Earths curve

• 147 Replies
Re: Earths curve
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
Something that is probable, means that it's percentage is high. You said because it's possible, it's probable. That is not true.

By probable, I meant that a probability exists. Although I believe you misinterpreted my statement, it's possible that I did not word it correctly. Kiss and make up? ;)

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »
By probable, I meant that a probability exists. Although I believe you misinterpreted my statement, it's possible that I did not word it correctly. Kiss and make up? ;)

That's fine. A probability exists for everything really. That's where plausibility comes in.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »

That's fine. A probability exists for everything really. That's where plausibility comes in.

Which was my point to begin with, which you apparently didn't agree on. :\

Also, I'm supporting my previous argument with this scientific chart.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »

You invoked Occam, and I said we aren't arguing probabilities. Both RE and FE have probabilities. RE is more probable than FE, clearly. But we still aren't arguing the probabilities of them. If anything, we are discussing under what conditions the FE would be true.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »

You invoked Occam, and I said we aren't arguing probabilities. Both RE and FE have probabilities. RE is more probable than FE, clearly. But we still aren't arguing the probabilities of them. If anything, we are discussing under what conditions the FE would be true.

However, Occam's Razor applies to burden of proof. It is the job of FE theorists to provide proof for their theory; not for RE theorists to disprove the FE theory. The Razor was just another example to try and clarify this.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2007, 03:25:33 PM »
However, Occam's Razor applies to burden of proof. It is the job of FE theorists to provide proof for their theory; not for RE theorists to disprove the FE theory. The Razor was just another example to try and clarify this.

Well, that will only bring about philosophical debate. In the end, neither side can actually be victorious. The burden of proof is on the FE, definitely, but nothing will come of it.
objectively good

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »

Well, one, Occam's Razor is nice and all, but really it means nothing.  Its just a principle that can be ignored - its really has no basis other than it sounds good and is useful because it makes things easier - not necessarily more correct.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
You can from a strattelite.
hahahahahaha

Now I know why you spam instead of post in legitimate topics.   

:D

You're my hero, sokarul.  <3
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »
You can from a strattelite.
hahahahahaha

Now I know why you spam instead of post in legitimate topics.   

:D

You're my hero, sokarul.  <3

That post was a joke right?  I mean a stratellite can't even come close tot he distance away needed.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »
Yes, sokarul, the post was a joke.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2007, 09:38:39 PM »
Well, that will only bring about philosophical debate. In the end, neither side can actually be victorious. The burden of proof is on the FE, definitely, but nothing will come of it.

Every single person on earth sees a Flat Earth every day of their life.

Ergo, the burden of proof is on the Round Earthers to prove their hypothetical model of the earth.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:54:26 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2007, 09:47:15 PM »

Ergo, the burden of proof is on the Round Earthers to prove their hypothetical model of the earth.
Burden met: Read The RE Primer. Experiment #0001 shows that seeing the small section of the Earth's surface as relatively flat is consistent with RE.

« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »

That's all one is capable of seeing. The Earth is so big that from standing on the ground looking out at it, you only see flat. Anyone with an open mind would of course know that just because you SEE it as flat doesn't mean it is. A different perspective can change everything. We should fly you to the moon.

The "FLY TOM TO THE MOON FOUNDATION". It should only cost about 29,000,000 dollars, depending on going rates. I think we should ask Diego or whatever his name is for a generous donation. He seems to be very wealthy considering he has plans to dig through the Earth.

?

Pope Zera

• A Firm Believer in NOTHING
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »
That manatee is the greatest thing to ever grace the interwebs.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
That manatee is the greatest thing to ever grace the interwebs.

How you can't prefer the moon is baffling.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2007, 08:28:07 AM »
As the official flat earth society spokesman, I am obliged to inform you all that that map is an incorrect depiction of the flat earth model.

« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
As the official flat earth society spokesman, I am obliged to inform you all that that map is an incorrect depiction of the flat earth model.

Yeah, Mephistopheles should be in the upper-left corner.

« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2007, 01:33:05 PM »
How come when you look out to sea on a clear day you can clearly sea the curve of the earth?.

did this get answered somewhere and I missed it? Just checking...

narcberry

« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2007, 02:06:25 PM »
How come when you look out to sea on a clear day you can clearly sea the curve of the earth?.

Yes, you cannot see the curve of the earth below 60,000 feet.

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2007, 02:20:25 PM »

Yes, you cannot see the curve of the earth below 60,000 feet.

Sure you can. Suppose you're in a boat in the middle of the Pacific, looking out all around you. What is it that you see?

narcberry

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
A giant plane that fades off in the distance.

« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »
A giant plane that fades off in the distance.

You don't see a horizon?

« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2007, 03:34:32 PM »
<crickets>

narcberry

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »
... I see a flat horizon. Please provide a picture demonstrating the curve of the earth's horizon at that altitude.

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
... I see a flat horizon. Please provide a picture demonstrating the curve of the earth's horizon at that altitude.

I wasn't suggesting that you would see anything other than a flat horizon. It is precisely that horizon which show the curvature of the Earth. Why else would you see a horizon at all?

narcberry

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
You're seeing a planar conic, how does that translate to a spherical conic?

« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »
You're seeing a planar conic, how does that translate to a spherical conic?

If the surface is flat, why does there exist a point at a finite distance beyond which I cannot see the surface (or another boat sitting on it)? The existence of a horizon necessarily implies curvature of the surface on an axis directed from the observer towards the horizon.