My Computer Has A Soul

• 165 Replies
Re: My Computer Has A Soul
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
29 replies in a little over an hour....  Not one thing substantial from any of ya's

Think I'll check back in a day or so, allow you all to collaborate on maybe one intelligent debate or rebuttal.
Try not to get dizzy as you spin in circles trying to explain a theory that is based on complete stupidity and ZERO FACTS.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
29 replies in a little over an hour....  Not one thing substantial from any of ya's

Think I'll check back in a day or so, allow you all to collaborate on maybe one intelligent debate or rebuttal.

Well in that day or so please at least come up with something not inanely retarded.
I probably could have refuted any of your points (and did refute a few) we just like the bar set above 7th grade.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 03:29:51 PM »

Hello? I was trying to but then you got distracted with childish name calling

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
savants and autistic....have mutations in their genes, they do not realize what they are calculating, there is a big difference between knowing what your doing, and doing something without thinking.  If you cannot control your calculations then they are un usable, making them irrelevant and pointless.

Like I said, sapience makes us think this. Sapience doesn't prove a soul.

The reason I made the point of savants is because their code is different. Their "act of learning" code isn't the same as others. They have the ability to process information, but only certain information. This would be the equivalent of a poorly formed input system that doesn't take in certain variables.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 04:18:12 PM »
This thread is to demonstrate that anything can be debated endlessly, regardless of how absurd what your debating may be.

The example I am choosing to use is my computer.

The challenge is to you!  Any of you who wish to actually debate.

The claim: 

My computer has a soul, and can think for itself.

I welcome all half witted challengers, as well as the truly scientific minded to convince me, that my computer is nothing more then a pile of electronics and plastic.

Virus programming. /thread

so your fragmented sentence is your debate?  Try not to over analyze the subject would ya?

A - Define a soul.

B - A machine overrun with strong code can act on its own volition.

C - There is nothing to debate.

A:  since you are too handicapped to look it up in webster:

Main Entry: 1soul
Pronunciation: 'sOl
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English soule, from Old English sAwol; akin to Old High German sEula soul
1 : the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life
2 a : the spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe b capitalized, Christian Science : GOD 1b
3 : a person's total self
4 a : an active or essential part b : a moving spirit : LEADER
5 a : the moral and emotional nature of human beings b : the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment c : spiritual or moral force : FERVOR
6 : PERSON <not a soul in sight>
7 : PERSONIFICATION <she is the soul of integrity>

B.  A computer overun with strong code...???  That code came from where?  Thin Air?  I think not.  A HUMAN wrote the code.

C.  That's what I think about your Flat Earth Theory!   

A - I didn't say give me an opinion from a book. I said define a soul. You were speaking of your computer first having, then not having, a soul. Therefore, your entire thread is a pisstake designed to validate your purpose on the board, from your own perspective. Shallow gene pool, with gerbils drowning in it.

B - I made no mention about where virus code on said machine came from. Branching from your answer was your own mentally deficient decision, not my own. Thus, you are arguing with yourself. Again, Shallow gene pool, with gerbils drowning in it.

C - Flat Earth Theory is not my theory, and thus what you think about it has no relevance to my reality. I do not believe the Earth is flat, therefore what you think is, again, a gerbil, drowning within the shallow pool of its genes.

D - This thread belongs in complete nonsense.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 04:19:32 PM »
Of course it has a soul - but the real question:

Does it dream of electric sheep?

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
Of course it has a soul - but the real question:

Does it dream of electric sheep?

Finally, a post that has meat on it. Baah Baah!

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
My Computer does not have a soul. I was planning on picking one up at CompUSA, but they were all out. :(

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »
No one has claimed the prize for the Turing test.  So if your computer has a soul then go take the test and collect the prize.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »
No one has claimed the prize for the Turing test.  So if your computer has a soul then go take the test and collect the prize.   
So you say something must be "intelligent" to have a soul? 

Do you have anything to backup your outlandish claims?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:39 PM »
It is my personal belief that anything, whether animate or inanimate, has the potential to possess a soul.  Who is anybody to argue that your computer doesn't have a soul?  Maybe my computer has a soul, too.  Since a soul isn't something that can be tangibly observed how can we be so presumptuous to believe that only we possess one as human beings, or even as living creatures?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
This thread definitely has no soul. In fact, it's purpose died in the mind (small) of its creator, and is now a placenta, rotting on the floor of a mad doctor's study.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »
tl;dr

this is shit

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »
Really, there is no rational reason to believe that souls exist at all.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:27 PM »
So you say something must be "intelligent" to have a soul? 

Its artifical-intelligents. 
A computer cannot think for itself.  No matter how many viruses it has. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
Technically, we're all just machines.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 10:55:39 PM »

A computer alone cannot think for itself. The software/firmware tells it what to think and say. Technically, it could think for itself provided it was programmed really complexly.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »

A computer alone cannot think for itself. The software/firmware tells it what to think and say. Technically, it could think for itself provided it was programmed really complexly.

Thats what the Turing test is for. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »
It's something that could happen in the near future, assuming it hasn't happened already.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 11:16:05 PM »
Thats what the Turing test is for. 

Basically, ya.

It's something that could happen in the near future, assuming it hasn't happened already.

"As of 2007, no computer has passed the Turing test as such. Simple conversational programs such as ELIZA have fooled people into believing they are talking to another human being, such as in an informal experiment termed AOLiza. However, such "successes" are not the same as a Turing Test."

It would take an incredible programmer to just pass the Turing test. Advanced AI would be even farther down the line.
objectively good

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2007, 11:23:23 PM »
You dipshits obviously have never learned what AI actually is. It is not a Stephen Speilburg movie. It is a process by which a machine can reason on it's own. There is an entire fucking Scientific BODY behind this.

The data presented here is a Trojan Horse. It is false. It is pretentious. It is, to be brutal, pathetically predictable and transparent.

Fucking morons. *goes and does something less ignorant*
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:25:10 PM by Midnight »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »
You dipshits obviously have never learned what AI actually is. It is not a Stephen Speilburg movie. It is a process by which a machine can reason on it's own. There is an entire fucking Scientific BODY behind this.

The data presented here is a Trojan Horse. It is false. It is pretentious. It is, to be brutal, pathetically predictable and transparent.

I believe you meant to say you have no idea what the fuck is going on.
Please go and do something so you don't spew your shit int his thread.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 12:13:35 AM »

Who is this mess directed towards?

"The term artificial intelligence (AI) was first used by John McCarthy who used it to mean "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines".[1] It can also refer to intelligence as exhibited by an artificial (man-made, non-natural, manufactured) entity. While AI is the generally accepted term, others, including both Computational intelligence and Synthetic intelligence, have been proposed as potentially being "more accurate".[2] The terms strong and weak AI can be used to narrow the definition for classifying such systems. AI is studied in overlapping fields of computer science, psychology, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, and engineering, dealing with intelligent behavior, learning, and adaptation and usually developed using customized machines or computers."

Were we talking about something else?
objectively good

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 12:37:28 AM »
Not directed toward Divito, nor Roundy, nor anyone but Encycolpedia-Know-It-All-ica.

Sokarul, see my thread "Neo-Charlatans" for your bitch slap.

As for the "Advanced AI" comment, lookup the Honda Robot AI team. It can outperform you on many tests (and tasks). Then we will talk shop. Until then, enjoy the belief you have any concept of what the fuck you are debating about.

And for the record, I have been in this thread since it began, Suckanut. I have watched with first amusement, then horror at how ignorant the conversation became. You are the star of this Intelligence Demise.

*goes to sleep with a sincere sneer of contempt for fools*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:59:58 AM by Midnight »

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 01:10:54 AM »
Mm, are you referring to ASIMO? I haven't noted any other Honda developments being reported. And I was speaking of more advanced than even that. Have a good sleep.
objectively good

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 03:31:39 AM »
However, I'm not even talking about intelligence or sentience.   You can't just say "something has a soul if its intelligent or sentient." 

And so I ask again,

Anyways, as far as AI goes, I think people would  much rather have a proof for  P = NP than something that passes the turing test or a robot that can learn to walk.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:46:43 AM by Username »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 03:44:55 AM »
B.  A computer overun with strong code...???  That code came from where?  Thin Air?  I think not.  A HUMAN wrote the code.
It could be random data.

Many artificial life experiments start with random or semi-random data.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 05:02:33 AM »
You can't just say "something has a soul if its intelligent or sentient." 

I can say anything I wish. I didn't say that however. I was talking about sentience and not a soul. We already established earlier on that this thread has no purpose regarding that discussion. No living person on this planet can DEFINE WHAT A SOUL IS, and none of you have certainly done that lofty milestone.

Thus, nothing said in this thread has any possible way to be defeated, or won, because none of you CAN DEFINE WHAT A SOUL IS, AND THUS CANNOT ASSIGN ONE TO ANYTHING!

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 05:25:31 AM »
You can't just say "something has a soul if its intelligent or sentient." 

I can say anything I wish. I didn't say that however. I was talking about sentience and not a soul. We already established earlier on that this thread has no purpose regarding that discussion. No living person on this planet can DEFINE WHAT A SOUL IS, and none of you have certainly done that lofty milestone.

Thus, nothing said in this thread has any possible way to be defeated, or won, because none of you CAN DEFINE WHAT A SOUL IS, AND THUS CANNOT ASSIGN ONE TO ANYTHING!
I can define anything I wish.

Edit:

And from what I've read of your posts, you should neither be one to criticize prententiousness or to claim you know more about AI than anyone else here.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 05:27:54 AM by Username »

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 05:56:58 AM »
What is a soul?