Rhumb Lines and Great Circles

• 64 Replies

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
Re: Rhumb Lines and Great Circles
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2007, 11:54:27 AM »
2 yards south of the north pole (in RE), how long will a straight line allow you to travel directly east?

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »
I'm asking again:

1) Why, on a flat Earth, do you have to constantly change your "bearing" in order to keep a constant Eastwards "bearing"

You don't.  An Eastwards bearing is an Eastwards bearing...nice try at a trick question though.

Yeah yeah... Okay:
1) Why, on a flat Earth, do you have to constantly change your direction in order to keep a constant Eastwards bearing?

It's the same for RE...

No, it's not. (At least if you think of the Earth's surface as a manifold...)

The only place on the RE where you don't have to change direction to continue an East or West bearing is the Equator, as I have already stated.  Trekky is correct in saying that you have to turn the opposite direction South of the Equator.  If we can prove that you do, we can prove this FE flawed.
OMG!

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
bump

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »
In FE, rhumb lines are always geodesics. In real life, rhumb lines are not always geodesics. Hence, the Earth is not flat.

Can anyone refute this?

You've never proven that Rhumb lines are always geodesics on FE. Common sense says that even on an FE, Rhumb lines would still not always be geodesics.

And as for your constant "direction" changing to keep going East, have you read the FAQ? It's pretty self-explanatory.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
In FE, rhumb lines are always geodesics. In real life, rhumb lines are not always geodesics. Hence, the Earth is not flat.

Can anyone refute this?

You've never proven that Rhumb lines are always geodesics on FE. Common sense says that even on an FE, Rhumb lines would still not always be geodesics.

And as for your constant "direction" changing to keep going East, have you read the FAQ? It's pretty self-explanatory.

This is getting quite technical! I don't think that right now I can put up much of an argument. Maybe I'll think about this a little more...

I did read the FAQ but I can't recall this topic right now. I'll have a look through it again later.