The Plane Truth

• 48 Replies
?

Al the Dizzert

The Plane Truth
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 08:35:26 AM »
"This textbook contains material on gravity. Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of staying on the ground. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."

The Plane Truth
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »
alright, but say i were to take an FE person as a copilot, had him personally lay in the coordinates, and fly.

The weakness of the FE "conspiracy theory" is that its like some creationist arguments, that (when taken to the absurd) can "refute" anything..  we could have the plane's location monitored by GPS but WAIT-- GLOBAL positioning....thats right, its part of the conspiracy.  Nothing, short of having them build the plane from scratch, could definitively proven to not be a hoax.

I'd still like to hear an FE'ers response to my question. because i don't think its answerable.

The Plane Truth
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 08:49:43 AM »
If you are of any religion I ask you to proove here and now, beyond a doubt that your religion is true. If you are not of any religion I ask you to proove here and now that nothing exsists. Or that somethign exsists. BEYOND A DOUBT.

I do not ask you to do this to actually know your convoluted answer. The answer to all questions regarding faith, or the lack thereof is simply that you BELIEVE that you have been taught many things and that you have CHOSEN to BELIEVE in ONE. I have read many religions and I have seen there principles. I may not agree with what some say, but in parts every religion has good things to say.

It does not matter WHAT you believe in. What matters is THAT you believe.

I may not agree with WHAT you say but I will defend to the DEATH your right to say it.
-Voltaire

All this to say that you may think that I make no sense whatsoever, but allow me to believe that the earth is flat and pray to mine diety and I will allow you to think that the earth is round and pray to yours.

Selon moi- The earth is flat. The moon walk was fake. Mech Teu-The picture you posted was one of no dimensions. It clearly shows a round, flat earth. Chaltier would be much interested to find that you believe the FLAT earth is round as well. Your picture is much like looking down at a coin. Flat, with depth, and round. Thank you for submitting great evidence to our Flat Earth Theories.

Lisa
 may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire
As long as it does not interfere with my right to speak, nor does it flame someone, harm them, harrass or abuse them.
-Me

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 11:39:59 AM »
Quote from: "Voltaire"
I may not agree with WHAT you say but I will defend to the DEATH your right to say it.

Quote from: "Nuth"
All this to say that you may think that I make no sense whatsoever, but allow me to believe that the earth is flat and pray to mine diety and I will allow you to think that the earth is round and pray to yours.

I claim that these statements are contradictory.  Will you defend to the death my right to say that everything you believe is nonsense, garbage, moronic, and just plain wrong?  Will you defend to the death my right to try to change your beliefs via rational discussion?

If not, I think you misrepresent Voltaire.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

The Plane Truth
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 11:14:02 PM »
Nuth--

My attempt (or anyone else's, for that matter) to prove or disprove the existence or nonexistence of an omnipotent being would be futile. That's not something you can prove.  Religion is belief in something intangible, something that is, by its very nature, unproveable.  This FE stuff is not about what you believe in, because it's a matter of a physical, proveable property of the world we live in.

While I admire your (slight misq)quotations of Voltaire and the little French you tossed in for effect, you still did not address my ONE and ONLY launched argument against this flat earth stuff.

Flat Earth is not a religion. It is a school of thought regarding a very tangible, physical, and (ultimately) proveable thing.  Forget about the moon landing.  Forget about religion. Forget about Voltaire. Oubliez le francais.

My argument is simple:

IFF the earth is flat, THEN one should arrive at the end of it at some point (this giant ice wall i heard mention of.)

Further:

IFF the earth is flat, THEN one cannot start in one location, proceed on a fixed trajectory, and ever arrive back at the starting location without turning.

Thus:

IF the earth is flat, how is it possible to fly a plane in a fixed direction of travel and end up where you started, without ever hitting an ice sheet.

(also, this is just a side point:  if the earth is flat and there really is no sphere to orbit, how do you explain the satellites that bring me satellite radio and directv?)

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:25 AM »
Quote from: "jblaze87"
IF the earth is flat, how is it possible to fly a plane in a fixed direction of travel and end up where you started, without ever hitting an ice sheet.

You need to provide evidence of that.

The Plane Truth
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »
i need to provide evidence?

alright..

A man named Steve Fosset made a complete circumnavigation of the globe last year without stopping to refuel.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/03/03/globalflyer.fossett/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/10/tech/main1303834.shtml

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 02:29:25 PM »
i need to provide evidence?

Always.

A man named Steve Fosset made a complete circumnavigation of the globe last year without stopping to refuel.

And without changing direction?  Neither of the articles says anything about that.

-Erasmus

The Plane Truth
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »
Oui I will defend to the death your right to influence my beliefs. That's what the discovery channel does. That's what school does. Le difference sera le facon- the manner in which I obsorb the information. I may know more and will come right back until you can convince me otherwise love.

And for the other one responding to what I said.

I'm a student pilot. The maps I work with are square. Also, if optical illusions are so easy, why not the illusion of being able to fly around. Think of the earth as being flat, with depth, and circular. Now think of both sides as being inhabited. Now think. Absorb this then come back to me. Maybe this solves much of your confusion.

Merci pour votre patience.

Toujours a vos service,

Lisa
 may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire
As long as it does not interfere with my right to speak, nor does it flame someone, harm them, harrass or abuse them.
-Me

The Plane Truth
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 04:04:11 PM »
Juste une autre addition pour clarification on my position;

(Doggy style. <- j/k, je m'escuse I could not resist)

I will defend your right to say it yet I have a right to believe something. Many people use harsh words to debate the issue- I think of them as silly. If they use such behavior their message will be ignored. I will only hear intelligent arguments, as I will hear those that have followed my first post in this thread.

Merci,

Lisa
-Voltaire
-Me

The Plane Truth
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 06:03:31 PM »
The problem with the "not changing direction" bit is that he flew by lines of latitude...I can't (read: haven't had time) find anything related to his exact course, I know he flew a balloon around the world and followed the 40S line of latitude the whole trip, but I'm not sure on the plane journey.

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 05:41:33 PM »
jblaze, the FAQ deals with circumnavigation of the earth, and unless you can somehow prove that he travelled in a straight line, then this example you provided is useless, insofar as proving the earth is a sphere, although it was an interesting read.

NutH, french speaking and live in Canada? I'd guess Quebec or New Brunswik...given your english writing style, probably Quebec...good to know Cinlef and I have company, in any case.  Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2006, 01:34:21 AM »
Quote from: "NutH"
I'm a student pilot.

Are you serious? A lot of FE points rely on pilots being "in on the conspiracy".

The Plane Truth
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2006, 04:38:35 PM »
6strings--

That's exactly the point....that the only way to explain that happening is to say that all scientific methods we have for proving that the plane is traveling in a "straight" line rather than following a circular "line" of latitude (i.e. GPS, compasses, etc.) is to say that those are part of the conspiracy (The word GLOBAL sort of tips that off...)

Although, one way to test this does exist.  Since according to the FE model North is not located on top of the globe (geographic north-- magnetic north is in canada in the RE model) but rather is the center point of the circular earth, it would be possible for a pilot to leave his/her point of origin, draw the perpendicular to "north", and then constantly adjust his/her heading so as to form a right triangle with the hypotenuse running from the plane to North and constantly increasing, the "b" side remaining constant, and the "a" side (the line from the plane to the point of origin) constantly increasing.  This would guarantee mathematically that the plane was flying in a straight line (assuming the calculations were made by a computer, leaving no room for error).

The problem with this is that this method of testing would not guarantee that, by the RE method of reckoning heading, that plane would be flying straight under the assumption of a globular Earth.  Thus, the approximated headings must be accounted for on a RE map also, to see which accurately predicts the pilot's final endpoint.

In other words, we're running an experiment to test both hypotheses simultaneously; either the pilot will hit an ice wall (or be shot down by the government for the attempt), or end up wherever the calculated trajectory (on a RE map) would take him or her.

I think that would about cover it. Any thoughts?

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2006, 06:46:33 PM »
That would cover it.  Now head on out and do it, then prove to me that you did so and no government interfered.  Then we'll talk.   :wink:

The Plane Truth
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2006, 10:16:36 PM »
anybody out there got a plane, a FE map, and a few million they'd like to donate to see if the earth is flat or not?

The Plane Truth
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2006, 03:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "the_ebola_virus"
Quote from: "Goethe"
The theory of gravity is flawed. I believe in intelligent falling.

Oh please.  That'd be the second most absurd theory I've learned of today.  Well, the third I know of, if you count intelligent design, but I had heard about that one before today.

Word.

anybody out there got a plane, a FE map, and a few million they'd like to donate to see if the earth is flat or not?

Yes, it's funny how they claim to be right, but none of them lift a finger to prove it.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

The Plane Truth
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »

Yes, it's funny how they claim to be right, but none of them lift a finger to prove it.

haha
and a cruise to antarctica. it would make a nice family holiday and it would answer those nagging flat-earth questions, but they just wont do it.
tf?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
The Plane Truth
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »
Quote from: "Ezkerraldean"
and a cruise to antarctica. it would make a nice family holiday and it would answer those nagging flat-earth questions, but they just wont do it.

At least some of us have agreed to go, provided you fund it and we choose the schedule.