"28 Days Later, What Would You Do?"

• 51 Replies

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
"28 Days Later, What Would You Do?"
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
I just got done watching 28 Days later, and I am now watching 28 Weeks later. These films are without a doubt some of the most disturbing entertainments I have seen in many moons. It isn't the gore, or the scares that pop up, but the idealism behind this kind of medium.

I mean think about what it would be like, in any number of possible perspectives on this type of situation. I mean, waking up from a coma, or something, and finding, say, Austin Texas, or Los Angeles, seemingly abandoned.

Would you assume the Rapture had happened? Would you totally raid the Toys R Us, take some toys, then go find a generator, break into a house on some hill overlooking the madness and play xbox, oblivious to the thoughts about what CAUSED it all? Would you seek food? And what if you started seeing the scurrying, screaming infected running around from your vantage point? Would Would you commit suicide? Would you lose your mind?

If I found myself in this situation, this is how Mids would handle it:

First, I would arm myself to the TEETH. I would destroy any and all life forms that came near me, infected or not. I would have no ties to anyone or anything at this point. This would be a situation where it is me, or you. I choose me. I would raid Pawn shops, anything I could think of, and make myself a walking death commando. I would create a stronghold in a location NOT previously used as dwellings. I would locate the nearest National Guard armory, or something along those lines, and become the definition of "mad old hermit".

But in the spirit of me, the mids, it wouldn't be a prudent action on my part, without some sadistic letting off of some steam. Anyone who has seen the recent remake of 'dawn of the dead' will recall some of the characters sniping the crowd of the fucked up people, for shits and giggles. That would be me. I would go out on 'hunts' and clean my area. Doesn't matter who it was, if they were infected, they were going to eat lead. If they weren't infected, I would warn them once, fire a warning, then end the debate. Survival is about not second guessing yourself. I rarely do.

Well, not only would I make my stand in a secure location, I would make the entire area a death trap for any living thing that came within 200 yards of the area. I would wire the doors, the windows would be flash welded, and there would be a doomsday (ironic) protocol in place whereby, if my sanctuary were breached, overrun, etc., I would take the entire radius of my little abode to hell with me, and as many of those mother fuckers as I possibly could.

I would boil my water, captured in the usual ways as I was taught throughout my life. I would greenhouse my own vegetables, and stockpile dried meat, nuts, grains, and burn everything that was used up, in a large area AWAY from my stronghold. I would maintain silence in the day, and vigil in the night, and would maintain a constant sweep of the enrvirons.

If anything got in, of course reality would have to take root. It is a nice fantasy, to assume that I would be prepared. Although I have training in survival and  combat, I am not a veteran and would not be 100% on top of my game. However, one thing we were taught is, the mind is the most powerful weapon you possess. The infected people in those movies are cunning like animals, and are dangerous because of their adrenaline, sheer numbers, etc., but they are mindless machines of destruction. Thus, they can be used against themselves.

This is what mids would do, until the bitter fucking end. If I was about to face insurmountable odds, I would KAMIKAZE. I fear nothing but dying on my ass.

What about you guys?
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
Re: "28 Days Later, What Would You Do?"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:12:33 AM »
First, find a nice, big house to set up camp. Not necessarily a MANSION, because you might lose yourself trying to familiarize with the place, but I nice-sized house with a good view of the surrounding land, preferably. I'd toss anything that I didn't need out the window, and try my best to familiarize myself with the location, seeing as this would end up being my home base of operations. Then, jack a good car and head into the city, and arm myself. Shotguns, pistols, whatever I can take with me, and plenty of ammo for all of it. Like mids said, nobody's a friend anymore. Fight for survival. Then I'd head over to the grocery store and jack whatever I can fit in my car, minus a little bit of room for some personal items I might want to use. I'd also grab a map of the city, and make sure I know exactly where everything is when I get to home base.

Once I've got all my groceries stocked, and guns at hand, I'd head over to the local home improvement place, and grab whatever I think will be useful. Some metal beams and stuff for fortification, plenty of wood for palisades, a good shovel, etcetera. If I can jack a jackhammer from somewhere, that's good too.

When I get home, fortification. Blow the heads off of anything that comes near me while I'm fortifying the location, and build some palisade walls out of wood, some reinforced walls behind that, and a nice trench to slow them. Eventually, the fortifications will be more intricate, with maybe some cameras set up, and automatically-firing guns so that I don't have to do all the work myself anymore.

So, after fortifications have been made on my base, and everything is fine and dandy, I'd head over to a hospital, and make sure that I'm perfectly in-tune, and then head to the lab. Carefully grab some testing supplies. Any other lab supplies would be helpful, because basically, I'm going to make my own laboratory. Of course, I'd check the internet and basically devote myself to studying what could possibly cause this infection to spread. I'd also check the net for any survivors, just out of curiosity, and out of possible networking with them. Of course, I'd be very wary of any "partners" because they just might screw me over. Still, it might be lonely without the company, and going insane is bad when you're trying to survive.

Basically, after extensive fortifications, I'd just hole myself up and attempt to figure out what caused this. I'm sure samples wouldn't be hard to find, so I can pretty much test them for whatever. Maybe even set up some traps to catch live ones and monitor their activity. Somehow, I'm going to figure out what the fuck is up.

~D-Draw

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 01:18:40 AM »
Interesting, D. However, what makes you believe the internet would be accessible, since the power company would most likely be null, and the ISP would have long since been abandoned, torn up, etc?

:P

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:32:40 AM »
First, I would arm myself to the TEETH. I would destroy any and all life forms that came near me, infected or not. I would have no ties to anyone or anything at this point. This would be a situation where it is me, or you. I choose me. I would raid Pawn shops, anything I could think of, and make myself a walking death commando. I would create a stronghold in a location NOT previously used as dwellings. I would locate the nearest National Guard armory, or something along those lines, and become the definition of "mad old hermit".

I would arm myself, but unless you find the PERFECT spot away from EVERYTHING (which would pretty much be Tibet), staying in one spot is a bad idea (even a National Guard base, or similar place of high military importance).  The main reason being that when just one of the infected finds you, it is only matter of time before more and more come--and they won't stop after that.

The best bet is something out in the middle of nowhere.  Possibly a multistoried farmhouse, which you should knock out the stairway that leads to the second floor, and use a rope or retractable ladder to travel to the main floor.

Don't bother trying to fortify the house.  They will get in unless you have that place reinforced like a fallout shelter, and the more fortifications you have to keep things from getting in, the harder it is for you to get out.  And you will need to get out sooner or later, be it for food and other supplies, or just to move on to the next place.

I really advise against the whole "hermit" thing as well.  As hard as it is to bear losing someone you become close to during the crisis, strength in numbers is very relevant.  Although, more people can also mean the increased possibility that one will be attacked, and means you will require more supplies so only small groups of four or five people are probably best.

The one thing that I like about the 28 Days Later universe, is that the infected eventually lose energy and die, which leaves plenty of opportunity to survive, you just gotta play your cards right and stay out of obviously dangerous situations.

However, in traditional walking dead scenarios (especially George Romero's, where the zombies actually grow more intelligent over time), it is imperative to have support from others for survival.  On your own, you are dead meat (eventually, quite literally).

I'd probably have more to say, but I'm tired.  Either way, the Zombie Survival Guide is an excellent source for survival in these situations.  :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 01:35:46 AM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:34:52 AM »

I would arm myself, but unless you find the PERFECT spot away from EVERYTHING, staying in one spot is a bad idea (even a National Guard base, or similar place of high military importance).  The main reason being that when just one of the infected finds you, it is only matter of time before more and more come--and they won't stop after that.

The best bet is something out in the middle of nowhere.  Possibly a multistoried farmhouse, which you should knock out the stairway that leads to the second floor, and use a rope or retractable ladder to travel to the main floor.

Don't bother trying to fortify the house.  They will get in unless you have that place reinforced like a fallout shelter, and the more fortifications you have to keep things from getting in, the harder it is for you to get out.  And you will need to get out sooner or later, be it for food and other supplies, or just to move on to the next place.

I really advise against the whole "hermit" thing as well.  As hard as it is to bear losing someone you become close to during the crisis, strength in numbers is very relevant.  Although, more people can also mean the increased possibility that one will be attacked, and means you will require more supplies so only small groups of four or five people are probably best.

The one thing that I like about the 28 Days Later universe, is that the infected eventually lose energy and die, which leaves plenty of opportunity to survive, you just gotta play your cards right and stay out of obviously dangerous situations.

However, in traditional walking dead scenarios (especially George Romero's, where the zombies actually grow more intelligent over time), it is imperative to have support from others for survival.  On your own, you are dead meat (eventually, quite literally).

I'd probably have more to say, but I'm tired.  Either way, the Zombie Survival Guide is an excellent source for survival in these situations.  :D

Fucking ship at sea. LOL

But anyhoo, I would pick out a perfect spot, preferably one only accessible from 2 or less sides.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:36:22 AM »
Die of starvation, or die from being eaten?  :D
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:36:57 AM »
Die of starvation, or die from being eaten?  :D

What?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »
Referring mostly to your ship at sea comment.  That plan only works if you're on some container ship with a lifetime supply of food ;D  (That's actually an interesting idea.  I should write a short story about that)

As for "only accessible by one or two sides," what do you mean?  I've never seen a one or two sided building.  XP
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:27 AM »
Referring mostly to your ship at sea comment.  That plan only works if you're on some container ship with a lifetime supply of food ;D

Do you know how to fish, clean and cook meals from the sea? :P And what of making port across it, restocking in a safe area, and if none exists, the first option? :P

As for "only accessible by one or two sides," what do you mean?  I've never seen a one or two sided building.

Ever seen a bomb shelter in the side of a mountain? Retired missle silos? Natural caverns? The automotive department at Wal-Mart (grin!)? Abandoned county lockups? Muntions Depot on Airbases? Airbases? Bank vaults? :P

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:08 AM »
Referring mostly to your ship at sea comment.  That plan only works if you're on some container ship with a lifetime supply of food ;D

Do you know how to fish, clean and cook meals from the sea? :P And what of making port across it, restocking in a safe area, and if none exists, the first option? :P

True enough.  There is something I want to mention about fish not having enough fat to fully sustain human life, but I don't remember exactly what the deal is, but a diet of high protein and very little fat ends up bad.  Need to catch the episode of Survivorman where Les Stroud describes it again.  :P

As for "only accessible by one or two sides," what do you mean?  I've never seen a one or two sided building.

Ever seen a bomb shelter in the side of a mountain? Retired missle silos? Natural caverns? The automotive department at Wal-Mart (grin!)? Abandoned county lockups? Muntions Depot on Airbases? Airbases? Bank vaults? :P

One way in or out means that if they get in, you have nowhere to go.  I stand by my suggestion of a second story of a house with the stairway knocked out.  At the very least if the place gets stormed by infected, you can jump out a window and run like hell.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 02:17:44 AM »
True enough.  There is something I want to mention about fish not having enough fat to fully sustain human life, but I don't remember exactly what the deal is, but a diet of high protein and very little fat ends up bad.  Need to catch the episode of Survivorman where Les Stroud describes it again.  :P

You mistook "fish" as only catching fish. There is fat at sea, you just have to find it. Whales, for example. Stock up on fatty stuff, wait out the starvation of the damned, then make landfall, bag some deer, make venison jerky, cold pack it in dry ice if you feel the need for steak later. Crabs carry more than just protein. Shark meat is sinewy but filled with fatty acids. Kelp has more protein and iron in a strand than 10 pounds of peanut butter. I could go on, but you get my point. The sea can sustain a man indefinitely, if that man knows how to milk it. Seawater can also be made pure with various processes. Not to mention, urine can be boiled and cleansed.

As for "only One way in or out means that if they get in, you have nowhere to go.  I stand by my suggestion of a second story of a house with the stairway knocked out.  At the very least if the place gets stormed by infected, you can jump out a window and run like hell.

I never run.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:19:18 AM by Midnight »

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
I never run.

Stick with your boat idea if you plan on surviving then.  :P
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 02:32:26 AM »
I never run.

Stick with your boat idea if you plan on surviving then.  :P

Alright I will give ground a little. My main intention in this worst case scenario is, I am going to go out in a bang. I will last as long as I have to. I suppose even bothering is pointless, given I have no eternal life fantasy, so maybe I would just play Xbox a while, shoot some old enemies who became feral, and end it with a boom boom.

Either way, I would die on my feet :P  Everyone dies. How many get to go down head shotting random people? LOL

?

JackASCII

• Bitches love me.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 08:49:47 AM »
Die. Why bother. I might road trip to Vegas for some slots first.
Yes, quite.  No one would ever claim to be someone they're not in their profile name.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:47 AM »
I'd try, and probably fail, to wire myself up with as much explosive material that I can find, set a timer for a couple hours, and run into a mob of infected.
OMG!

?

noon

• Only Smarties have the answer.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 10:41:34 AM »
A lighthouse would afford a good view, and would be remote too.  Fishing trips out to sea in a boat, or along the coast for supplies when needed.  Of course, stocking up is an obvious option, as is arming yourself to the teeth.  If you want to survive, you have to look out for yourself first.  In the lighthouse, you can use a sniper rifle to keep away unwanted 'visitors', and you can even riddle the water with mines, if you can find them.  A coastal vantage point is also useful if you are attacked en masse.  Have an escape boat ready, and you can sail off to another area if you are over-run.
Poop.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »
A lighthouse would afford a good view, and would be remote too.  Fishing trips out to sea in a boat, or along the coast for supplies when needed.  Of course, stocking up is an obvious option, as is arming yourself to the teeth.  If you want to survive, you have to look out for yourself first.  In the lighthouse, you can use a sniper rifle to keep away unwanted 'visitors', and you can even riddle the water with mines, if you can find them.  A coastal vantage point is also useful if you are attacked en masse.  Have an escape boat ready, and you can sail off to another area if you are over-run.

• Light house is another one of those "one exit only" buildings.  Unless you plan on making that ten story leap to your death, you might want something with some more options.
  • If you do choose to still use the lighthouse, for Allah's sake don't use the beacon.  Zombies are more or less braindead, but the beacon still announces to them "Guess what, someone is here!"
  • Riddle the water with mines?  The 28 Days Later "infected" are still humans.  There's no point, because they'd all drown.  And in a Romeroesque zombie situation, they'd only use the water if it was the only way to get what the collective needs, and there's no point to going through the water in your scenario.  In short, it would be a waste of time to put those mines out there when you could be foraging for food or protection.
Anyone else?  :D
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 12:25:01 PM »
Sleep.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »

• Light house is another one of those "one exit only" buildings.  Unless you plan on making that ten story leap to your death, you might want something with some more options.
  • If you do choose to still use the lighthouse, for Allah's sake don't use the beacon.  Zombies are more or less braindead, but the beacon still announces to them "Guess what, someone is here!"
  • Riddle the water with mines?  The 28 Days Later "infected" are still humans.  There's no point, because they'd all drown.  And in a Romeroesque zombie situation, they'd only use the water if it was the only way to get what the collective needs, and there's no point to going through the water in your scenario.  In short, it would be a waste of time to put those mines out there when you could be foraging for food or protection.

You're just being preachy to hide the fact you have no plan. LOL. Zombies can tell from a lighthouse that someone is there? Then what? The surf would batter em, the undertow would suck em off, and my sniper rifle would make their head into chunky soup. One exit? Are you mad? A lighthouse is almost ALWAYS located on an island of some sort, the smaller the better. Fuck all that, they cannot swim through the sea fast enough to overrun my ass...LOL
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:57:30 PM by Midnight »

?

noon

• Only Smarties have the answer.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »

You're just being preachy to hide the fact you have no plan. LOL. Zombies can tell from a lighthouse that someone is there? Then what? The surf would batter em, the undertow would suck em off, and my sniper rifle would make their head into chunky soup. One exit? Are you mad? A lighthouse is almost ALWAYS located on an island of some sort, the smaller the better. Fuck all that, they cannot swim through the sea fast enough to overrun my ass...LOL

*One exit, also one entrance, which can be guarded a lot easier.  You only have to set up one sniper point to cover it.  May I add a parachute to my arsenal?
*I won't be using the beacon, I'm not braindead!!  :P
*I was also thinking of the zombies in the new Dawn of the Dead.  You gotta plan for every eventuality.  Not mining the waters is asking for trouble.

As Mids says, they can't get to you before you can pick them off.

Poop.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »

I'm not preachy.  Can you blame me for anticipating the worst case scenario?  One entrance and exit means that if you do get overrun, you are done for.  I'd rather have safe alternatives than to get stuck at the top of a lighthouse with no way but down--either jumping, or down through a stair well crawling with chaps that want to have me for dinner.

I don't believe that you are as good with sniping as you claim, but I think you're smart enough to know that sniping isn't just pointing and shooting.  Bullets follow an arc, much like an arrow from a bow, and you must also account for wind--which the further you are away from your target, the more even the slightest breeze has effect on your bullets.  Five mile an hour wind can make all the difference from a perfect shot between the eyes, and a graze across the cheek.

Of course, this is assuming that you aren't a trained sniper and don't know precisely what you're doing.  Though I'm sure that even the best sniper in the world can't shoot for shit in gale force winds, and out in a lighthouse you are sure to get some of the worst winds possible.

Secondly, it's true that some lighthouses are on small islands, sometimes man-made, but I was assuming a lighthouse on a peninsula, which most of them I have seen have been on peninsulas.  Of course, these were mostly out in California, and the coast out there isn't all that islandy.  I'm sure I saw some when I was in Florida, but I was only six years old and can't say I remember.

*One exit, also one entrance, which can be guarded a lot easier.  You only have to set up one sniper point to cover it.  May I add a parachute to my arsenal?
*I won't be using the beacon, I'm not braindead!!  :P
*I was also thinking of the zombies in the new Dawn of the Dead.  You gotta plan for every eventuality.  Not mining the waters is asking for trouble.

As Mids says, they can't get to you before you can pick them off.

As I said before, one entrance/exit means that if it does get compromised, you are screwed.  I can't emphasize that enough.

Unless it's a one of those thrown chutes that BASE jumbers use, it won't do much good from a 100 foot lighthouse (give or take 50 feet), and even then you don't have much time for the chute to slow your fall, so you're looking at likely a broken leg or worse.  I don't imagine they are normally tall enough for a chute to open safely.

And I think you're actually thinking of Land of the Dead, not Dawn.  The zombies in Dawn never went in water.

ANYWAY, either way, the lighthouse idea is only relevant for folks near the coast.  Or near a lighthouse, for that matter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:58:25 PM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

JackASCII

• Bitches love me.
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
Tunica is closer so I guess I'd go there for slots. I'd play for a hour or two, then I'd raid the bar and get ripped while I shoot zombies with my already owned weaponry until they killed my ass. Fuck all that postapocolyptic survivalist bullshit. I'm going down in a bloody heap,
Yes, quite.  No one would ever claim to be someone they're not in their profile name.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »
I'd try to survive as long as I can.  I would probably rather give a Beretta a blowjob before I let myself get ripped to shreds, though.

By the way, this is pretty much the best topic to ever come to FES.  I love discussing end of world scenarios.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:37:04 PM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »
I'm not preachy.  Can you blame me for anticipating the worst case scenario?  One entrance and exit means that if you do get overrun, you are done for.

And again, there is not ONE exit from a light house, you dunderhead. :P A lighthouse  I would choose would be SURROUNDED by sea. I live an hour from Galveston. Zombies, angry diseased people, are not going to run, march, and gorge their way up to me without me seeing them. The sea will do most of the work for me. LOL!

I don't believe that you are as good with sniping as you claim, but I think you're smart enough to know that sniping isn't just pointing and shooting.  Bullets follow an arc, much like an arrow from a bow, and you must also account for wind--which the further you are away from your target, the more even the slightest breeze has effect on your bullets.  Five mile an hour wind can make all the difference from a perfect shot between the eyes, and a graze across the cheek.

Of course, this is assuming that you aren't a trained sniper and don't know precisely what you're doing.  Though I'm sure that even the best sniper in the world can't shoot for shit in gale force winds, and out in a lighthouse you are sure to get some of the worst winds possible.

I never said I was a sniper, I said I would snipe at them. Snipers are never given that title until they use it in the field. I am not a field-tested shot, but I qualified  (one does not simply point and shoot into Mordor (qualify for sniper school) :D

Gale force winds? Explain to me, captain keen, how ZOMBIES, or disease crazed hooligans, HUMANS, are gonna run up to me, surrounded by storms, while I am shooting at them? Fuck the velocity, wind shear, omg you noob, bullshit. Pointing a gun, and shooting it, is about all you need. Sniping would have no purpose in this situation, as, again, the sea would do all (or most) of my work for me. I just would have fun with it. No, not every shot, even were I the best sniper on planet earth, would connect, but it would be fun. FUN, Nomad, FUN! :P  I would have FUN with them! LOL!

Secondly, it's true that some lighthouses are on small islands, sometimes man-made, but I was assuming a lighthouse on a peninsula, which most of them I have seen have been on peninsulas.  Of course, these were mostly out in California, and the coast out there isn't all that islandy.  I'm sure I saw some when I was in Florida, but I was only six years old and can't say I remember.

Islandy? Is that even a word, Nomad? LAWL.

No, an atoll to GET around first, laced with mines, tripwire, whatever sadistic fuck thing I wanted. The lighthouse would be surrounded on all sides by sea, rocks, razor wire, automated turrets I could control from the pinnacle of my little lighthouse (a visit to radioshack and to old surplus fleamarkets, Texas is overrun with such things, for munitions and toys), and I would SNIPE and toss grenades, and have a hootin' time. If the fucks somehow overwhelmed me, I would zip line down to my awaiting sea yacht 'Pride & Arrogance' and sail the fuck away to my next hideout.

As I said before, one entrance/exit means that if it does get compromised, you are screwed.  I can't emphasize that enough.

Unless it's a one of those thrown chutes that BASE jumbers use, it won't do much good from a 100 foot lighthouse (give or take 50 feet), and even then you don't have much time for the chute to slow your fall, so you're looking at likely a broken leg or worse.  I don't imagine they are normally tall enough for a chute to open safely.

The parachute idea has merit, but not as an escape vector. Instead, use it (or a cluster of them) as blankets, covered in the most flammable substances you can find, and "carpet" the crowd, then show them what Christmas is like in July.  8)

And I think you're actually thinking of Land of the Dead, not Dawn.  The zombies in Dawn never went in water.

I have no idea what that post was in response to.

ANYWAY, either way, the lighthouse idea is only relevant for folks near the coast.  Or near a lighthouse, for that matter.

Yes because at the end of society as we know it, we would all migrate into the CENTER of a continent to escape death. The last frontier to us planetside, the sea, would be our only escape from a horde of crazed, diseased, hungry non-persons. Sharks (and worse), tidal forces, undertow, would all help bring down a mob. Zombies? They have to eat. In the sea, they would get eaten. Infected? They cannot breathe underwater. They would starve to death marching into the sea like idiots. And let's not forget, after I escape my little island of rock and lighthouse, DEPTH CHARGES.

Nope, I will not be stopped.  :D

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
I'd try to survive as long as I can.  I would probably rather give a Beretta a blowjob before I let myself get ripped to shreds, though.

By the way, this is pretty much the best topic to ever come to FES.  I love discussing end of world scenarios.

History in the making. As usual, mids is around to witness it. :D

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »
I was having fun with the conversation, and you have to be a dick.  Maybe it's the fact that I got stung in the face by a wasp today, but I'm not in the mood now.  Whatever.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 05:48:30 PM »
How am I being a dick? I am not insulting you, Nonad, I am trying to make you think through to conclusion on an interesting topic we both share an interest in.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »

Yes because at the end of society as we know it, we would all migrate into the CENTER of a continent to escape death. The last frontier to us planetside, the sea, would be our only escape from a horde of crazed, diseased, hungry non-persons. Sharks (and worse), tidal forces, undertow, would all help bring down a mob. Zombies? They have to eat. In the sea, they would get eaten. Infected? They cannot breathe underwater. They would starve to death marching into the sea like idiots. And let's not forget, after I escape my little island of rock and lighthouse, DEPTH CHARGES.

I meant that it is only a useful idea for anyone near the coast, or anywhere near a lighthouse for that matter.  For those of us smack dab in the middle of the continent, we don't quite have that "luxury".
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »

I meant that it is only a useful idea for anyone near the coast, or anywhere near a lighthouse for that matter.  For those of us smack dab in the middle of the continent, we don't quite have that "luxury".

Can you not make your way to the nearest coastline?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »
I could.  I'd much prefer being in a small group if I'm going to make stops for gas, though.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET