Flat dimension

  • 10 Replies
  • 2394 Views
Flat dimension
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:41:51 AM »
Because it's pretty stupid to think that the whole universe revolves around us, what if everything in the whole universe was flat and side by side with a few thousand miles of things that look like stars inbetween, then opposite this are a complex series of mirrors so no matter where you are, you see exactly what you're supposed to, this would make more sense to me, although mirrors would be weird and pointless, perhaps simply the edge of it all is reflective.



planets at the bottom, lines are reflective (not realistic at all).

Flat dimension
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:52:47 AM »
i dont understand that
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

Flat dimension
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »
Neither do I.
img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/killer_venom47/Spottswoode.jpg[/img]
Non Beleivers Must be Stoned!!!
Down with the round earthers!

Flat dimension
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:12:13 AM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
i dont understand that



probably because it's wrong. we live in a universe with 3 phyisical dimensions, and one time dimension(and possibly an imaginary time dimension that runs vertical to horizontal time, it's a math thing).

?

Erasmus

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4242
Flat dimension
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
It's not totally incoherent, but it needs... well, lots of work.  It could be that the 3rd dimension is "small": not small compared to human beings, but small compared to, say, the solar system.  In order for it to make sense -- i.e. you don't want the universe to have "edges" -- probably you'd wrap the 3rd dimension up into a cylinder.

Whoa.  Okay: now, the Earth's acceleration is purely around this cylinder.  Furthermore, the sun and moon and stars and what not are -- guess where -- under the Earth!  That's what keeps them at a fixed distance from us -- the distance is the circumference of the cylinder.

I'll make a picture when I get a chance.

Quote from: "troubadour"
(and possibly an imaginary time dimension that runs vertical to horizontal time, it's a math thing).


This is new to me.  Clarify?

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Flat dimension
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
It's not totally incoherent, but it needs... well, lots of work.  It could be that the 3rd dimension is "small": not small compared to human beings, but small compared to, say, the solar system.  In order for it to make sense -- i.e. you don't want the universe to have "edges" -- probably you'd wrap the 3rd dimension up into a cylinder.

Whoa.  Okay: now, the Earth's acceleration is purely around this cylinder.  Furthermore, the sun and moon and stars and what not are -- guess where -- under the Earth!  That's what keeps them at a fixed distance from us -- the distance is the circumference of the cylinder.

I'll make a picture when I get a chance.

Quote from: "troubadour"
(and possibly an imaginary time dimension that runs vertical to horizontal time, it's a math thing).


This is new to me.  Clarify?

-Erasmus


with pleasure.

for me to explain this though you have to step into the realm of more recent theoretical physics. In Quantum Theory we find that there are actually many possible histories for particles, and that they take all possible paths. In our history however we of course only see one(yes we have an equation that governs this). In order to better understand this concept picture time as an X line on a graph. it's a straight line, go foward to reach future events, backward to reach past ones. But to incorporate the Sum over histories equation, which says a particle takes every possible path from A to B(but we observe 1 in our history), another measure of time was needed. much like imaginary numbers, imaginary time was concieved, and it matches well with observations. picture that X line again, imaginary time runs Y, or vertical to X. Y is all the other possible histories. so let's say Y=0 is our history. anywhere from -10,0 to 33242342,0 are times that have or will happen in the past or future for us. Y=1 however is a completely different history. maybe in it nobody ever challenged the flat earth theory till the end of civilization ;). Y=2 would be yet another history, and so on.  

don't confuse the mathematical concept of imaginary with the literal one however. the reason that imaginary time exists as a concept still is because it agrees mathmatically with observations so well. also this opens up the idea of a 2 dimensional time, which makes holography a possiblity. A hologram is a 2 dimensional image that is created by refracting lasers off a 3 dimensional surface a certain way. The thing about holograms is that they contain enough data on them to recreate the scene in all 3 dimensions. which means that it is possible that we exist on  2 dimensions of time, but are projected much like a hologram into a 3 dimensional physical universe.  I'm not making this up these are the current theories being discussed. pretty neat stuff.

?

Erasmus

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4242
Flat dimension
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"
... But to incorporate the Sum over histories equation, which says a particle takes every possible path from A to B(but we observe 1 in our history), another measure of time was needed. much like imaginary numbers, imaginary time was concieved, and it matches well with observations.


So... the extra dimension allows us to have multiple smooth nonintersecting curves in the time plane, or what?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Flat dimension
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:12:49 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "troubadour"
... But to incorporate the Sum over histories equation, which says a particle takes every possible path from A to B(but we observe 1 in our history), another measure of time was needed. much like imaginary numbers, imaginary time was concieved, and it matches well with observations.


So... the extra dimension allows us to have multiple smooth nonintersecting curves in the time plane, or what?


particles seem to do it all the time.

?

Erasmus

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4242
Flat dimension
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 02:14:27 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"
particles seem to do it all the time.


This must be some new use of the word "seem" that I was previous unaware of, due to my lack of proper laboratory equipment for experimentation on the quantum mechanical scale.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Flat dimension
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "troubadour"
particles seem to do it all the time.


This must be some new use of the word "seem" that I was previous unaware of, due to my lack of proper laboratory equipment for experimentation on the quantum mechanical scale.

-Erasmus


check out the famous two slits experiment. single electrons shot at the slits traveled through both at the same time, and interfeared with itself.

?

Erasmus

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4242
Flat dimension
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"
check out the famous two slits experiment. single electrons shot at the slits traveled through both at the same time, and interfeared with itself.


I'm familiar with Young's experiment; just not with that particular mathematical formalization of it.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?