the Northwest Terretories it would reach Nunavut.

It may seem like im an *** but im just doubtful... sorry
I'm just going to fly around the earth now...

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 04:50:10 PM »
its been explained already. check the logo of the site. here it is if you dont feel like looking up:

You can circumnavigate the globe.
I dont believe in this theory, but its fun to discuss.
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
If the sun were only 32 miles across, but some how lights the whole world.

It doesn't light the whole world -- not all at the same time.  Just the other day it was nighttime here :)

Why is it then that Nunavut would still be left in total darkness for 6 months of the year???

Excuse me, but do you live in Nunavut?  I think you will find that Nunavut does in fact not experience total darkness for six months without break.  Even on a round Earth, that property is the privilege of the poles only, and Nunavut certainly reaches no farther north than 85°.

Uneven light distibution over Nunavut wouldnt make sense if the world was flat, because the rest of the 'flat' earth could never block out the sunlight for that long.

Maybe you thought I was joking before.  Read the FAQ.

-Erasmus

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 05:22:43 PM »
Actually, i went to Nunavut for three months, all of which were dark. Nunavut is covered in total darkness for most of the year. I live in Canada, i learn about this stuff and i have been there so excuse yourself.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:26:30 PM »
Nunavut is covered in total darkness for most of the year.

Six months isn't most of the year; it's half the year.  Furthermore, not all that time is total darkness; at least some of it is twilight.  Obviously.

Actually, i went to Nunavut for three months, all of which were dark. ... I live in Canada, i learn about this stuff and i have been there so excuse yourself.

I do excuse myself.  Here is my excuse: three months are not six.  What's yours?

-Erasmus

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 05:32:29 PM »
Thats because i was only there for 3 months, read what i wrote... it is still covered in darkness for another 3 months. You can't answer my question because it has no logical explanation for a flat earth.

And if i was to fly straight west (starting out in the airforce) i would never fall off the earth. Has anyone ever seen an ice wall, taken a picture of one? How come if i travel straight south it ends with ice bergs and if i keep travelling i would come right back to civilization? Your flat earth conspiracy has fallen off the earth, it's been proven wrong a billion times by many scientists. NASA and the government are not covering up a flat earth (covering up other things though). And the sun is obviously bigger than 35 miles across, they thought the earth was flat because they didn't understand gravity. They though if it was round you would fall off the other side, but they were proven wrong when gravity was discovered... the was why the flat earth was ever thought of, no one knew about gravity. And when you are on the see it is quite visible that the clouds curve downwards past the horizon.

BTW: FAQ's are not good to make in forums because it takes away everything to talk about.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
Thats because i was only there for 3 months, read what i wrote... it is still covered in darkness for another 3 months.

I did read what you wrote.  Then I said, "Do you live there?" though I would have been satisfied with you having been there only for the six months you claim are dark.

You were there for three months in which it was dark.  You know nothing about the other three, but you have a theory that they are in total darkness.

Surely you realize that the (round) Earth rotates on the axis through its north and south poles, and that this rotation takes twenty-four hours.  So how can it be that any point on the (round) Earth -- except a pole -- can escape the sun's gaze for six full months?  Sure, some points will escape for more than a day -- those whose latitudes are greater than 90°+Xsin(2πt), where X is the inclination of the Earth's axis to the ecliptic and t is the time in years since the vernal equinox.  But they certainly won't escape for six months, because eventually the Earth will swing back to put them in the sunlight again; it takes six months for the north pole itself to swing back, so of course it will take less for a point that is not as far north as the pole.  Surely there are parts of Nunavut that are sufficiently far south; in fact, there are some points below the arctic circle: at these points the sun will rise at least once per twenty-four-hour period.

Anyway, I can make a picture if you think it will help.

FAQ's are not good to make in forums because it takes away everything to talk about.

No, it only takes away everything that's been talked about to death.  Your issue about day lengths at different latitudes, however, has not been discussed to death, or in fact, at great length at all.  See how we're talking about it?

-Erasmus

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
Man, look it up. Nunavut is covered in darkness for 6 months in a year. It is in encyclopedia's, on the internet, documented in books. People have been there and seen it. It is a fact that it is dark there for 6 months in a year, if you live in Canada you know that.

http://www.research.umbc.edu/~harries/resolute.pdf

that site isn't saying that that is the end of the earth, it is just a metaphor saying that it is so far from civilization.

This is probably is the FAQ, but if the sun is directly above the earth (assuming at some time it is over the North Pole), would the sun ever be directly above you?

Never heard that happen before, and if the sun was above the earth it
would, so...

We are all intitled to our own opinion, no matter how disillusioned they may be.
OUT FOR THE DAY... MAYBE BACK FOR ANOTHER

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »
This is probably is the FAQ, but if the sun is directly above the earth (assuming at some time it is over the North Pole), would the sun ever be directly above you?

No, the sun would never be directly above you. The sun orbits above the equator, plus or minus a few percentages of the radius to produce seasons.

How come if i travel straight south it ends with ice bergs and if i keep travelling i would come right back to civilization?

Keep traveling in what direction? "Straight" is very hard to define in aircraft that rely heavily on instrumentation. If you kept following your compasy "south", for example, you'd be stuck over antarctica forever. So what do you do, you travel south until you decide to travel north again, and then you end up back in civilization? The same would happen on the flat earth.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 09:31:34 PM »
How come if i travel straight south it ends with ice bergs and if i keep travelling i would come right back to civilization?

Surely you haven't done this, so I would refrain from using it as an argument.  That's like me saying: "Oh, strict government conspiracy huh?  How come if I kill a flat earther I get arrested?"  Obviously, I wouldn't be able to argue that unless I've killed a flat earther and gotten arrested.
ooyakasha!

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 01:24:59 AM »
Man, look it up. Nunavut is covered in darkness for 6 months in a year. It is in encyclopedia's, on the internet, documented in books. People have been there and seen it. It is a fact that it is dark there for 6 months in a year, if you live in Canada you know that.

The question isn't "Have other people claimed to have seen it?" It's "Have you seen it?" coupled with "Why should I believe you?"

I'm not implying that I shouldn't believe you, necessarily, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for it.

--Chal

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »

(a) I have demonstrated, mathematically, that you are talking nonsense.  This is the last time I will repremand your unwillingness to discuss things rationally and learn something you didn't know before.

(b) Did you even read this article?  It says, and I quote:
Quote from: "DeNeen L. Brown"
The sun goes below the horizon on Nov. 4 or 5.  "The sun comes back Feb. 4.

Does Nov 4 - Feb 4 sound like six months to you?  Sounds like four to me.  Anyway, thanks for finding this article so I didn't have to go and do it myself.

-Erasmus

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

(a) I have demonstrated, mathematically, that you are talking nonsense.  This is the last time I will repremand your unwillingness to discuss things rationally and learn something you didn't know before.

(b) Did you even read this article?  It says, and I quote:
Quote from: "DeNeen L. Brown"
The sun goes below the horizon on Nov. 4 or 5.  "The sun comes back Feb. 4.

Does Nov 4 - Feb 4 sound like six months to you?  Sounds like four to me.  Anyway, thanks for finding this article so I didn't have to go and do it myself.

-Erasmus

you have not demostrated anything mathmatically at all. your FAQ is nothing but a bunch of adolescent assumptions about everyday observations on the earth. you give numbers for distances of the sun and moon, but don't tell us how you arrived at them. i'm getting the feeling you are doing this entire thing as a joke just to see how many people you can work up over it. where is the SCIENCE?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 01:30:02 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"
you have not demostrated anything mathmatically at all. your FAQ ...

Read the rest of this thread before you decide to chime in with irrelevancies.  My statement about "proof" was not a reference to the FAQ, but to a post in this thread.

-Erasmus

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
you have not demostrated anything mathmatically at all. your FAQ ...

Read the rest of this thread before you decide to chime in with irrelevancies.  My statement about "proof" was not a reference to the FAQ, but to a post in this thread.

-Erasmus

it's more directed at your beliefs in general then this thread.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 02:11:22 PM »

My beliefs?  Sir, that is fairly presumputous of you.  Whence comes your knowledge about my beliefs?

Before you answer, I might offer that I will take anything you say with contempt aforethought.  After all, you are a member of a Flat Earth Society forum; therefore you must believe in a Flat Earth, which makes you a fool.  Am I wrong?

-Erasmus

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 03:21:12 PM »

My beliefs?  Sir, that is fairly presumputous of you.  Whence comes your knowledge about my beliefs?

Before you answer, I might offer that I will take anything you say with contempt aforethought.  After all, you are a member of a Flat Earth Society forum; therefore you must believe in a Flat Earth, which makes you a fool.  Am I wrong?

-Erasmus

you keep telling me to read the FAQ, which makes me believe that you are a FEer. forgive me i'm incorrect. but you have been defending FEer, even if you are not.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
you keep telling me to read the FAQ, which makes me believe that you are a FEer. forgive me i'm incorrect. but you have been defending FEer, even if you are not.

If we were having an argument about the rules of Dungeons and Dragons v 3.5, I might often refer you to the appropriate version of the Player's Handbook.  Were we having an argument about Judaism, I might refer you to the Torah.  However, neither of those likely events implies that I am Jewish, or that I believe that I can cast fireball.

It's just the relevant reference, that's all.

-Erasmus

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »
Erasmus, do you actually believe in a flat earth?

Like i said earlier, that was a theory dating back to who knows when because no one had discovered gravity yet. Gravity was discovered it is explained, people went to space. People watched the space shuttle go to space, people watched it come down. The earth is round. And if you still don't believe the earth is flat, there is no way that the sun is only 32 miles across. If you look through a telescope with a special lens at the sun, you can clearly tell it is more than 32 miles across. And if it has always been like that, the earth would be a much cooler place, and most likely the sun would have already turned into a red giant star, then turn supernova. There is no possible way a 32 mile sun could heat our whole planet unless it was spinning around at an incredibly fast rate. The government is hiding anything about our planet. Do you think they would let us see those HD pics of mars??? If they were hiding something i really doubt it. From satellite images you can see the round earth. And again, your 'theory' has been proven wrong.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 04:00:18 PM »
Erasmus, do you actually believe in a flat earth?

I am touched; you are one of the few who's actually asked.

No, I don't.

Moving on.

no one had discovered gravity yet.

That's an interesting clause.  Tell it to the little Babylonian kids who fell off their little Babylonian.... bicycles... or whatever.

Gravity was discovered it is explained, people went to space.

"EXTRA EXTRA!  Isaac Newton et al. Orbit Earth in Apple-like Ship!  Let 1690 be known as the year Man first went into space."

People watched the space shuttle go to space, people watched it come down. The earth is round.

Interesting conclusion... are you saying that for some reason rockets would not function on a flat Earth?

If you look through a telescope with a special lens at the sun, you can clearly tell it is more than 32 miles across. And if it has always been like that, the earth would be a much cooler place, and most likely the sun would have already turned into a red giant star, then turn supernova.

Whoa!

1)  Why spherical?  Does it not work with, say, a parabolic lens?  Also, how can you tell that it is more than 32 miles across?  Are there markers?

2)  Well, certainly if the sun were much closer, the Earth would be a much hotter place.  So if it's smaller and closer, maybe the effects would cancel out, and it would be just as warm as it is.

3)  How would the sun go from being a mere 32 miles across to being a red giant?  That's quite an expansion, wouldn't you say?

Do you think they would let us see those HD pics of mars???

The pictures weren't exactly "leaks".  Surely if the government gave them to us, it must be to help prop up the conspiracy which is starting to be criticised by people like the late Charles K. Johnson :)

And again, your 'theory' has been proven wrong.

Actually you should have said,

Quote from: "Jaxson should have"
And "again", your theory has been "proven" wrong.

-Erasmus

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 11:34:58 PM »
Quote:
no one had discovered gravity yet.

That's an interesting clause. Tell it to the little Babylonian kids who fell off their little Babylonian.... bicycles... or whatever.

Theres a difference between discovering that things fall down and the concept of gravity.