Religion Is Bad

• 57 Replies

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
Re: Religion Is Bad
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »
Religion isn't bad. People are bad. Never does it say "Love thy neighbour, unless they're gay, black or a woman. Burn them." In fact, I defy you to name a religion that actively discriminates like that. You can't use quotes, because gods don't write books, people do. Use rules.

The liberal religion disciminates like that. Pretending to be tolerant, while hating everyone with a different set of beliefs. The term 'homophobe' is such ridiculous irony, basically stating you can only have an opinion if it's the wrong one. I could laugh more comfortably at it if there weren't so many that didn't see that irony.

Jimmy Crackhorn

• Not the Physics Wiz everyone else seems to be here
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 11:30:12 PM »
Narc, I've never gotten to say this to you, but, that looks like Steve Martin in your avatar.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2007, 11:32:48 PM »
Narc, I've never gotten to say this to you, but, that looks like Steve Martin in your avatar.

Another Mids Prophecy fulfilled. :)
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

beast

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »
While I agree religion is bad, I think many people (in this topic) fall into the trap of putting forward dogmatic beliefs about religion, which aren't really backed up by evidence.  Dogmatism is really what I think is bad, and religion is just one example of a dogmatic belief.  There are plenty of others, that are equally as bad (maybe even worse, although I'm not sure if it's a linear scale).

The claim that "religion isn't bad, people are bad," seems to be a rather pointless argument.  Religion is people.  It's the beliefs of a mass of people.  When I say that I think religion is bad, I really mean the people doing the actions in the name of religion.  I don't think anybody who opposes religion actually believes that there is some kind of external entity called religion, that travels around looking for people and corrupting them.  Even if you think of religion as a meme, that's like saying; "serial killers aren't responsible for killing people, their serial killer gene is responsible."  Actually they are still responsible, and maybe the reason they performed serial killing was a gene, but we don't have the abilities to pull a gene out of a person, just like we don't have the abilities to pull memes out of peoples brains.  Religion is the people who follow it.  It is their actions that make it what it is.

Quote from: CandylandDominatrix
Religion is, in my opinion, a means to an end. It gets me what I want, through channels I can shorten as I see fit. I think that people, for the most part, are selfish, animal-like fiends, who divine their supposed 'rights' by preying on the inferior intellects of their peers, in order to attain gratification. I think religion is simply a tool of the sadistic, the perverse, and the insane.

This opinion strikes me as completely unfounded, dogmatic and false.  I would love to see the evidence you have that suggests this is true.  What you're claiming is that people essentially went out of their way to convince others of something they knew were false in order for their own benefit.  I would concede that might have happened in some instances, however the majority of the world is religious, and the majority of religious beliefs have every indication that they are genuine. 

In fact the evidence (I would point you towards Greg Paul and Phil Zuckerman) suggests two things.  First the vast majority of people follow religion because they were taught that it was true as children.  Almost all our dogmatic beliefs are formed in childhood, and 80% of people have the same religious belief as their parents.  Secondly people turn to religion, or become more religious as a way of trying to control parts of their life that are not controllable.  It has nothing to do with being sadistic, perverse or insane, but a completely natural and human instinct to prefer action over inaction.  Humans (and animals) that don't try and control their own "destiny" clearly have a survival disadvantage over humans that try their hardest to get a positive outcome for themselves.  The evidence suggests that praying doesn't work, but if you're praying about something serious, say surviving cancer, not only do you not lose anything by doing so, but if the person survives then their belief in the power of prayer is strengthened, and if it fails, they die and no scepticism in the power of prayer continues.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 09:43:50 AM »
I am uncertain where to even begin with this one...Hmmm...

First, you attack an argument that does not even exist within the confines of this thread, then you cross-post to attack another  (again, unrelated to this) and...Said approximately...dick?

You're losing it, Beast. (see below)

This opinion strikes me as completely unfounded, dogmatic and false.  I would love to see the evidence you have that suggests this is true.  What you're claiming is that people essentially went out of their way to convince others of something they knew were false in order for their own benefit.  I would concede that might have happened in some instances, however the majority of the world is religious, and the majority of religious beliefs have every indication that they are genuine.

Regarding the underlined text. Where the fuck have you been, IntegrityLand?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:46:16 AM by Midnight »

beast

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 09:45:50 AM »
I posted to say that many people were expressing dogmatic views about religion, I then addressed two such beliefs.  If you think that means I'm "losing it" then you're entitled to your opinions.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 09:46:49 AM »
I posted to say that many people were expressing dogmatic views about religion, I then addressed two such beliefs.  If you think that means I'm "losing it" then you're entitled to your opinions.

Your responses to this kind of shit are ALWAYS dogmatic. You are preaching to the fucking choir. Get bent.

?

redheadcurlyq92

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 02:29:53 PM »
May I ask what kind of religion youre talking about?  The term "religion" is such a general statement.  Most ppl have a religion whether they realize it or not - Christianity, atheism, buddhism, Islam, Catholicism, etc.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »
May I ask what kind of religion youre talking about?  The term "religion" is such a general statement.  Most ppl have a religion whether they realize it or not - Christianity, atheism, buddhism, Islam, Catholicism, etc.

Religion is religion.

?

Bushido

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »
At first, you would say, "No!  Religion has done a lot of good!"  But has it really?  If say, Mother Teresa had never heard of Jesus, would she have been not as generous?  Of course not.  Religion does not have a monopoly on good deeds, and I am tired of fundamentalists who say it does.  Think of the Salem Witch Trials.  Think of the homophobia, sexism, and racism inspired by religion.  Think of the terrible religious wars: the Crusades, the Israeli-Palestinian shenanigans, even the War in Iraq.  If there was no religion, people would still be good, and these horrible things would never have happened.

Blow me.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
At first, you would say, "No!  Religion has done a lot of good!"  But has it really?  If say, Mother Teresa had never heard of Jesus, would she have been not as generous?  Of course not.  Religion does not have a monopoly on good deeds, and I am tired of fundamentalists who say it does.  Think of the Salem Witch Trials.  Think of the homophobia, sexism, and racism inspired by religion.  Think of the terrible religious wars: the Crusades, the Israeli-Palestinian shenanigans, even the War in Iraq.  If there was no religion, people would still be good, and these horrible things would never have happened.

Blow me.

So you admit to having no leg to stand on.

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 07:07:57 PM »

The Salem Witch Trials? The Crusades? Somehow I don't think they are arguing about Confucianism. Maybe "The Creature" ought to stop beating around the bush and tell us why he hates Christians in particular.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2007, 08:25:36 AM »
The Salem Witch Trials? The Crusades? Somehow I don't think they are arguing about Confucianism. Maybe "The Creature" ought to stop beating around the bush and tell us why he hates Christians in particular.
It might be that he loathes their habit of leaning their beliefs via emotional blackmail upon others or it could be simply be that he believes their belief is stupid. I personally go for the former occasionally, although I don't hate Christians in general, it's their choice of belief and not any of my business.

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »
Religion is a human construct.  We are responsible for religion.  So basically, if religion causes wars and is evil, its because we cause wars and are evil.

You can't possibly prove to me if religion were to simply take a vacation tommorow that we wouldn't come up with something else to fight about or perhaps strengthen other biases we have towards other people.

I'm afraid I have a hard time swallowing that something we create is evil which we are completely innocent of.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »
I don't hate Christianity or it's practicers.  I simply think that it isn't hard to prove religion is incredibly stupid, so there should be more atheists.

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »
Without Christianity the world would be ignorant. You would not like the whole world to be like Japan would you?

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2007, 01:00:50 PM »
Because of religion most of the world is ignorant.

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
Because of Atheism most of the world is ignorant.

I fixed your error, no need to thank me.

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2007, 02:30:08 PM »
I don't hate Christianity or it's practicers.  I simply think that it isn't hard to prove religion is incredibly stupid, so there should be more atheists.

You may think faith is stupid, but its proven in even mental health cases that we all need to be deluded in our daily lives.  Many believe that depressed and paranoid people, though we think of them crazy / delusional, may infact simply be more realistic; viewing the world in stark realism.

A religion is something that merely allows many of us to view the world as a potentially better place than it is.  Its not necessary for one to do this, but it certainly helps.  And unless religion is used to simply further political agenda or as an attempt for conquest (current-day extremist Islam, former Christianity), there's no reason to condemn religion completely.

So really, who are you to judge how people should delude themselves?  We all do it someway or another; otherwise, what's the point of not killing ourselves when we wake up every morning?

I got kidnapped by Christianity and somehow they forced me to unwillingly believe in faith and forced me to reject reason and logic.  My life was ruined by religion.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:51:01 PM by Mephistopheles »
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2007, 07:41:08 AM »

I got kidnapped by Christianity and somehow they forced me to unwillingly believe in faith and forced me to reject reason and logic.  My life was ruined by religion.

Reason and Logic are the same thing as Christianity. Anyone who does not think a man from Heaven made the Earth in six days and made men out of clay and women out of ribs is ignorant! It is much easier to remember (and makes more sense!) than "evolution".

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 07:45:15 AM »

Reason and Logic are the same thing as Christianity. Anyone who does not think a man from Heaven made the Earth in six days and made men out of clay and women out of ribs is ignorant! It is much easier to remember (and makes more sense!) than "evolution".
you suck at what you do.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 09:06:44 AM »
Without Christianity the world would be ignorant. You would not like the whole world to be like Japan would you?

This made me giggle. Those damned ignorant Japanese...
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Bushido

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »

Blow me.

So you admit to having no leg to stand on.

I'm sorry. I don't understand what your conclusion is. Would you mind rephrasing that?

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »

?

Bushido

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »
exactly. BTW, where the fcuk did you come from?

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »
The crevice of your worst fails.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
It's the illegitimate child of a horrible love line.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:08:35 PM by Daedalus »

?

TheRationalTheist

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »

It's difficult to explain why (some christians) can do such good, since you would dissmiss it as superstition. Man is corrupt and so are false religions