« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »
Kenny sounds more appropriate.
Curat murdar, Coane Fanica!

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
Re: Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »
Why would you believe something, if there was no evidence to support that belief?  Is that rational?  Is that scientific?
Never said it was. I just said it is irrational to scream that there is absolute proof god doesn't exist. That statement is a one way street.

Nobody in this topic, or in any debate I have ever seen has claimed that there is absolute proof that God does not exist.  In fact do make such a claim would be completely unscientific, and you'd have to question the credentials of the person because science doesn't "prove" things and and because you can't have direct absolute evidence for the non existence of something (unless you're specific).  Your argument is completely a strawman argument; you're attacking a position that nobody actually holds.

It's all very well to continually go on about how there is no evidence that God does not exist etc. but that's ignoring the bigger question, which is the question I asked; if there is no evidence that something does or does not exist, why would you draw the conclusion that it does exist?  That would be entirely irrational.  On the other hand, looking for something and not finding it is consistent with theory that it does not exist, and it makes sense to assume this is the case until you find contrary evidence; especially when there are thousands of specific religious beliefs that you can disprove (for example the ancient Greek belief that the sky was held up off the ground by Atlas).  We can be confident enough that beliefs like this are false, and we can understand why people develop religious views and how they developed; we can explain most of the process naturally, and we can test our theory and the outcomes match the predictions.  All this doesn't say that God doesn't exist, but it is rational when there are two explanations, and one is supported by evidence and is based on the extrapolation of observations, even indirectly, while the other is not based on evidence at all, and gives us no reason why we should think it's correct, to chose the former.  Of course it's entirely possible that God actually does exist, and our assumption is wrong, but given the knowledge that we do have, the only decision we can make, is that it is far more likely that God does not exist, than she does.

Check the link a couple pages back. This "scientist" was claiming scientific proof that god doesn't exist because the universe "looks like it wasn't created".

That was what we were debating originally.

beast

« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2007, 11:21:30 PM »
I'm sorry, I must be blind.  I've read through every post in this topic, and see no links to any scientists claiming that they have definite proof that God does not exist.  Can you please provide a more accurate description of where this post that you're attempt to refute is.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »
I'm sorry, I must be blind.  I've read through every post in this topic, and see no links to any scientists claiming that they have definite proof that God does not exist.  Can you please provide a more accurate description of where this post that you're attempt to refute is.
Lol my bad. Wrong thread. I combined this one and another one in my head cuz they were similar. Sorry about that.

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2016, 01:34:57 AM »
Doesn't evolution also imply that humans were created from dirt?

Actually no.  Darwin never theorized how life began.  More likely life began from water, and very likely evolved, or at least moved along quicker than otherwise, because the earth is round and the moon revolves around it, causing the tides.  The change in tides caused receding water to form shallow puddles at low tide, the better to develop cellular life that breathed oxygen, and eventually came out of the sea onto land.